Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If I moved back what are tax/pension implications?

If I moved back what are tax/pension implications?

Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:08 am
Just Joined

redmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I moved back what are tax/pension implications?

We have been here for 8 weeks now and have found it very difficult to get jobs. I have sent off cvs, lodged with agencies and even visited various companies. I have not been out of work before and had worked for a major company in the UK for over 20 years which closed down and I was made redundant. I am not too sure about job prospects back in the UK. However I feel that I have no contacts here and it is very demoralising to not even be able to get an interview for a job paying $16 an hour here. I have a HC licence (but everyone wants Brisbane experience) and was a mechanic a few years ago.

A lot of my workmates that were also made redundant are now setting up small businesses in the UK as they have received help/advice and retraining (which is something you just do not get here) and I am now very tempted to just cut my losses and move back to the UK with my family (the kids love it here but we are fed up with no jobs). I am not highly qualified so the future seems quite bleak for us here. I would like to set up as a painter/decorator/tiler/handyman and I would have lots of contacts in the UK whereas here that would be impossible as I have been told that for painting, decorating and tiling you have to be licensed and that can take years.

Can we just move back to the UK as if we had never left with regard to child benefit, tax, pension, etc?

I have only worked one day!!! here in Australia so where does that leave me with tax implications here. I have not claimed family tax benefit yet as we are living off our savings and planned to claim at the end of the tax year.

Any help or advice appreciated.

It may be nice here but I wish I had never come.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:22 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I moved back what are tax/pension implications?

Originally Posted by redmini
We have been here for 8 weeks now and have found it very difficult to get jobs. I have sent off cvs, lodged with agencies and even visited various companies. I have not been out of work before and had worked for a major company in the UK for over 20 years which closed down and I was made redundant. I am not too sure about job prospects back in the UK. However I feel that I have no contacts here and it is very demoralising to not even be able to get an interview for a job paying $16 an hour here. I have a HC licence (but everyone wants Brisbane experience) and was a mechanic a few years ago.

A lot of my workmates that were also made redundant are now setting up small businesses in the UK as they have received help/advice and retraining (which is something you just do not get here) and I am now very tempted to just cut my losses and move back to the UK with my family (the kids love it here but we are fed up with no jobs). I am not highly qualified so the future seems quite bleak for us here. I would like to set up as a painter/decorator/tiler/handyman and I would have lots of contacts in the UK whereas here that would be impossible as I have been told that for painting, decorating and tiling you have to be licensed and that can take years.

Can we just move back to the UK as if we had never left with regard to child benefit, tax, pension, etc?

I have only worked one day!!! here in Australia so where does that leave me with tax implications here. I have not claimed family tax benefit yet as we are living off our savings and planned to claim at the end of the tax year.

Any help or advice appreciated.

It may be nice here but I wish I had never come.
Sorry you are feeling so down about it all. I cannot help with your questions, but hope that you are able to give it longer than 8 weeks to see if something comes up.
Its not always easy, is it?!
Good luck.
Steve
Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

if you call yourself a handyman and don't actually say you are a painter or decorator or whatever, you don't need a licence as far as we are aware(someone will probably shout me down here) it would be between you and the householder, however, i would not advise touching electrics or plumbing because they can come down on you very hard. my husband had his own business in uk for 20 years and can do everything but here on our own house had to have a licenced electrician and plumber to oversee/sign off his work for the council. he has got really frustrated by the system but at age 53 does not want to go to tafe/school. its easy to get an ABN and once you start putting your name around you are sure to get work, try leafletting houses round where you live. my hubby is in demand as he will do ALL the jobs, not get a seperate trade for everything, say in a bathroom, a tiler, a waterproofer (thats the funniest - a licence for painting the floor!)a painter, a carpenter... the list goes on. just think HANDYMAN
i hope you don't give up this early, anyway, good luck!
karen
Old Mar 15th 2006, 1:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by redmini
If you do return, you do just slot back into everything, especially after only a few weeks. Tell them you were on holiday if asked

I went back after 10 years, and the only problem I had was having been deleted from my Doctors list

If you do want to stay, I suggest taking any job you can get, and then work up. It won't take that long, and many others do similar.

For licence requirments, have a look at: http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Build...edALicence.htm

Do you need to be licenced?
BSA currently licences builders and trade contractors in many different classes of licence including those listed below.

A licence is required if an individual or company wants to carry out or supervise building work over the value of $1100 (including labour and materials),
or
wants to carry out or supervise work of any value in the following areas:
Plumbing and Drainage
Gasfitting
Termite Management - Chemical
Completed Residential Building Inspection
Fire Protection
Building Design
Site Classifier
Reading that, it would appear you can do many things without a licence, if it is under $1,100. I knew this was the case for NSW, but had been told, by someone on here, that it didn't apply to QLD.

It may be worth checking it, as something looks odd... It doesn't mention Electricians needing a licence (although that may be deaklt with by a seperate organisation)

Painter & Decorator does come under the BSA though, and therefore the $1,100 rule should apply to you.

Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Jadea will become famous soon enoughJadea will become famous soon enough

Hey, sorry I can not help you with you question, but I hope that everything will work out for you! Give it some more time!

I have a question to ask, which might sound a bit stupid, but in this forum I read a few posts about licences. In the UK, don't you need to have training/licences for most jobs? I've never lived in the UK, so I can only compare Germany to Autralia: Here (Germany) we start training after school/university in the job that we would like to do. Most trainings take 2,5-3 years. So you can't just get a job in a clothes store for example, you have to do a three year training in sales before you can do it. In training you earn about 400 Pound/month, so not a lot.
As far as I understand, the australian system works similiar. Am I right?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you do return, you do just slot back into everything, especially after only a few weeks. Tell them you were on holiday if asked

I went back after 10 years, and the only problem I had was having been deleted from my Doctors list

If you do want to stay, I suggest taking any job you can get, and then work up. It won't take that long, and many others do similar.

For licence requirments, have a look at: http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Build...edALicence.htm

Reading that, it would appear you can do many things without a licence, if it is under $1,100. I knew this was the case for NSW, but had been told, by someone on here, that it didn't apply to QLD.

It may be worth checking it, as something looks odd... It doesn't mention Electricians needing a licence (although that may be deaklt with by a seperate organisation)

Painter & Decorator does come under the BSA though, and therefore the $1,100 rule should apply to you.

The TRA will point you in the right direction for electrical licensing. AFAIK you have to have your skills assessed before they will consider putting you forward for a licence.

Last edited by WendyC; Mar 15th 2006 at 8:17 am.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jadea
Here (Germany) we start training after school/university in the job that we would like to do. Most trainings take 2,5-3 years. So you can't just get a job in a clothes store for example, you have to do a three year training in sales before you can do it. In training you earn about 400 Pound/month, so not a lot.
As far as I understand, the australian system works similiar. Am I right?
School leavers here often jump straight into shop assistant jobs, (clothes shops etc) with no training.