Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing Sofa's container

Packing Sofa's container

Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:41 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Packing Sofa's container

We're DIY ing our shipping, a container is arriving outside our house on Monday :scared: to pick up all our worldly goods.

Wondering how those who've done it or had stuff moved - how do the movers protect the Sofa's , we've got leather & suede sofa (1 of each) , you can buy big plastic bag type things - do they just wrap them in those and chuck in some of those moisture sachets?....

everything else is in cardboard boxes or buble wrap and going to be tied to the container itself with about 3 miles of rope!.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Packing Sofa's container

Hiya,

I have read that you shouldn't wrap anything in plastic as it sweats and goes mouldy not sure about leather our shipping company used brown paper which had bubble wrap in between two layes of paper.

Best of Luck Lori
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by spalen
We're DIY ing our shipping, a container is arriving outside our house on Monday :scared: to pick up all our worldly goods.

Wondering how those who've done it or had stuff moved - how do the movers protect the Sofa's , we've got leather & suede sofa (1 of each) , you can buy big plastic bag type things - do they just wrap them in those and chuck in some of those moisture sachets?....

everything else is in cardboard boxes or buble wrap and going to be tied to the container itself with about 3 miles of rope!.

Good luck for the packing we are just on the big clear out before selling house,
hope it all goes well Chris
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:37 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

we use plastic SHIP wrap, to cover, fabric lounges,and polished furniture, DONOT put leather in plastic, you can cover it in old blankets or buy shipping blankets from most removal companies, ship wrap is a sandwich of paper or plastic outer and is bubble wrap on the inside, it costs about $118 for a 50mtr roll here in aust, and some UK companies do use it ,worth its weight in gold. The trick with container loading is keep every thing tight, and walk in container ,close doors behind you ,and check roof of container ,any pin pricks of light, do not except as it will be a "leaker"............. mm
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

I noted when our sofas were packed by Pickford that they packed them on their ends - not only for space but apparantly they keep their shape better in the hot conditions within the container. All materials were packed in brown paper only (a massive non plastic jiffy bag).

Take a note of your seal number when attached - some do get broken and new ones put on/new things put in !

Good luck !
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:12 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Our leather sofas where put in giant padded paper envelopes, see if they can supply them, ours got here without a mark.

Jenny
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:56 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - yet again top advice on here , my 4mth old (doh!) leather sofa would've been destined for the rubbish-depot in Aus by the sounds of it if I'd done what I wanted... thanks for saving me that !.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:35 pm
ah-beng

Just an update for those thinking of doing it themselves.

I phoned around local pacakaging companies and then ended up ringing a local removal company that does international shipping, they sold me 2 'sofa bags' which are huge envelopes you slip the sofa into . They're kind paper padded envelopes like massive jiffy bags.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Just an update for those thinking of doing it themselves.

I phoned around local pacakaging companies and then ended up ringing a local removal company that does international shipping, they sold me 2 'sofa bags' which are huge envelopes you slip the sofa into . They're kind paper padded envelopes like massive jiffy bags.
Ian,
Good Luck for Monday. Its going to be a long day for you.