Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
This woman has a double aussie univesity degree, qualified over 5 years, and only has casual work. Many nurses only have casual hours, perm jobs are not as easy to get as many would think. Govt has begun to make big cutbacks to health spending guess its much like any other industry. If they chop $$$ jobs get the chop too.

In Perth there are loads of nursing jobs available and on a perm contract.
The organisation I work for will even pay for carers to train to an EN position.

Plenty of hours available for RNs ENs and Clinical Nurses they are screaming out for them.

It has got to the stage where we cannot get any nurses that carers are now being trained to dispense medications.

Mags

Last edited by maggy; Apr 8th 2009 at 7:41 am.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
I'm sort of in the same boat. There isn't the type of work (IT Application Developer) in Perth that I did in the UK. I've tried applying for other IT work, that I'm well able to do, but with no luck. Understandable I suppose that an employer would choose someone with an exact match to the job spec but still frustrating. In the meantime I'm doing short term contract work.
When I was looking for work in Perth I faxed my resume and cover letter to every organisation that I was interested in even if they had not advertised any vacant positions.

I was gob smacked with the responses I recieved.

Its worth a try.

Good luck.

Mags
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bu1lder
So basicly what your saying is because you can't get a job ....no-one can?
What I am saying is I see a lot of posts asking if there are jobs in a specific location or in a specific skill and (with a few exceptions) the answer always comes back from those on the ground as no, No and NO.

Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security if you are over in the UK and thinking of giving this a go. Be prepared for the worst.

There are a lot of contributors to this forum who will agree with these opinions - its tough and giving up a job in the UK in the current environment is a very risky option. My occupation is on the critical skills list, I've been in Oz for several years so have local experience and its still tough. Without that local experience its even tougher.

The final part of the post was a vent - its an open forum I can vent if I want to!

Last edited by louH; Apr 8th 2009 at 8:01 am.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:55 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by maggy
When I was looking for work in Perth I faxed my resume and cover letter to every organisation that I was interested in even if they had not advertised any vacant positions.

I was gob smacked with the responses I recieved.

Its worth a try.

Good luck.

Mags
Done that with no luck.

IT is different to nursing. You can't offshore nursing jobs to India
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Hang on in there louH! I do understand how frustrating it is. My OH has been told he is overqualified, will be bored, not got exactly the right experience etc etc. He'd like the chance to try & be bored thank you
He has a job offer now but will mean us living apart for time being. Needs must I guess!
Wallow in self pity tonight, have a few drinks etc & then tomorrow you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself down & get back out there. You WILL get there in the end
Hey Sallyclaire congrats to your OH - you guys were struggling for a while back there. Hope it works out for you.

As for a drink - gonna dive into a vat of cheap red wine and forget about it!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
Hey Sallyclaire congrats to your OH - you guys were struggling for a while back there. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks, he doesn't do unemployment well

Have a large glass on me!
Attached Thumbnails People of Great Britan - Take Note!-wine.jpg  
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BAY
Done that with no luck.

IT is different to nursing. You can't offshore nursing jobs to India
Exactly the reason I got out of application development and Microsoft windows management. There's more ex-painters / ex-tourist guides and ex-gogo dancers doing Microsoft than actual computer-savvy people.
Get out of application developement : You missed the boat that sunk about 7 years ago mate. Change carreer.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:15 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple rain
I am a nurse, I have my pick of jobs. Where I work now most of the nurses have permanent contrats and we are always looking for new staff, as are a lot of organisations I liase with
Have to agree P i could work every day/night if i wanted to
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:16 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH

Hang in there Lou and have a wee drink on me
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:28 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scamp1976
Exactly the reason I got out of application development and Microsoft windows management. There's more ex-painters / ex-tourist guides and ex-gogo dancers doing Microsoft than actual computer-savvy people.
Get out of application developement : You missed the boat that sunk about 7 years ago mate. Change carreer.
In effect made that choice when I came to Perth. If I wanted an IT job I would have gone to Sydney or Melbourne. I left the UK one year ago when the IT department of a large, well known insurance company, where I worked was outsourced to TATA of India. Best choice I ever made. I came to Perth for the adventure and lifestyle.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
Depends what you do. If I had your username I'd sure as shit not be contemplating moving here.
Fair comment mate, but you don't know me or my financial situation either. So each to their own I say.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scamp1976

Must admit the organisation I work for only recently decided to bring in computers and someone had to train the nursing staff how to use the new application.

I ended up training 9 out of ten staff how to use icare application and to do this I only had to attend a 4 day training course.

Mags
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit the organisation I work for only recently decided to bring in computers and someone had to train the nursing staff how to use the new application.

I ended up training 9 out of ten staff how to use icare application and to do this I only had to attend a 4 day training course.

Mags
You mean you didn't need a licence?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
You mean you didn't need a licence?

Nah a few days to prove I could type with more than 2 fingers was all that was required lol
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nah a few days to prove I could type with more than 2 fingers was all that was required lol
That must be a first for Aus!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.