Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Panic! Rentals and Dogs, please help.

Panic! Rentals and Dogs, please help.

Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:35 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Panic! Rentals and Dogs, please help.

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone with dogs or pets in general could help me. Our dream may soon be a reality next year and like most I have scoured the Internet looking for that house to rent!

I'm panicking a wee bit just now cause so many that I've looked at say no pets or outside pets only.

Our two year old dog has never really known life outside. He'd be frozen solid if we let that happen here!!!

How easy is it to find a reasonable property to rent that accepts dogs and also those of you who's pets were used to living indoors, have they managed to adapt to life outside???

Forgot to add, we're planning on living in either Brisbane or GC depending on jobs.

Please help as this is worrying me more than the kids schools etc!!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panic! Rentals and Dogs, please help.

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone with dogs or pets in general could help me. Our dream may soon be a reality next year and like most I have scoured the Internet looking for that house to rent!

I'm panicking a wee bit just now cause so many that I've looked at say no pets or outside pets only.

Our two year old dog has never really known life outside. He'd be frozen solid if we let that happen here!!!

How easy is it to find a reasonable property to rent that accepts dogs and also those of you who's pets were used to living indoors, have they managed to adapt to life outside???

Forgot to add, we're planning on living in either Brisbane or GC depending on jobs.

Cheers

Ginny
Hiya Ginny,

Ive seen a pet friendly rental website somewhere Ill see if I can find it for
you

Hilary
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

coast101 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Cheers

Ginny

Sent you a PM
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:13 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Our mad labrador took to outside life no problem, we had decided he would live outdoors when we got here to keep down the hair (he sheds more than the average lab) because my husband has an allergy to it. We picked him up from quarantine and took his travel box with us which he now lives happily in. On the odd occasion we let him in he can't settle, but is happy as a pig n muck lying in the sun.

Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:16 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Our mad labrador took to outside life no problem, we had decided he would live outdoors when we got here to keep down the hair (he sheds more than the average lab) because my husband has an allergy to it. We picked him up from quarantine and took his travel box with us which he now lives happily in. On the odd occasion we let him in he can't settle, but is happy as a pig n muck lying in the sun.

Lynn
How old is your dog? Does he ever try and get out?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

We managed to get a 6 month rental that allowed the puppy. The only restrictions is that it had to stay in the garden and kitchen and we paid for any damage. He only caused a little during teething but the house owner said she didn't care and no worries.

My dog still sleeps inside although at times I think that she rather be out ( at the neighbours sleeping on the couch getting fed chocolate cookies)
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:25 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your dog? Does he ever try and get out?

Cheers

Ginny
He was 6 when we took him over. He can get out really easily as our gate can be opened just by pushing the gate post, so it's not unusual to take the kids to the park without him and find he lets himself out to come and join us, but he would never go far, too much of a coward. In our rental the fence blew down and we had an empty block next door, he was fine, never wandered off! But like i say he is mad, oh and nobody has ever told him he is a dog either, if one passes by he ignores it, never barks at other dogs either.

Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:27 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by movetoperth
He was 6 when we took him over. He can get out really easily as our gate can be opened just by pushing the gate post, so it's not unusual to take the kids to the park without him and find he lets himself out to come and join us, but he would never go far, too much of a coward. In our rental the fence blew down and we had an empty block next door, he was fine, never wandered off! But like i say he is mad, oh and nobody has ever told him he is a dog either, if one passes by he ignores it, never barks at other dogs either.

Lynn
Stitch is a wee bit of a coward too. Doesn't like the dark and if there's a noise in the house he's the first one to ......hide!!

He's more likely to jump up and lick than bark etc!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:42 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that may make things a little easier is to say your dog is an outside dog? Look out for rentals that dont say anything about pets,usually means they will consider animals.
We rent from LJ Hooker & our pup was 7mths old at the time but they told the owner that he was an older dog (probably to save the owners worrying about destruction etc..) Harley spent more time inside than out at the beginning but now unintentionally he has became an outside dog,bit of both really cause when he was kept inside he slept in the garage!

Good luck,to be honest i wouldn't worry too much about it until your here,you will find a rental.

Donna.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

am in a similar position....

looking for a house in brisbane that'll take my 2 dogs.

was told by a friend that (house wise) if it say the yard is fully fenced then dogs shouldn't be a problem unless otherwise stated (no pets etc.) and if you are keeping pets then sometimes extra money on the bond is payable to cover any damages both inside and out (hole digging etc)

my friends dogs live outside (in toowoomba) all year round unless it's a real stinker of a day and they come inside for a cool down with the air con.

i'm flying my dogs over a few days after us and hoping that by the time they've cleared quarantine in melbourne i'll have found us somewhere to live!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:47 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Cheers

Ginny
Hi Ginny,

We're in WA and had dreadful trouble finding a rental that took dogs. It forced us to totally reconsider where we were going to live and we didn't end up where we planned to. Having said that, I think we just hit a bad time to arrive - I don't believe it's always like that. It took us six weeks to find a rental that would accept our 22-month-old GSD, much longer than we expected, and the poor thing ended up back in kennels after coming out of quarantine. We were apart for 10 weeks in the end. (

We now have him as an indoor dog, and the owner of our rental is fine with that. The agent expects to see him outside when she visits to inspect but knows he's inside all the time anyway. Still, it keeps it straight for the lease. But we wouldn't have him as an outside dog - he's a part of our family and we didn't have him to leave him outside although a lot of Aussies do this quite happily. Some dogs choose it. We didn't.

Our dog is very good behaviour-wise, in terms of not being in the least destructive. He doesn't chew, doesn't scratch and doesn't dig, and thankfully he only barks when someone comes to the door. (Next door have two outdoor dogs and the damned things never stop barking. You only have to open the door and they start....) But we have paid a $100 pet bond - standard practice I believe - and would obviously put right any damage. I'm not sure the house isn't more at risk from our 8yo daughter than the dog!

I sincerely hope that you do not encounter the problems we did, but I do believe that we were just unlucky.

Good luck!

Sue
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:04 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Thanks guys for the replies.

Just another of those moments of panic! I'm sure there'll be more.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:28 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Cheers

Ginny
My dog doesnt live outside and neither would I want him to after years of not. Although it will narrow your choice of rentals since some will not take pets at all, most will if asked. They normally put the no pets thing at the suggestion of the agent anyway and not because they definately dont want pets.

Its not a major problem and really dont sweat it. Rentals are normally snapped up quickly so its pretty much luck of the draw whats available when you arrive anyway.

Remember that agents wont normally give you the time of day if you are still in the UK since you are not in a position to sign a contract and the rental market it very hot at the moment.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Centurion
My dog doesnt live outside and neither would I want him to after years of not. Although it will narrow your choice of rentals since some will not take pets at all, most will if asked. They normally put the no pets thing at the suggestion of the agent anyway and not because they definately dont want pets.

Its not a major problem and really dont sweat it. Rentals are normally snapped up quickly so its pretty much luck of the draw whats available when you arrive anyway.

Remember that agents wont normally give you the time of day if you are still in the UK since you are not in a position to sign a contract and the rental market it very hot at the moment.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
Thanks for that. I know I'm just panicking but can't help it. I hear what your saying about rental agents not wanting to know until we're there which is fine. Will probably arrange holiday accommodation for around a month which should give us time to look for a rental.

Cheers

Ginny