Reload this Page >

Wages In Perth & Sydney ???

Wages In Perth & Sydney ???

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 5:46 pm
Irish Member

floordekor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wages In Perth & Sydney ???

Hi everyone,
i'm a new user to this site and hoped someone tell me what is cosidered a good weekly or annual rate of pay in Perth and in Sydney? I know this question may sound quite general but I would refer it to building trades.
Also if for example I earned $100,000 a year how much of this would be take home pay?

Is the cost of living in Perth and Sydney reflected in the wage you will get.
For example even though the wages are lower in Perth will your dollars buy more.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

From what I understand ( and i am no expert) Sydney is a lot more expensive to live in than Perth so I presume the salary there will be higher.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:22 pm
Irish Member

Originally posted by sj oldfield
From what I understand ( and i am no expert) Sydney is a lot more expensive to live in than Perth so I presume the salary there will be higher.

Thanks, are you in Oz, or in the process of getting your visa.
If so where do you plan to go?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I read in The West yesterday that the avg wage iin WA is bout $50k
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:21 am
owieb

Default Re: Wages In Perth & Sydney ???

Originally posted by floordekor
Hi everyone,
i'm a new user to this site and hoped someone tell me what is cosidered a good weekly or annual rate of pay in Perth and in Sydney? I know this question may sound quite general but I would refer it to building trades.
Also if for example I earned $100,000 a year how much of this would be take home pay?

Is the cost of living in Perth and Sydney reflected in the wage you will get.
For example even though the wages are lower in Perth will your dollars buy more.

Cheers,

Paul.
Goto the ATO site and try this:

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/a...001i.xr4&go=ok

It gives you a simple tax calculator to use, on a $100K, you'll be paying around $33K in tax. Butr this doesn't include Medicare Levy which is another 1.5%. You can run a more comprehensive calculator here:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...mnu=50&mfp=001

Your dollars don't buy a lot more in Perth. It's starting to get expensive here, property is rising fast, not to the same levels as Sydney, but then the wages are a lot lower.

There are loads of posts about the cost of living in different states and it all depends on your own circumstances.

Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:10 pm
Irish Member

Originally posted by owieb
Goto the ATO site and try this:

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/a...001i.xr4&go=ok

It gives you a simple tax calculator to use, on a $100K, you'll be paying around $33K in tax. Butr this doesn't include Medicare Levy which is another 1.5%. You can run a more comprehensive calculator here:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...mnu=50&mfp=001

Your dollars don't buy a lot more in Perth. It's starting to get expensive here, property is rising fast, not to the same levels as Sydney, but then the wages are a lot lower.

There are loads of posts about the cost of living in different states and it all depends on your own circumstances.

Thanks for the info, useful.
The dilema i'm in is that i have someone sorting out a sponsor for me in Perth, this is where I was first attracted because of the cheaper cost of living. But now doubt has crept in as the impression i'm getting is that the wages really aren't worth it when you compare it to sydney, even with the more expensive housing.
I contacted a company in Sydney and they have been very keen to sponsor me until i get my permanent residency visa. They have indicated at wages being in the region of $85,000 - $100,000 plus.
I wouldn't think I could acheive that in Perth.
So instaed of moving into a real nice house in Perth and then work for considerably less, I think I may opt to choose modest accomodation in Sydney, and have more $$$.
As for my cost of living, I have a wife and 7 year old daughter. Would like a nice house to rent first and then buy when I decide on area.
I will have a car for the wife and perhaps a ford transit, or toyota hiace that will need fuel, insurance, and maintainence.
utility bills etc.
Luv the outdoor life so will be doing all that Oz has to offer for free!!

I haven't been to Oz before, so another of my concerns is that Perth after a while might start to bore me???

Thats might sound rediculous coming from a guy who lives in Ireland!!! but a concern nonetheless.

Back to Sydney vs Perth??? anyone have anything else to add that may aid my decision.

Paul

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not been to Perth so I will not comment. I enjoy living in Sydney a lot. The harbour is one of the most amazing places and the beaches are great. Nearby there are the Blue Mountains and the Royal National Park.

Sydney offers plenty of brain food, whether it is the arts, cinema or theatre. Eating out in Sydney is fantastic with plenty of nations cuisines represented.

More importantly the job prospects and opportunities are better here than any other city in Australia or NZ.

The down side is the traffic and house prices but that depends on where you live and work. There are some dodgy suburbs but every city has those.

As Owieb pointed out there are a lot of Poms in Perth but only you know if that is good or bad for you.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:31 pm
i'm digitalicious

asciidental is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what you want really.

Perth: Quieter, more laid back, better beaches, lower cost of living, easy to get around, great places to travel, not as developed, lots of child friendly things, good arts festivals.

Dunno about Sydney. It has ridiculous house prices and better job opportunities however.

It all depends on what your field of work is really. IT -- Perth is no good, construction materials (asphalt, concrete, quarries) is brill.

It's up to you and your family really.

Best wishes
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:33 pm
i'm digitalicious

asciidental is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and before I forget. Many jobs in Perth will pay as well as jobs in Sydney. It just depends on what your field is.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, are you in Oz, or in the process of getting your visa.
If so where do you plan to go?

