Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
Painter and Decorator 4421-11

A painter placed an ad for part time painter in todays local paper for 4 hours a day doing shit jobs he did not want and had over 100 telephone calls, poor sod could not use his phone today.

http://jobs.byron.com.au/QLD-Gold-Co...-13775209.html
Hubby is a painter and has not had to worry about work for the last 4 years its been flooding in but of late its been tough.

He was out of work for 5 weeks and we were beginning to panic but things have started to look up agian.

Mags
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

can you back this up with facts.

we have friends who live in south nsw merimbula, they dont think so, house on market now for over 12 months, not a sniff and dropped price again last week........dont believe the "green shoots" theory. a uk government junior minister had the sack earlier in the year for spouting the same comments as you have.
Couple of observations. 1) I'm not a government official. 2) I'm talking about this particular part of Oz, not the UK - haven't got a clue (and nor do I give a shit) what's going on in blighty. 3) It's completely irrelevant what's happening outside Oz (in this instance), as every country is different - the UK is considerably more ****ed than Oz is.

But to your main question. I have no facts and figures (though they're fairly worthless anyway) just happens that three of my very good friend are real estate agents. They've all said the same thing to me - that property is shifting in a way it hasn't done for several years. In this particular part of NSW the bottom was reached a long time before the 'toxic debt' issue brought the world's financial system to its knees - so I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if things started happening here first too. Yes, you could argue that my realtor chums are doing the age old 'talking the market up' thing - but they have no reason to with me - I'm not buying or selling and as I say, they're mates. Besides, one of them's sold so many properties in the last month, that he just put a sizeable deposit down on a fishing boat. Plus there's local news stories like this and this which kind of back up the comments that I 'spouted'.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hutch
I have no facts and figures (though they're fairly worthless anyway) just happens that three of my very good friend are real estate agents. They've all said the same thing to me - that property is shifting in a way it hasn't done for several years. In this particular part of NSW the bottom was reached a long time before the 'toxic debt' issue brought the world's financial system to its knees .
One of the problems is that people see the high rising prices that are mentioned in the News, but don't see the others.

For example:

The following figures are from Australian Bureau of Statistics figures and show the average annual increases between June 2002 and July 2008

Darwin 13.35% from $188,300 to $422,300
<snip>
Sydney 4.57% from $394,000 to $515,000

Note that these are average annual % increases over a 6 year period, based on the Median Price of Established House Transfers.

People will see that Sydney used to be double the price of Darwin, but now they are very close to the same value.

Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:05 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The MODL is reviewed twice a year to take into consideration existing and emerging skills shortages. This does not mean the list is changed twice a year. Changes only occur if there has been a significant change in labour market trends.

Maybe Mr Wayne Swan wrote this list out, he is the original ostrich
That's not your average kind of ostrich
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:11 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The MODL is reviewed twice a year to take into consideration existing and emerging skills shortages. This does not mean the list is changed twice a year. Changes only occur if there has been a significant change in labour market trends.

Maybe Mr Wayne Swan wrote this list out, he is the original ostrich
I reckon that ostrich deserves a bite in the bum!
Attached Thumbnails People of Great Britan - Take Note!-dogsteeth.jpg  
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

But to your main question. I have no facts and figures (though they're fairly worthless anyway) just happens that three of my very good friend are real estate agents. They've all said the same thing to me - that property is shifting in a way it hasn't done for several years. In this particular part of NSW the bottom was reached a long time before the 'toxic debt' issue brought the world's financial system to its knees - so I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if things started happening here first too. Yes, you could argue that my realtor chums are doing the age old 'talking the market up' thing - but they have no reason to with me - I'm not buying or selling and as I say, they're mates. Besides, one of them's sold so many properties in the last month, that he just put a sizeable deposit down on a fishing boat..
I was walking round the back streets of Berry last weekend after a trip to the market and it was really noticeable just how many properties had SOLD splashed across the realtor boards... I know Berry is hardly typical of the Illawarra property market, but even houses in Berry were not moving only a few weeks back... some definite bargain hunting going on.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:47 am
ABCDiamond

First home buyers have been out in force.

The mortgage companies have confirmed that the average first home mortgage recently has been $280,600 and most commonly at about 90-95%.

This shows that the average price paid for first homes would be around $295,000 - $310,000

Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
First home buyers have been out in force.

The mortgage companies have confirmed that the average first home mortgage recently has been $280,600 and most commonly at about 90-95%.

This shows that the average price paid for first homes would be around $295,000 - $310,000
The properties I was seeing in Berry are not first homes... not unless there are some seriously minted first time buyers about. Lots of houses in the seven figures price bracket in Berry district. The town is a favourite place for people moving out o Sydney. I would guess its one of the most expensive places in Oz outside of the major cities.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:21 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louH
What I am saying is I see a lot of posts asking if there are jobs in a specific location or in a specific skill and (with a few exceptions) the answer always comes back from those on the ground as no, No and NO.
I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to lull yourself into a false sense of security. However, neither does it make sense to base your life choices on the opinions of random people from the Internet. If you ask about a job on this forum, many of the replies will be from those who are feeling frustrated about jobhunting, and they'll take the chance to rant because (a) it relieves their feelings and (b) it might put off new immigrants who could reduce their chances of finding a job. Not surprising that you'll see them state firmly that there are no jobs.

Thus you get posts saying "I keep reading about the lack of jobs" - of course; people keep posting about it, but that doesn't mean that they're accurately reporting the situation. If things really were as dire in the job market as the worst posts say, then I'd be travelling to work in empty train carriages next to a traffic-free freeway on my way to the deserted centre of Perth.

b
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by london52
Broken thumb.
Friend of mine back in the UK broke his hand. He's a railway technician who fell out of a train (luckily stationary) and cracked his hand on a rail on the way down. He went to A & E. Also that night there had been a big fight with the cops bringing in all the injured. The A & E staff saw his broken fist and naturally assumed that he had been in the fight. They made him wait for hours until they realised he wasn't part of the brawl
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Housing's at the bottom of the cycle, home loans have never been cheaper, interest rates are low and there are plenty of deals to be had.
No chance! Australia still has the highest house prices relative to income in the developed world. The only way is down....and a long way too.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
No chance! Australia still has the highest house prices relative to income in the developed world. The only way is down....and a long way too.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-25658,00.html
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
You don't live here, I do, I'm watching first-hand the movements of the property market here and I'm telling you that (in this area) property has reached the bottom and is on the way back up. I honestly couldn't give a shit if it's over-priced - as far as I'm concerned it's *all* overpriced, but you can either piss and whine about the cost of it all - or get in the game.

I mean seriously, I sold a poxy little two bedroom bungalow (built in 1980) in the UK on 400m2 for a quarter of a million quid a couple of years ago - are you suggesting that's somehow preferable to the $400k I paid for a four bedroom two storey home with pool on an 800m2 block, five minutes walk from a stunning beach lapped by the Pacific Ocean?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Yea ... and in the same paper - one day later.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...001942,00.html
Thousands are diving into property, both owner-occupiers and, to a lesser extent, investors, despite the increased risks of unemployment, price falls and, eventually, rising interest rates. Attracted by super low interest rates, government grants and double-digit percentage price falls in some parts of the country, many are judging, rightly or wrongly, that it is a good time to buy.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

So who's the Aussie that has moved to Swindon?

Last edited by Deutschmaster; Apr 15th 2009 at 5:15 am. Reason: Grammar correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.