Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Partner Struggling to find work...

Partner Struggling to find work...

Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:22 am
Just Joined

katix020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner Struggling to find work...

Hi,
Has anyone else had trouble with there partners not finding work when on a 457 visa? I have the sponsorship from sydney childrens hospital and my partner was granted the 457 visa with me. He is struggling to find work and I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation? Any help welcome, I am wondering if on his CV he could write something different instead of 457 visa holder?
Thanks
Katie
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:37 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Struggling to find work...

Originally Posted by katix020
Hi,
Has anyone else had trouble with there partners not finding work when on a 457 visa? I have the sponsorship from sydney childrens hospital and my partner was granted the 457 visa with me. He is struggling to find work and I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation? Any help welcome, I am wondering if on his CV he could write something different instead of 457 visa holder?
Thanks
Katie
Maybe change the phrasing to "Eligible to work in Australia" or something similar?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Maybe change the phrasing to "Eligible to work in Australia" or something similar?
I agree with this, write something like "Unrestricted work rights in Australia" or "Eligible to work in Australia" or don't have a visa section at all.

Putting "457 Holder" might confuse recruitment places (they aren't the smartest bunch) and they might wonder why he isn't working for "his" sponsor.

Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

He's not alone. This is a common response from 457 dependants. Unless he tries for short term contracts he's going to struggle with temporary residence status no matter how you package it.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

my husband took temp contracts when we were on a 457.

Now we are citizens and I am struggling to find work- not sure that the market is great but you just have to keep pugging away.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:57 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

I would agree that he should remove the visa section of the CV and just confirm that he is able to work in Australia when he is asked.

Also there is something I have always said, Find a job, then find a better job. don't be too much of a job snob. Work is out there and its easier to look for quality work when the pressure is off and you have a steady income coming in.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not just 457 holders that are struggling! We have PR and my OH has been looking 7 months now.

He's applied for hundreds of jobs, changed his CV countless times and written so many Covering Letters it's insane. He's also been in supermarkets, trawled the highstreet handing out his CV to coffee houses and shops.

We took the visa bit off his CV a few months ago, not sure it's made much difference though.