Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:18 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

I've been here for just over two years, and will be going for Citizenship in August (due to a few months on a temp 457 visa)

I have an NHS pension frozen in England, and was wondering whether to leave it there, or transfer it over to my Super here - any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks, Cas
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all
Default Re: Pension transfer ...your thoughts please

As its a final Salary scheme ( I would think ) leave it there. The pot of money that you would have to live off until you died would never empty, unlike the lump sum that a Superfund has.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
As its a final Salary scheme ( I would think ) leave it there. The pot of money that you would have to live off until you died would never empty, unlike the lump sum that a Superfund has.
Yes it is a FSS.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it where it is....the NHS pension is one of the best investments you will ever find.

G
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

I've been wondering about the same thing. In July the tax laws are changing in Oz and I believe this will then affect pensions held in Britain also i.e. they will tax income from foreign pension funds. Not sure if this affects NHS pensions???
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:24 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Leave it where it is....the NHS pension is one of the best investments you will ever find.

G
So what happening when your due to be paid out G..........Would it be our responsibilty to contact them, and then how easy would it be to get paid out with it being froze for so long?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
I've been wondering about the same thing. In July the tax laws are changing in Oz and I believe this will then affect pensions held in Britain also i.e. they will tax income from foreign pension funds. Not sure if this affects NHS pensions???

Income from pension funds is already taxed in Australia

You are taxed on your worldwide income regardless of source so what changes?

G
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Issie
So what happening when your due to be paid out G..........Would it be our responsibilty to contact them, and then how easy would it be to get paid out with it being froze for so long?
'Ey up Issie

I presume you would need to contact them....but you should keep them informed of your address anyway.

It will then be paid regardless of where you happen to live.

Remember it is index linked.....not to be sniffed at.

G
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

Income from pension funds is already taxed in Australia

You are taxed on your worldwide income regardless of source so what changes?

G
Not according to this article:

http://www.byebyeblighty.com/1/pensi...-to-australia/

Apparently if we transfer the pension before July it can be taken tax free on retirement, if not it gets taxed.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Apparently if we transfer the pension before July it can be taken tax free on retirement, if not it gets taxed.
So, what should I do with my NHS pension, if it is such a good investment as G says??

Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:53 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

'Ey up Issie

I presume you would need to contact them....but you should keep them informed of your address anyway.

It will then be paid regardless of where you happen to live.

Remember it is index linked.....not to be sniffed at.

G
Thanks G

Hope your well hun
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:56 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We spoke to AMP pensions a few years ago here in Aus & even they said leave it in UK.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

You are taxed on your worldwide income.

www.ato.gov.au

G
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

I think you are confusing transferring the pension with receiving the pension.

Any income is taxed in Australia....including pensions paid there.

G
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

You are taxed on your worldwide income.

www.ato.gov.au

G
I know. However, the new pensions rules seem to make it a bit more complicated regarding transferring now or later. From the article I quoted previously...

"From 1 July, however, tax legislation will change and Standard Life is advising investors to consider the implications.

For example, if a migrant moves to Australia and leaves cash in a UK personal pension today, tax will be due in Australia on the growth in the fund each year until it is transferred or they started taking benefits. On reaching retirement, all of the income will be taxed as income - as will be the tax-free lump sum. This will not change.

Anyone emigrating before July 1, who is sure the move is permanent, would be advised to transfer their benefits to Australia shortly after emigrating. This strategy will incur little or no tax on the growth and the whole fund can be taken tax-free at retirement."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.