Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passports Lost/Stolen By Post Office!

Passports Lost/Stolen By Post Office!

Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:49 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Passports Lost/Stolen By Post Office!

Ours (4 passports) have gone missing as well! Are agents have been in touch with AHC and they have told them that our passports, with visas, were sent out on April 13th. They've been tracked to 'a sorting office somewhere'. Post office do not class them as lost until 15 working days after they were posted, even though they were sent recorded delivery.

In an age of fake ID's, stolen passports, illegal immigrants and terrorism, nobody does anything for 15 working days. How's that for being tight on security!

You can't claim compensation for 15 working days, so if you take the initiative and cancel your passports as soon as you have doubts, you can't claim. They tell you that you should have waited.

if you do wait 15 working days, who knowshow many fake ID's are floating about in your name!

So, come Thursday we can then cancel our passports apply for new ones, wait for them, apply for our visas again, wait for them and say hello to 37 new immigrants in the country, all called Steve Bannister.

Who's proud to be British? Not me!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:55 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passports Lost/Stolen By Post Office!

I really feel for you mate...............................thats complete and utter bollox that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 days is a ridiculous (hmmm thats no spelt right) amount of time to expect you to wait......especially when it was sent special delivery

Whats special about it I ask myself.....should be called SB= Shit Delivery!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:57 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Ours (4 passports) have gone missing as well! Are agents have been in touch with AHC and they have told them that our passports, with visas, were sent out on April 13th. They've been tracked to 'a sorting office somewhere'. Post office do not class them as lost until 15 working days after they were posted, even though they were sent recorded delivery.

In an age of fake ID's, stolen passports, illegal immigrants and terrorism, nobody does anything for 15 working days. How's that for being tight on security!

You can't claim compensation for 15 working days, so if you take the initiative and cancel your passports as soon as you have doubts, you can't claim. They tell you that you should have waited.

if you do wait 15 working days, who knowshow many fake ID's are floating about in your name!

So, come Thursday we can then cancel our passports apply for new ones, wait for them, apply for our visas again, wait for them and say hello to 37 new immigrants in the country, all called Steve Bannister.

Steve
You must be worried sick. We will keep our fingers crossed for you that your passports turn up ok.
I can not see why they dont charge an extra £ on the visa charge purely to pay for an administrator to allow visitors to validate their visas in person at the AHC.

Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Firstly let me say that i also feel for you at this point, you must be sick that this has happened.

Secondly, you say that they were sent to you by recorded delivery, is that right? or was it special delivery?

The reason i am asking is that if you want compensation from royal mail all that you can claim from them is 100 times the value of a basic weight first class stamp.

sorry to let you know this as i too have had things go missing and was shocked about this fact myself, i only hope that it was special delivery that they used to send them to you as the compensation is a lot higher.

I know that the money is probally not the issue here, but, it will help you out in replacing the passports & visas, not to mention the hassle that you will be going through.

Keep us posted of your outcome.

Thinking of you, Mark.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Oh dear - poor you Steve. Now you will have the added hassle of getting new passports etc - just when you thought that the form filling was over
Have a nice weekend - try not to worry about it too much. You will be gone soon

Kind regards
Debs
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
Oh dear - poor you Steve. Now you will have the added hassle of getting new passports etc - just when you thought that the form filling was over
Have a nice weekend - try not to worry about it too much. You will be gone soon

Kind regards
Debs

Just think, once its all sorted out you can leave this red-taped beurocratic country behind! yay (that wasnt an excited yay though, we still have to wait days before our 15 days have passed. bugger)

good luck steve - let us know what happens
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:29 am
Go Banana's !!

Who's proud to be British? Not me! [/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear this, even more sorry 'cos I've now got to go hunting for 37 bunnies

Never heard you rant before, I like it when you are angry

Good luck
Jill

Old Apr 24th 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

the steam would be coming out of my ears by now, what do you pay special delivery for is it so special that it has to go on a long journey first

foul play suspected here

arlene
Old Apr 24th 2004, 4:12 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by arlene
the steam would be coming out of my ears by now, what do you pay special delivery for is it so special that it has to go on a long journey first

foul play suspected here

arlene
Definitely foul play. I'm doing my f***ing nut!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 4:22 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Definitely foul play. I'm doing my f***ing nut!

Really feel for you (and JP) at the moment. Hope it works out for you, I'm sure it will do, but I know how delays in the process can be REALLY REALLY worrying!!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Steve,

look mate...you have STILL go your visas...YOU and yours will still get there.

This is a MINOR hiccup in what may be many hiccups to come.

You're cheesed off - YES - but face it as it is - another hurdle.

YOU'VE DONE THE REAL hard bit...........

Chill out, matey - it'll come and it'll be " Oh, so sweet " when it does.

GOOD LUCK. x
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Steve,

look mate...you have STILL got your visas...YOU and yours will still get there.

This is a MINOR hiccup in what may be many hiccups to come.

You're cheesed off - YES - but face it as it is - another hurdle.

YOU'VE DONE THE REAL hard bit...........

Chill out, matey - it'll come and it'll be " Oh, so sweet " when it does.

GOOD LUCK. x
Old Apr 24th 2004, 10:03 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jasper pentop
Just think, once its all sorted out you can leave this red-taped beurocratic country behind! yay (that wasnt an excited yay though, we still have to wait days before our 15 days have passed. bugger)

good luck steve - let us know what happens

Sadly, red tape and beaurocracy is a global disease! It won't end in reaching Oz.

I hope it gets sorted for you Steve. Last thing you need at a time like this
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jasper pentop
Just think, once its all sorted out you can leave this red-taped beurocratic country behind!
Oh yeah, coming to the country where you need an electricians licence to change a plug
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:08 pm
I Know What's Going On!

So, AHC said that they posted our passports with visa's on the 13th of April and the post office have told us that the passports are definitely in their system and that they will start looking for them before the 15 working days because I kicked up such a fuss.

Our case officer has also been on the case and told AHC to find where they could have gone.

Our local sorting office have told us that there is no undelivered post for our address.

The postman knocked this morning to say that he'd been given a *ollocking at work and asked what it was all about, even though we have never complained about the postman.

All four of us went and got new photographs done again and I sat up late last night filling out new passport forms as well as the lost and stolen forms you have to fill out as well.

Recieved a letter this morning from the post office asking for the proof of delivery to start the ball rolling for compensation.

Phoned the passport office to ask how long replacement passports take to come. He asked if I wanted to cancel the passports, and I said I'll wait until Monday. Just in case! (Ever hopeful!)

Bloody good job that I did decide to wait until Monday as we got a phone call from our agents a couple of hours ago to say that our passports have been found and are still at Australia House!!

Apparently there had been a mix up with the visas for the kids. The birth certificates say Luke and Lia Bannister. Their passports say Luke and Lia Bannister. The application forms say Luke and Lia Bannister. The pre-grant letter says Luke and Lia Bannister. But some bright spark decideds to type the visas out in Luke and Lia Scott.

Luckily, somebody noticed at the last moment and stopped them from being posted. So, now we've been told that they are being corrected and we should have them next week.

Last night's Dispatches on Channel Four about the Royal Mail did not help at all!

So, it wasn't the Royal Mail's fault. But I do wonder why they said that they definitely had the parcel and how they willing to accept liability, when it hadn't even been posted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.