Paraffin Lamps

Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paraffin Lamps

We bought a paraffin lamp with us (well hubby did) and were planning on using it during power outages. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find any paraffin except small bottles of the stuff you drink to create movement . Bunnings guy didn't have a clue, tried selling us Citronella Oil (not a good move indoors ).

Any one got any ideas of the useful variety

I see stuff called Kerosene - does anyone know if that is the same as UK Kerosene or is it Australia's name for Paraffin?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Paraffin Lamps

Never seen it before, but a link to High Quality Paraffin Lamp Oil
http://glasscandles.com.au/welcome/page14.php

Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Never seen it before, but a link to High Quality Paraffin Lamp Oil
http://glasscandles.com.au/welcome/page14.php
Thanks ABC. Didn't find that site - loads of others that were no use

Have just e-mailed them.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We bought a paraffin lamp with us (well hubby did) and were planning on using it during power outages. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find any paraffin except small bottles of the stuff you drink to create movement . Bunnings guy didn't have a clue, tried selling us Citronella Oil (not a good move indoors ).

I see stuff called Kerosene - does anyone know if that is the same as UK Kerosene or is it Australia's name for Paraffin?
It is usually Kero for the lamps. After a few minutes of burning this stuff inside, the citronella will a pleasant change.

Buy some torches with LED lamps as they can last for some time (up to 200 hours). If the power is off that long use the citronella to mask the smell of the food going off in the fidge/freezer.

There is a battery-less torch (shake to power up) for about less than $25.

WW
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:14 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

kerosene is basically the same thing as paraffin and will work fine in a paraffin lamp
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
kerosene is basically the same thing as paraffin and will work fine in a paraffin lamp
Thanks guys. We have lots of torches, but it seems a shame to have the lamp and not use it. Only had two outages since arriving so not a major problem.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:24 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

u can buy it in mitre 10, well u can in the one in randwick sydney, but that not a lot of help lol
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

you have tramps on the Gold Coast?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by soapy
u can buy it in mitre 10, well u can in the one in randwick sydney, but that not a lot of help lol
Can't wait for you to get up here (ooops, just read that in a different way - didn't mean it like that, honest guv