Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which passport to use?

Which passport to use?

Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about
Default Which passport to use?

Hi all

I know this has been asked before about which passport you should travel with but I have another question.

I have just become an Australian citizen and got my Australian passport. However, my British passport is still in my maiden name.

I am looking at going back to the UK for a short visit, should I travel on my Australian passport? Should I take my British passport and marriage certificate with me in case there are any problems in the UK or does it not matter?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport to use?

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
Hi all

I know this has been asked before about which passport you should travel with but I have another question.

I have just become an Australian citizen and got my Australian passport. However, my British passport is still in my maiden name.

I am looking at going back to the UK for a short visit, should I travel on my Australian passport? Should I take my British passport and marriage certificate with me in case there are any problems in the UK or does it not matter?

Thanks
The main issue you will have if the passports are in different names is that the name on the ticket must match the name on the passport........
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

So could I just use my Australian passport to go back to the UK?

If I use my UK one then will I be able to get back into Australia on my permanent resident visa now I am a citizen or does this become void when you become a citizen?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:07 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
So could I just use my Australian passport to go back to the UK?

If I use my UK one then will I be able to get back into Australia on my permanent resident visa now I am a citizen or does this become void when you become a citizen?
Your Australian visa is gone (GASP!) - because you are a citizen and do not need one. As far as entering any country where you are a citizen, you are expected to use a valid national passport, and UK is no exception. Anywhere else, you can choose which passport to use to enter, between these two I am afraid not. You'd present Aussie passport upon departure to Australian immigration, then present your UK passport on arrival to the UK to the UK immigration.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I have gotten into bother doing this before.
Just enter the UK on your Aus passport - you will receive a 90 day tourist visa without any issues.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
I have gotten into bother doing this before.
Just enter the UK on your Aus passport - you will receive a 90 day tourist visa without any issues.
Travel on your Australian PP - you'll have to show that at both airline check-ins.

Show your UK PP at UK entry & exit immigration points.

Show your Oz PP at Oz entry and exit points.

I travel on both PPs all the time- UK/Oz/USA.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have both an UK passport and an Australian passport, I use my UK one when entering the UK and EU and my Australian passport to enter into Australia. You do need to get a new passport though when you change your name, I did this within a year of getting married and it was free of charge but that was in Australia.