Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parkinsons Disease

Parkinsons Disease

Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parkinsons Disease

I arrived back in the UK this morning for 3 weeks on business. I was due to meet my brother tomorrow and surprise Mum at lunch but sadly my brother called tonight to say that he's been diagnosed with Parkinsons this afternoon. I guess tomorrow will be an emotional affair. At least I an give the big man a hug rather than a long distance call.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has first hand experience of this disease. There is only so much I can find out from the Parkinsons websites.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:04 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Re: Parkinsons Disease

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I arrived back in the UK this morning for 3 weeks on business. I was due to meet my brother tomorrow and surprise Mum at lunch but sadly my brother called tonight to say that he's been diagnosed with Parkinsons this afternoon. I guess tomorrow will be an emotional affair. At least I an give the big man a hug rather than a long distance call.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has first hand experience of this disease. There is only so much I can find out from the Parkinsons websites.

Cheers.
Well,
You seem to have not gotton a reply so i will reply. I know nothing about the disease, but may i wish your brother all the luck in the world with regards to dealing with the illness.

When you get diagnosed with an illness which will be long term, it can change your short term and long term perspective on life.

So when i read a post similar to yours, it makes me realise just how valuable life is and the health of people you love and care for.

So at times of stress and anxiety, like visa applications, selling houses, i just sit back and think, what would change if were diagnosed with a long term illness right here right now, what would change.

Yes a great deal, the stress and anxiety would vanish, and immediately my thoughts would transfer to my real issue not the issue i thought was important.

So, again, good luck to you, your mother and your brother, thank you for making me realise and others, how lucky i am, just for having my health.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Well,
You seem to have not gotton a reply so i will reply. I know nothing about the disease, but may i wish your brother all the luck in the world with regards to dealing with the illness.

When you get diagnosed with an illness which will be long term, it can change your short term and long term perspective on life.

So when i read a post similar to yours, it makes me realise just how valuable life is and the health of people you love and care for.

So at times of stress and anxiety, like visa applications, selling houses, i just sit back and think, what would change if were diagnosed with a long term illness right here right now, what would change.

Yes a great deal, the stress and anxiety would vanish, and immediately my thoughts would transfer to my real issue not the issue i thought was important.

So, again, good luck to you, your mother and your brother, thank you for making me realise and others, how lucky i am, just for having my health.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate your words. It has certainly put things into perspective and a reminder that the distance from home is and will be a problem. I've been very blase about being in Australia and never ever worried about illness in the family back home. It's funny how it affects you when it's so close to you.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:30 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

right then love, what do you want to know?

My grandad had it for quite a few years so i may be able to help you. But i can only speak from what i saw and heard form my family's persective, so you may find it different.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

My dads got it, pm with any questions.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:31 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/

This should help with general questions and answers... as it's early days, you're probably better off just knowing the basics for now.

try and enjoy each others company at your family meal