Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

Wikiposts

Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

It also depends on whether you choose to take the pension as a lump sum or as annual income.

I am already getting my pension and am liable for Australian tax on it.

The fact that is index linked more than compensates for that.

You also pay tax on your NHS pension if you continue to live in the UK.

Given the sums involved this is an area where independent expert advice is needed.

G
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

A FSS will not 'grow' each year in the way that a PERSONAL pension does, it is a completely different animal. I was given my advice by a Centerlink Super lecturer and thats good enough for me
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally Posted by CasG
I've been here for just over two years, and will be going for Citizenship in August (due to a few months on a temp 457 visa)

I have an NHS pension frozen in England, and was wondering whether to leave it there, or transfer it over to my Super here - any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks, Cas
Hello Cas
Hope you are alright. I've been looking at my NHS pension too and wondering what the hell to do with it, if you find anything out make sure you post it on forum.
How soon can we apply for our citizenships? I read somewhere you can apply before the 2 yr mark provided your interview is after 2 yrs?
Mandy
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
A FSS will not 'grow' each year in the way that a PERSONAL pension does, it is a completely different animal. I was given my advice by a Centerlink Super lecturer and thats good enough for me

Good point....they are very different.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus

This is the reason so many people came unstuck when they transferred their pensions to private schemes a few years ago (one of Maggie's bright ideas).....and why a lot are still seeking compensation.

G