Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passed my driving test..1st go..yes

Passed my driving test..1st go..yes

Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:11 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passed my driving test..1st go..yes

Hey

Just thought I would share this with everyone as I am pretty stoked.

We arrived in Brisvegas 3 weeks ago, and so far so good. Managed to find a great Unit in Fortitude Valley, with everything that was on our check list, ie Balcony, Pool and bars and restaurants close to hand.

My partner managed to get a job with in the first week, so we have spent loads of time furnishing the house, and holidaying up at Mooloolaba. Well as he went off to work today, and I am still a gentleman of leisure I thought I would try and pass my driving test.

Of course, me being me, didnt think to read the Qld driving codes or anything, and just marched in...

Well took the test.. and PASSED first time.. so stoked.. almost failed on the first bit, when I managed to get my left and right mixed up, but thankfully the nice lady behind the counter looked at me, asked me the Golden Rule (and its not always say please and thank you, but Give Way To The Right At All Times !!) then told me to answer the question again.. which I got right the second time..

So remember all of you who will have to take the theory test in Qld, always give way to the right,

Another excuse I reckon to go out tonight for a few jars
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:36 am
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Passed my driving test..1st go..yes

Well done

I'm so glad we didn't have to do our driving test i would have died. In Victoria they change the rules at the begining of the year which meant all we had to do was turn up at VicRoads with driving licence and something with our address on and pay the fee and that was that.

Have a nice glass of wine to celebrate
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sloake
Hey

Just thought I would share this with everyone as I am pretty stoked.

We arrived in Brisvegas 3 weeks ago, and so far so good. Managed to find a great Unit in Fortitude Valley, with everything that was on our check list, ie Balcony, Pool and bars and restaurants close to hand.

My partner managed to get a job with in the first week, so we have spent loads of time furnishing the house, and holidaying up at Mooloolaba. Well as he went off to work today, and I am still a gentleman of leisure I thought I would try and pass my driving test.

Of course, me being me, didnt think to read the Qld driving codes or anything, and just marched in...

Well took the test.. and PASSED first time.. so stoked.. almost failed on the first bit, when I managed to get my left and right mixed up, but thankfully the nice lady behind the counter looked at me, asked me the Golden Rule (and its not always say please and thank you, but Give Way To The Right At All Times !!) then told me to answer the question again.. which I got right the second time..

So remember all of you who will have to take the theory test in Qld, always give way to the right,

Another excuse I reckon to go out tonight for a few jars
Congratulations

I didn't realise they could give you leaway like that.

Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:39 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Congratulations

I didn't realise they could give you leaway like that.

I smiled a lot... an awful lot...and she was very very nice...

Now just watch out for me on the roads.. I should be as bad as all the other Brissies I see.... :scared: :scared:
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:45 am
ABCDiamond

I smiled a lot... an awful lot...and she was very very nice...

Now just watch out for me on the roads.. I should be as bad as all the other Brissies I see.... :scared: :scared:
Not yet you won't be, it normally takes a year or so to adjust

Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:49 am
chilled member

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not yet you won't be, it normally takes a year or so to adjust

you never saw how bad I was in the Uk...

If I can pass... anyone can...remember.. give way to the right.. and smile.. smile and then if can smile a bit more...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:25 am
ABCDiamond

you never saw how bad I was in the Uk...

If I can pass... anyone can...remember.. give way to the right.. and smile.. smile and then if can smile a bit more...
Once you have learnt to NOT give way, then, and only then, will you be a "local" driver

Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:09 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

I only passed my driving test in UK 6 months ago. I did it first time but am now worried that I'll have do it all again in OZ. Does everyone have to take a test? Is it similar to the the one in UK?

Nicola
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:59 am

LittleL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by waustralish
Well done

I'm so glad we didn't have to do our driving test i would have died. In Victoria they change the rules at the begining of the year which meant all we had to do was turn up at VicRoads with driving licence and something with our address on and pay the fee and that was that.

Have a nice glass of wine to celebrate
That is good to know, i may just go and get mine tomorrow.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:08 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickchap
I only passed my driving test in UK 6 months ago. I did it first time but am now worried that I'll have do it all again in OZ. Does everyone have to take a test? Is it similar to the the one in UK?

Nicola
Do not worry - it is only a computer 'written' test bit - and only that if you are going to certain states. Also most seem to be changing the rules to allow you just to swop a UK one to an Aussie one. Check out the DLVA for the state you are going to.

Don't Panic - I am sure you will still be a better driver than most here.

Mind you also check the rules for restrictions - if you have only held your licence for a few months when you come over does anyone know if they put you on P plates here?

Cheers
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:30 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Thats good to know. We are hoping to settle in Perth. I did drive around in the UK with "P" plates for the first few weeks while I gained confidence. I don't mind if I have to use them in OZ. I heard the roads in OZ are manic!

Nicola
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

......and I thought it was only us woman that were capable of passing first time!!!!!