Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pension transfer advice

Pension transfer advice

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pension transfer advice

Hi Folks, been a while .

We moved from the UK to Townsville back in 2005 and have since moved down to the Gold Coast for work. Absolutely 100% settled and loving the Aussie lifestyle.
Now we are getting a bit older I am looking at my Super and my mind has turned to my UK pension which is still there in a Local Government Pension scheme. We decided to leave it there when we moved as we didn't know whether our new life would work out - the rest as they say is history.

I've been paying into the Qld Local Government Super for all those years and have a decent balance now but am looking to move my UK pension here as I'll need it in a few years and of course god only knows where the UK economy will be after Boris has finished with Brexit. There is a healthy balance and I expect to be rogered by the ATO. Does anyone have any advice or can recommend an expert on such things (preferably around the Gold Coast).

Thanks in advance

Rob
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Howzat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pension transfer advice

I'm pretty sure that government schemes are not transferrable under any circumstances. Private or company schemes can be, but its fairly complex depending on values.
john
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks John, they are transferable from the UK to Aus but only to funds that don't allow them to be released before the age of 60 (I found out today). Seems to be hugely complicated with the Tax issue making it even more complex. Not sure whether I can transfer it to a fund that ticks these boxes and back to the Government Super or not. Seems near impossible to find anyone with expertise in this area. Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2019, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

If Boris is allowed to be 'finished with Brexit' you'd want to be leaving your money in the UK. On the other hand, if Corbyn becomes PM - get everything out, quickly.