Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Child Benefit once in OZ

UK Child Benefit once in OZ

Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:35 pm
Loving the lifestyle !

paula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant future
Default UK Child Benefit once in OZ

Ok have been asked this question loads and don;t know the answer so maybe somebody from BE does.

Are you still entitled to recieve Child Benefit once you leave for OZ?

Do you have to inform Inland revenue that you are leaving the UK?

Any info gratefully recieved

many Thanks

paula xx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:44 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Child Benefit once in OZ

You are not entitled to Child Benefit unless you are living in the UK - you need to inform them when you move.

Not sure if you have to inform Inland Revenue - but its not a bad idea as you may be entitled to a tax rebate, also if you fill in a tax return you need an address for them to contact you.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:04 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm

Here is the info we discussed earlier about the leaving the country form p85
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

lee on solent is a jewel in the roughlee on solent is a jewel in the roughlee on solent is a jewel in the roughlee on solent is a jewel in the roughlee on solent is a jewel in the rough

you can apply for child benefit in oz if you are a permanent resident.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:16 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paula&leedevine
Ok have been asked this question loads and don;t know the answer so maybe somebody from BE does.

many Thanks

paula xx
Why on earth would you be entitiled to UK child benefit when living in Australia??

Really
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

many Thanks

paula xx
Hi Paula,

We emailed the IR to inform them that we were leaving (I also called, just in case)
It's a really straight forward process.....
Mind you, I've heard you must still keep an eye on your UK bank account as some people continue to get paid This happened to a friend..she then had to pay £1600 back
Tanya
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

many Thanks

paula xx
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436238
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

many Thanks

paula xx
Once they know you have left you will have to pay back anything you were paid from the date you left....fortunately we thought this might happen so didn't spend any of it and just returned it to them once they asked for it!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
This happened to a friend..she then had to pay £1600 back
Tanya
Just curious but how exactly could the UK government force somebody to pay anything back when they are not resident in the UK?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Once they know you have left you will have to pay back anything you were paid from the date you left....fortunately we thought this might happen so didn't spend any of it and just returned it to them once they asked for it!!
Very wise, I've had a tax bill for tax I dont owe but had to pay up and try and sort it out later, plus everyone I know with kids who used to get Family Tax Credits in the UK had a bill this year asking for money back.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yanH
Just curious but how exactly could the UK government force somebody to pay anything back when they are not resident in the UK?
I hope they can't we owe them some money according to a letter I had forwarded to me from the UK.
Also had a $3400 tax rebate from them 2 weeks ago...RESULT
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The S's
I hope they can't we owe them some money according to a letter I had forwarded to me from the UK.
Also had a $3400 tax rebate from them 2 weeks ago...RESULT
I know I'm starting something here and I really don't want to but you're happy to take money from them after you've left the UK but not happy to give it back when you're not owed it anyway? I really don't want to start anything and can understand where you're coming from but it's just a bit suss to me.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
I know I'm starting something here and I really don't want to but you're happy to take money from them after you've left the UK but not happy to give it back when you're not owed it anyway? I really don't want to start anything and can understand where you're coming from but it's just a bit suss to me.
I don't see anything wrong with UK nationals who are in Oz on a 457 getting Child Benefit. If you are out in Oz on a 457 then you are not entitled to anything from the Australian Governement so for people in these circumstances its not as if they are claiming twice!

Last edited by yanH; Mar 22nd 2007 at 9:39 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see anything wrong with UK nationals who are in Oz on a 457 getting Child Benefit. If you are out in Oz on a 457 then you are not entitled to anything from the Australian Governement so for people in these circumstances its not as if they are claiming twice!
But they don't live in Britain so are not entitled to UK benefits. They choose to be here on a 457 it's not the UK government's fault. If they don't like it,get PR.

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 22nd 2007 at 11:44 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

....but you're not contributing anything to the UK economy anymore. Why would they be entitled to UK benefits if not living in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.