Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Peak time drving times from Sydney central to suburbs

Peak time drving times from Sydney central to suburbs

Old Mar 14th 2006, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough
Default Peak time drving times from Sydney central to suburbs

Hi All

Wonder if there is anyone that could help, we are Just trying to get an idea of the rush hour driving times, my husband will be working in Rushcutters Bay hours 8.30am til 4.30pm. I have had a look on Map makers and it has given me a guide ( details below but i asume this will not take into account the rush hours.

Northern Beaches
Palm Beach - 1hour
Warriewood - 36 miniutes
Manly - 22 minutes
Seaforth - 16 minutes

Northern Districts
Carlingford - 28 minutes
Epping - 23 minutes

Eastern Suburbs

Wollongong - 1 hr 21min
Malabar - 19 minutes
Coogee - 15 minutes
Bondi - 11 minutes

Perhaps if there is anyone that does any of these journeys in peak time, they could give us an idea of how much longer the driving times by car would be. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

Last edited by KelnIan; Mar 14th 2006 at 1:57 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Peak time drving times from Sydney central to suburbs

Can't help with these exact route but I've done the trip between Balmain and the Shire (round the edge of the central suburbs) and it takes the same whether in or out of rush hour. For my trips it depends completely on whether the traffic lights are in your favour as last week I did the leaving Sydney trip in the evening rush hour and it took me 50 minutes then the return a few hours later with very little traffic and it took just over an hour.

Similarly my bus to central sydney takes the same time at any time of the day.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:45 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KelnIan
Hi All

Wonder if there is anyone that could help, we are Just trying to get an idea of the rush hour driving times, my husband will be working in Rushcutters Bay hours 8.30am til 4.30pm. I have had a look on Map makers and it has given me a guide ( details below but i asume this will not take into account the rush hours.

Northern Beaches
Palm Beach - 1hour
Warriewood - 36 miniutes
Manly - 22 minutes
Seaforth - 16 minutes

Northern Districts
Carlingford - 28 minutes
Epping - 23 minutes

Eastern Suburbs

Wollongong - 1 hr 21min
Malabar - 19 minutes
Coogee - 15 minutes
Bondi - 11 minutes

Perhaps if there is anyone that does any of these journeys in peak time, they could give us an idea of how much longer the driving times by car would be. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks
Hi

I would take all those times with a pinch of salt ie Manly 22 minutes - as Spottydog says it really does all depend on the traffic lights - and there are a lot of them, and knowing when to move over from the inside lane which often disappears into the middle lane !

Going north from Rushcutters to the North Shore, Northern Beaches etc you can avoid some of the lights by using the tunnel but there is a charge for that privilege - as with most tunnels and motorways in Sydney.

Your obvious area to live would be anywhere south of the harbour, ie Eastern Suburbs but I have no idea of prices there for buying and/or renting. Mind you, having done the journey out of the city towards the airport by the Eastern Distributor is also not a lot of fun at the wrong time of day.

Decisions, decisions !!

Good luck

Jim
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:01 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KelnIan
Hi All

Northern Beaches
Palm Beach - 1hour
Warriewood - 36 miniutes
Manly - 22 minutes
Seaforth - 16 minutes

Northern Districts
Carlingford - 28 minutes
Epping - 23 minutes

Eastern Suburbs

Wollongong - 1 hr 21min
Malabar - 19 minutes
Coogee - 15 minutes
Bondi - 11 minutes

Many Thanks
The travel times are based on being able to go 40kph in a 40 zone etc, whereas in reality, you may average 10 or 15kmph!

22 mins from Manly is exceedingly optomistic! You have to go over the pinch point of the Spit Bridge, as well as down Military Road. When I have gone from Cremorne to Manly on the weekend it takes 30 mins, let alone from the City. I would probably double it (even the bus, with the benefit of a bus lane therefore overtaking the queueing cars, takes 20 mins from Cremorne).

Same goes for Epping, as you would probably need to go down the Epping Road through Lane Cove/Artarmon etc. Used to live in Lane Cove and reckon to allow 45 mins for a drive to City from Epping.

Public transport is usually a lot quicker in peak times due to a large number of dedicated bus lanes - although obviously not as convenient! You may want to check out this site to see how long the journey would take on busses/ferry etc. I have found that the journey times are pretty accurate for the busses - although trains are notoriously crap!

http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp

Hope that helps!

steve
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:08 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

We looked at buses when we thought that one of us might have to commute into the CBD from here (Warriewood) and the timetable indicated that the journey would take approximately an hour, so in my estimation it would take about 1 hour 20 mins from Palm Beach.

Sorry can't be of any help with any of the other suburbs you listed.

Binbird