Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

parents to foot wage increase for childcare workers

parents to foot wage increase for childcare workers

Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this thread has really cheered me up !! as a nursery nurse with aussie passport about to emigrate it may be up to me to bring in the money if my husband cant get a job straight away .Luckily we are staying with family so no costs there !!
As a childminder here I earn £30 a day (9-5) ,although I dont really need to work it just keeps me sane !!!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

As a childminder here I earn £30 a day (9-5) ,although I dont really need to work it just keeps me sane !!!

You look after other peoples kids to keep you SANE!!!????

lol!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I don't think anyone is saying that they don't want to pay for quality child care - I do and I have to, but the cost is nearly up to my wife's wages, so do we pay the child care, or do we reduce Australia's nursing staff by 1 more. And looking at the desparate attempts by Australia to entice nurses to these shores it seems pretty evident to me that many have taken the 'reduce the Australian nursing by 1' option.

Now if the govt want to retain those staff, many of whom are mothers, then they aren't going to do it by levying chioldcare bills that equate to the same as their wages. When you throw in shift work/weekend work it just doesn't add up.

We currently fund 3 days in a centre and 2 days with a childminder. For 2 kids this costs $26,500 per annum. Thats around $35,000 in pre tax terms. If my wife stopped working she'd a) be eligible for benefit and b) we'd get a child care allowance. Those 2 things actually mean we'd be fiscally better off. It's mad.