Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Part Time job for 17year old?

Part Time job for 17year old?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:43 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Part Time job for 17year old?

Hey I was wondering how hard it is to get a job as a waiter etc the usual part time students jobs and if I should construct a formal CV etc. It would be in the Brisbane area... any of you or your sons/daughters have jobs and how quick did they get them upon arriving...? thanks
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part Time job for 17year old?

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Hey I was wondering how hard it is to get a job as a waiter etc the usual part time students jobs and if I should construct a formal CV etc. It would be in the Brisbane area... any of you or your sons/daughters have jobs and how quick did they get them upon arriving...? thanks
If anyones looking for work on junior wages ie under 18 they will have no trouble at all, most school kids here work part time from about 14. Waiter tho you may need a tafe qualification to do that, even serving coffee is a course, kitchen hand will be OK without a course tho. Lots of shop work for kids too.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Ah, yes, construct a CV. Waiter jobs in Aus are much more 'professional' than the uk and the kudos is bigger.
It shouldn't be hard to get a job if you have experience though. Just put a cover letter together with your CV, dress smart and mail shot all the restaurants you'd like to work in. Make sure you meet the decision maker when you drop in your CV so they meet you.
Lots of work available if you're good.

Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW, you could do a course at TAFE whilst you're working. That will impress your future employer.
I used to be in hospitality and would definitely employ someone who was enthusiastic and happy... experience can always be taught ...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:54 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks for the help and dont worry I shuold hopefully have a few things on my CV that will make them want to pick me such as owning my own companies etc.. I really just want the job to meet people I was originally thinking of setting up my own landscaping company but with uni coming up I wont have the time and my other companies will keep me occupied thanks for the help again....