Currently still living in the south of england, have applied for skilled independant visa
what about you
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:06 pm
Irish Member

Wink

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Currently still living in the south of england, have applied for skilled independant visa
what about you

Got the TRA assessment ,about to apply for the skilled independent visa at the end of January.
But I used an agent lately to deal with the application just in case it gets knocked back. Costly though £800 sterling !!!

I have managed to get a sponsor in Sydney, so I can wait my time out for the decision on my skilled visa in Oz.
I fly out on 16th May.

So for now its Belfast for me, but i'm on the countdown!!!

By the way anyone out there know if the pay in Sydney would be the same as Perth for a commercial floor installer (floor layer).?
I have a business in Northern Ireland which at the moment am in the process of selling.
If your unsure what my job is you can check out our website at,
<www.floordekor.co.uk>.
You'll find some pics and info on my job, so if anyone has some info on this or related jobs i'd like to know.

Cheers !!!

Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:20 pm
Irish Member

Originally posted by asciidental
Oh and before I forget. Many jobs in Perth will pay as well as jobs in Sydney. It just depends on what your field is.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Paul.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Burbs to avoid in Sydney are the inner west, central and Kings X, Surrey hills, Redfern, Chippendale. Even then with kids I would look further afield. For water sports the harbour is great for sailing and the ocean beaches for surfing, boogie boarding etc, etc. Problem with the harbour is you pay harbour prices so your budget will be needed.

I am generalising a bit but the dodgiest areas are westwards. I am talking Punchbowl, Liverpool, Bankstown, Mount Druitt, Auburn, Cabramatta and Blacktown. There are more bad burbs as I have listed the famous ones.

In the South avoid the airport area for obvious reasons but the kogorah Hurstville area is not too bad and it is not under the 747 flight path.

Your work is based way out West and those that I know who live west live so west it is the base of the Mountains to get the cooler air. Springwood is very popular amongst my colleagues.

North Shore is the Surrey of Sydney and has good schools. I have heard that Forestville is a good value suburb.

I drive from Bondi (East to West)to Auburn every day which is opposing the heaviest city bound traffic. It takes anywhere from 30 mins (at 6:30am) to over an hour to drive.

Downunderpom might be able to help you on some of the Western burbs. He to wants to head for the mountains.

Basically give us a budget and desired house size and we can help more.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted a company in Sydney and they have been very keen to sponsor me until i get my permanent residency visa. They have indicated at wages being in the region of $85,000 - $100,000 plus.
$100K for a building trade?? That seems alot of money! Not trying to put a damper on things, but I would check it out that no one is telling pork pies to get you interested.

Most IT professionals dont get that much. Perhaps all those struggling to find work in IT & telecoms when they get here should change profession .

Sorry, I cant really help with the Perth/Sydney comparison apart from the general comments that other people have made ie. Sydney has high house prices & high cost of living but generally higher wages. Owiebs tax calc is pretty well spot on $100K = about $33K tax.

Good luck with your decision .
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:07 am
Irish Member

Originally posted by bondipom
The Burbs to avoid in Sydney are the inner west, central and Kings X, Surrey hills, Redfern, Chippendale. Even then with kids I would look further afield. For water sports the harbour is great for sailing and the ocean beaches for surfing, boogie boarding etc, etc. Problem with the harbour is you pay harbour prices so your budget will be needed.

I am generalising a bit but the dodgiest areas are westwards. I am talking Punchbowl, Liverpool, Bankstown, Mount Druitt, Auburn, Cabramatta and Blacktown. There are more bad burbs as I have listed the famous ones.

In the South avoid the airport area for obvious reasons but the kogorah Hurstville area is not too bad and it is not under the 747 flight path.

Your work is based way out West and those that I know who live west live so west it is the base of the Mountains to get the cooler air. Springwood is very popular amongst my colleagues.

North Shore is the Surrey of Sydney and has good schools. I have heard that Forestville is a good value suburb.

I drive from Bondi (East to West)to Auburn every day which is opposing the heaviest city bound traffic. It takes anywhere from 30 mins (at 6:30am) to over an hour to drive.

Downunderpom might be able to help you on some of the Western burbs. He to wants to head for the mountains.

Basically give us a budget and desired house size and we can help more.

Would consider from$1 - $500k but for an outstanding house might stretch to $600k.
Would also like to stay as close to the city as i can.
3 bedrooms min, would like 4.
Be nice to have pool or trade that for 5 min drive to beach.
I would consider buying a fixer upper as I can do most things DIY from changing a plug to building an extension.
Is there money to be made buying in good areas, fixing up and moving on?
Don't fancy moving way out west by the sound of things. I have been told my that Sydney flooring companys are always on the look out for experienced installers. So if its going to be too much hassle out in wetherhill park I could look for another company.

Bondi whats your opinion on the wage bracket they gave me between $85,000 employed, to $100,000 + self employed.
How does this compare with the Sydney average?
Will I be struggling as the wife (girlfriend) will probably look for a sales job in retail.
Do you have an idea what sales staff get paid in retail over there?

Cheers, quality info !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.