Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:08 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Very funny how things work here, my OH is engineer with well over 20 years experience, in Adelaide he send his CV, to every Tom, Dick & Harry of agency, but nothing.
He wanted to work in mining industry, but he kept being refused, as they kept saying you don’t have any experience in the field.
Then 5 months into our stay here, he gets job offered in QLD, in a company which does a bit of everything, Mining, dam, & loads of other things.
Now this week he went to New Castle for a training course in "Mining" & the first day the lecture tells him your talent is wasted here, is it ok if I send your details to some other mining company, that's even without looking at his CV.
So now one company taken him, is that mean he's good enough for others to take look at him, what's point of doing CV of your experiences.
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:13 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
bridie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: WA but NOT Perth!!!!!
Posts: 3,318
bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Yes, i've heard that old chestnut "you cant work in the mines if you dont have mining exp" from a good friend of mine who's OH is an engineer.

i think a lot of jobs here seem to work on the "it's not what you know but who you know" thing...

Good luck
bridie is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:21 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by bridie View Post
Yes, i've heard that old chestnut "you cant work in the mines if you dont have mining exp" from a good friend of mine who's OH is an engineer.

i think a lot of jobs here seem to work on the "it's not what you know but who you know" thing...

Good luck
It's true, even thought he had done so many different soft wares, which they use in mining, but its not what you know, but who you know, oh well somebody else has notice him now let see what happens.
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:36 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by chris and farideh View Post
It's true, even thought he had done so many different soft wares, which they use in mining, but its not what you know, but who you know, oh well somebody else has notice him now let see what happens.

Is it in SA?
Wendy is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:09 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Is it in SA?
No sadly, Brisbane again, but he did met people from adelaide, perth, all over really, they said to him, once you know this software, jobs would pours in.
I might be back, when you thought you got rid of me.
How did it go this afternoon?
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:20 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by chris and farideh View Post
No sadly, Brisbane again, but he did met people from adelaide, perth, all over really, they said to him, once you know this software, jobs would pours in.
I might be back, when you thought you got rid of me.
How did it go this afternoon?
I hope so. Beth asked me yesterday on the tram if we would be seeing you agaim - it seems she really likes you and your kids

So do you want to meet next week sometime? when is best for you? and where?

I hope you get a job offer in SA soon. I will really miss you when you go

This aft was fine. I've booked another two lessons with him and will tell you about it later x
Wendy is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:31 am
  #7  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

It's the way of things here. My OH is an engineer, too and you know about the trouble he had finding work in SA. Funny enough, in the last week or two he's had 4 phone calls from South Australian companies asking if he was interested in work. I told him to tell them yes, so long as they pay ALL of our relocation costs as well as any costs associated with breaking our lease here in Perth. We haven't heard back yet, so I'm assuming the answer is no.

Don't worry, Farideh. You're going to be fine in Qld. It's not too far to fly over to Adelaide to visit if you get homesick for coffee in Rundle Mall with Wendy & Julia.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:53 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
I hope so. Beth asked me yesterday on the tram if we would be seeing you agaim - it seems she really likes you and your kids

So do you want to meet next week sometime? when is best for you? and where?

I hope you get a job offer in SA soon. I will really miss you when you go

This aft was fine. I've booked another two lessons with him and will tell you about it later x

I like both your kids too, I'm still laughing at what Chris called us, girls, when I said I like what he said , then he said we are not exactly old age pensioners.
very funny boy you got there, & Beth she is just sweet heart, lucky you, I wish Bi stayed that age, she too was sweet heart, look at her now, real Madam, I know she's taken thatt after her auntie, not me.
I'm doing dentist, bloody place is costing me fortune, any way that's on tuesday afternoon, & got hospital appointment on Thursday, so I can do Monday or Wednesday, Chris is here on Friday, so cant do that day.
Have to make sure to bring ball this time, went there again this afternoon, froze to death it was so clod, the beach was dirty, couldnt believe it.
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:01 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
It's the way of things here. My OH is an engineer, too and you know about the trouble he had finding work in SA. Funny enough, in the last week or two he's had 4 phone calls from South Australian companies asking if he was interested in work. I told him to tell them yes, so long as they pay ALL of our relocation costs as well as any costs associated with breaking our lease here in Perth. We haven't heard back yet, so I'm assuming the answer is no.

Don't worry, Farideh. You're going to be fine in Qld. It's not too far to fly over to Adelaide to visit if you get homesick for coffee in Rundle Mall with Wendy & Julia.

I know, I've told him if they want you its going to cost them this time, I've got appointment at the other hospital, in Dec, so I will make sure I get to see the girls when I fly back to Adelaide, they tried to get rid me, but I wont be that easy to get rid of.
Hope all goes well with your OH jobs you'll never know they still might call you back, they are known to be very laid back here.
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:17 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by chris and farideh View Post
I like both your kids too, I'm still laughing at what Chris called us, girls, when I said I like what he said , then he said we are not exactly old age pensioners.
very funny boy you got there, & Beth she is just sweet heart, lucky you, I wish Bi stayed that age, she too was sweet heart, look at her now, real Madam, I know she's taken thatt after her auntie, not me.
I'm doing dentist, bloody place is costing me fortune, any way that's on tuesday afternoon, & got hospital appointment on Thursday, so I can do Monday or Wednesday, Chris is here on Friday, so cant do that day.
Have to make sure to bring ball this time, went there again this afternoon, froze to death it was so clod, the beach was dirty, couldnt believe it.
Mmmm, Monday is meant to be fine and Wednesday is meant to be fine until the evening. Don't know if I trust the weather foecast

I think Monday is the best option though. Do you want to meet in the city? we could go for lunch somewhere?
Wendy is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:37 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Mmmm, Monday is meant to be fine and Wednesday is meant to be fine until the evening. Don't know if I trust the weather foecast

I think Monday is the best option though. Do you want to meet in the city? we could go for lunch somewhere?
With kids we can take them to the museum they always do things for the kids or take them on those cycling boat on the river Torren, so much more to do in the city, zoo is another option, they always do special offer for school holidays.
Can we do around 11 or later, my kids are lazy they wont get up too early when its their holiday break.
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:36 pm
  #12  
ACE
BE Forum Addict
 
ACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Dawesville, WA
Posts: 1,192
ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a joke to be qualified engineer over here...

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
It's the way of things here. My OH is an engineer, too and you know about the trouble he had finding work in SA. Funny enough, in the last week or two he's had 4 phone calls from South Australian companies asking if he was interested in work. I told him to tell them yes, so long as they pay ALL of our relocation costs as well as any costs associated with breaking our lease here in Perth. We haven't heard back yet, so I'm assuming the answer is no.

Don't worry, Farideh. You're going to be fine in Qld. It's not too far to fly over to Adelaide to visit if you get homesick for coffee in Rundle Mall with Wendy & Julia.
Don't give up hope you never know what might happen.

A friend of mine who had just relocated to Mandurah from Queensland was in a similar position. Her husband works for a large mining company (computer systems/software) here in WA, he wasn't entirely happy and looked for and was offered a job back in Queensland. They were all set to move and the WA company said they didn't want to lose him. He made it clear that they would have to make it worth his while to stay so they extended his holidays and upped his salary by 45K
ACE is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.