people

Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:14 am
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Default people

Hi my wife has been hearing some rumerous that we might not be welcolme in perth as we are from Scotland and are not locals.

can someone advise if this is correct or just the usual people over reacting to a one off incident
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: people

Originally Posted by mickpower75
Hi my wife has been hearing some rumerous that we might not be welcolme in perth as we are from Scotland and are not locals.

can someone advise if this is correct or just the usual people over reacting to a one off incident
Hi Mick

Think you hit the nail on the head and its somebody reacting to a one off incident. We are scottish and were originally moving to perth, did a reccie there (twice) everybody we met was welcoming and friendly. We ended up not moving to perth but to adelaide but for no other reason that the house prices went sky high so we changed our plans. We've found everyone of all nationalities, race, religion to be be very friendly and welcoming in adelaide as well.

Of course, like everywhere there will always be people of varying nationalities who are not friendly or welcoming but I truly believe them to be in the minority. Please don't worry, I'm sure you will meet lots of new people who will welcome you with open arms.

Nikki
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a new one on me!I have found most Aussies don't care where you come from.I am not Scottish but I can't see why they would be a problem with Scottish people.Sue.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep..... absolutely spot on... It doesn't matter where you are from, if you are not from perth they wont like you.... they dislike ALL incoming migrants equally.... Scotland, Ireland, England Iceland.... they hate the lot of us....

This is obviously why so many migrants still choose Perth...

(i lied, the locals are kinda friendly.... it's the cashed up pommes that will hate you...)
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies don’t pick on foreigners in Perth. They wouldn’t dare being as they are in the minority.

Seriously, It is much like the UK really. If you adapt to the local culture rather than expecting 21 million Aussies to change their ways now you are in their country you will be accepted readily. And if you take the piss out of yourself for being a pom (yes, I know Scottish is not strictly pom) they will love you for that.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:19 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I hear all kinds of accents around me. In the six months we've been here I have not once been asked where I am from.

Only one person has been unfriendly. But I realised it wasn't personal - she was a generally stuck up cow.

Be prepared to fit in and try out new things and you'll be fine.

Gina

P.S. Forgot to say: husband is Scottish.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Probably just one persons bad experience - I hear more English/ Scottish accents in my office than Aussie ones (not taking into account those folks from Indian, Malaysia, Indonesian etc - quite a multicultural workplace). As for the shops in & around Joondalup - every other accent is from the UK so I guess you'll be fine. Son has had no hassle at school as most of the kids are of UK decent (I think those born overseas outnumber those born in Oz).

Mind you I worked with a scottish guy who came back from Perth in the mid 90's and they seemed to have a hard time of it with comments like "oh your scottish", dont know if living in Mandurah back then had anything to do with it or not. So some people do run into it but then I guess you get it everywhere.

Being an English man working in Scotland I used to get stick all the time (oh but your english and "we'll let you off because your English" but none of it was malicious and it certianly wasnt nothing I couldnt handle and it certainly wasnt meant/taken in a bad way - plus I always knew how to get one over on them - (winding them up about North Sea Oil and Council Tax was always a good one and usually shut them up

Now I've just got the Scotsman who became an Oz Citizen last week trying to wind me up with the usual whinging pomme stuff - I keep reminding him that I live with 2 whinging Aussie's !
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:09 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

It troubles me to hear Scottish people worrying about whether anyone hates them or not. Try being English! We love the Scottish, we love Scotland, we love malt whisky, love The Proclaimers and Simple Minds .... but the Sweaty Socks hate the English so we can't win, and the Aussies hate us too half the time, they just can't express it as they are mostly related to us, except when the cricket's on of course.

Relax, Perth is a cool city and as soon as you open your mouth they will love your accent and take you to their hearts - but they just know you won't get your wallet out when the glasses are empty!!!!