Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

packing your PC to take to Aus

packing your PC to take to Aus

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:55 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default packing your PC to take to Aus

Just about to pack up my PC ready to send it on its long journey to aus, and just wondering does it have to be kept up right or can i pack it on its side???

I dont want to sendit all that way and end up with a broken PC,any advice on how to pack it will begreatly appreciated....

laura
xx
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: packing your PC to take to Aus

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Just about to pack up my PC ready to send it on its long journey to aus, and just wondering does it have to be kept up right or can i pack it on its side???

I dont want to sendit all that way and end up with a broken PC,any advice on how to pack it will begreatly appreciated....

laura
xx
Hi Laura,

It can go on it's side (mine did) as the disk heads should park thmesellves sercurely when the power is off, but I'd pack it in the original packaging if you still have it. Otherwise a large box with an astounding amount of polystyrene should do it.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

steve the man is on a distinguished road

Hi I too am about to move to Oz in the next few weeks and will be packing my PC, fortunately I have kept the original boxes that it came in so have all the polystyrene bits as well , I think that as long as it is well packed IE not rattling around in the box it should be alright on its side ,also make sure whoever is shipping it is aware that there is delicate equipment in the box .
Good luck for your move Down Under
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:14 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would lay it on its side too so that the motherboard is horizontal. mine has a large cooler fan for the cpu which if transported upright would snap off if jarred during transport. so definately on its side.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:19 am
GoldMember(AustinPowers)

SprintST1 will become famous soon enough

Or sell it & spend all the time hassle & money on a shiny new notebook & take it with you on the plane.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:20 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Laura,

Text me if you can to let me know that you've arrived safely and also that Montu is OK. I can't believe in just a few weeks you'll be in Melbourne!!!!

Val xxx
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:57 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, on its side it will go, covered in tons of bubblewrap.....

I'll try to pop in while staying with the in-laws,and i'll post when i get to Melbourne.....
Good luck everyone
BYE for now

Laura
xxxxx
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:08 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SprintST1
Or sell it & spend all the time hassle & money on a shiny new notebook & take it with you on the plane.

Good idea !!!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:03 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

laura
xx
laura if the computers not packed yet i read somewhere to wrap them in your duvet and then you get 2 things to go for the price of 1 plus duvets i hear are expensive in aus
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by kelli28
laura if the computers not packed yet i read somewhere to wrap them in your duvet and then you get 2 things to go for the price of 1 plus duvets i hear are expensive in aus

good idea,thanks keli,i'll double bubble wrap and then duvet round it....

speak soon
laura

PSwill you be comming toour leaving party in darlo - PM mefor details
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, mine came in a crate with a duvet, two pillows, and a few other bits and pieces like CDs slotted down the sides outside the duvet.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

speak soon
laura

PSwill you be comming toour leaving party in darlo - PM mefor details
Just remember PBO {packed by owner}items will not becovered by insurance............................... MM
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Doesn't matter if it is upright or not. However, I would open it up and remove the hard drive (take this through hand luggage). Whilst you are in there - make sure that all the cards are tightly plugged into the mboard. When you re install the hard drive make sure you do the same again.

We wrapped ours in a duvet cover. The scanners at the airiport will not damage your hard disk.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

laura
xx
My main suggestion would be to remove the hard drives and place them in an anti-static bag with some silica gel saches. Pack them in some clothing. I would also backup any critical data.

I brought all the guts of my PC in my suitcase and bought a new case and monitor here.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend removing the hard drive as well especially if it's going to be in a container for an extended period. Gets dammed hot in those things.

My brother (Captain Luddite) insisted on bringing a pentium 166. Unfortunately because the whole 'tainer was PBO, Quarantine removed everything and then repacked with the aid of a front loader driven by a person of hugely diminished intelligence! The 'tainer then sat in Towomba for a year and a half before delivery.

Bruv was highly disappointed at the number of bad sectors on his disk I told him to try and get it running and then he could use it to teach the local kids what it was like in "the olden days"

Generally though it seems that professionally packed stuff on a door to door trip doesn't suffer that much. BTW Did you know that Aussie Dell are running quite a few offers. 19" LCD with 2.8 gHz and 40Gb drive @ $AU1499 (£600). I'd struggle to build one that cheap!