P.o.m.e

Old Jan 17th 2003, 10:13 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Cool P.o.m.e

hey guys.
ive often wondered why the ozzies called us poms and after doing some research have found out that its actually short for........ Prisoner Of Mother England. so infact it is spelt pome.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I was wondering that myself - thanks for the info-at least I know what is is now, I bet most of the Aussies don't.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: P.o.m.e

Originally posted by denhim
hey guys.
ive often wondered why the ozzies called us poms and after doing some research have found out that its actually short for........ Prisoner Of Mother England. so infact it is spelt pome.
I have heard several definitions for POM. And I doubt anybody knows which is the correct one. ANd if they claim they do, how can you believe them? Where they there when the term was coined?

Some say it stands for "Prisoner of Mother England," others for "Person of Mother England". The other theory is that it was POHM - Prisoner of His Majesty. Pronounced POM.

Another one: it's short for the rhyming slang term "Pomegranate Immigrant".

Yet another one I heard: that it's in reference to their rosy apple cheeks (apple=pomme).

Or how about this: short for "Pompous", in reference to some of the aristocratic types who were our early governors and commanders?

In Canada you're called Limeys because of the limes you ate while on voyages, to avoid scurvy.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

tomtanktop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: P.o.m.e

Originally posted by Perth Helena
I have heard several definitions for POM. And I doubt anybody knows which is the correct one. ANd if they claim they do, how can you believe them? Where they there when the term was coined?

Some say it stands for "Prisoner of Mother England," others for "Person of Mother England". The other theory is that it was POHM - Prisoner of His Majesty. Pronounced POM.

Another one: it's short for the rhyming slang term "Pomegranate Immigrant".

Yet another one I heard: that it's in reference to their rosy apple cheeks (apple=pomme).

Or how about this: short for "Pompous", in reference to some of the aristocratic types who were our early governors and commanders?

In Canada you're called Limeys because of the limes you ate while on voyages, to avoid scurvy.
Maybe its because of the apples/pommes that were eaten on voyages, an apple a day keeps the doctor away!?
Old Jan 20th 2003, 12:42 pm
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P.o.m.e.

This comes up every so often.

The explanations which suggest that it is an acronym for "Prisoner of Mother England" or "Prisoner of Her Majesty" or anything else are almost certainly false, for a number of reasons.

First, the spellings "pome" and "pohm" are never found. From its earliest use (about 1913) the recording spelling has always been "pom".

Secondly, no acronyms appear in English before the mid-twentieth century, whereas "pom" is recorded from about 1913.

Thirdly, convict transportation ended about 1880 - well before "pom" appears.

Finally, from its earliest use "pom" was applied to all recent migrants from England. Even if we assume that it was used but not recorded before that, clearly there is no need for a term describing recent migrants until there is already in place a settled community of long-standing migrants and native-born Australians of European descent. But, by the time that this is true, the overwhelming majority of new migrants are free settlers, not convicts. Hence, if they were coining a term to describe new migrants, they would not coin a term based on the presumption that a typical new migrant was a convict.

Most linguists favour the view that "pom" is an abbreviation of "pomegranite", which in turn is rhyming slang for "immigrant".
Old Jan 20th 2003, 5:32 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

I thought it stood for" Dyslexic Migrants from Britain"

BB-DMB through n through
Old Jan 20th 2003, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default p.m.t.

hi balderoso, thats D.M.B thats what the wife has every month.

we will have a good pb bashing when we both get their you with your nam expertise rooting out the vermine.
or is that nam bread your fav food.

love tipper.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Paddy kopieczek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default POMs

I was told it stood for Prisoner of Milbank. Milbank was formerly the largest prison in London, where all the convicts awaiting transportation out of England were help until they were sent or pardoned or transferred elsewhere. I guess this is yet another questionable but reasonable theory...

I enclose the following quotation:

"It is the largest prison in London. Every male and female convict sentenced to transportation in Great Britain is sent to Millbank previous to the sentence being executed. Here they remain about three months under the close inspection of the three inspectors of the prison, at the end of which time the inspectors report to the Home Secretary, and recommend the place of transportation. The number of persons in Great Britain and Ireland condemned to transportation every year amounts to about 4000. So far the accommodation of the prison permits, the separate system is adopted. Admission to inspect - order from the Secretary for the Home Department, or the Inspector of Prisons. "

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
Old Jul 15th 2003, 5:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

From the Macquarie dictionary:

pommy
noun (Derogatory) 1. an English person. --adjective 2. English. Also, Pommy, Pom, pom. [probably from pomegranate, rhyming slang for `immigrant'. Definitely not from the purported acronym POME, supposedly standing for Prisoner Of Mother England]
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr

pommy
noun (Derogatory) 1. an English person. --adjective 2. English. Also, Pommy, Pom, pom. [probably from pomegranate, rhyming slang for `immigrant'. Definitely not from the purported acronym POME, supposedly standing for Prisoner Of Mother England]
Here's what I found out about the word, I always thought it was an acronym for Prisoners of Her Majesty, as a bit of revenge for the English calling Australians convicts, but there you go .....

POM

Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:25 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: p.m.t.

Originally posted by tipper
hi balderoso, thats D.M.B thats what the wife has every month.

we will have a good pb bashing when we both get their you with your nam expertise rooting out the vermine.
or is that nam bread your fav food.

love tipper.
Hey tipper, i am also from Stalybridge, used to go to West Hill, parents had a shop on Melbourne st. I am waiting to head to Brissie area, tho did look at Mooloo on the web, will have a look at mooloo before deciding where to settle, what do you think of the place?
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr

pommy

Pardon me, but am I the only one who can't see how "pomegranate" remotely rhymes with "immigrant" !! And whats the connection with pommegranates? Most Brits have never tasted one! I dont think they're even native to
Britain.

In France, we're called "rossbeef" (Roast Beefs)
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:41 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd heard that it stood for "Prisoner Of Motherland"