Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:47 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Originally Posted by northernlights
Unfortunately, Australia favours the guy who is in debt and not the prudent saver.

If I have a big mortgage and can’t afford to save, therefore no savings and lose my job, I can have a year ‘mortgage holiday’ from the bank and claim Centrelink benefits.

If I have savings, due to being careful and prudent by not getting mortgaged up to the max, lose my job, then I can’t claim Centrelink because I have savings (I believe over $4000K) . No-one will give me a ‘mortgage holiday’.

So the message is, get mortgaged to max, don’t worry about saving for a rainy day because Krudd and his cronies will save you.
Those mortgage holidays are not interest free though, so the debt just gets bigger. I would still rather be prudent, and reduce my debts, than take a mortgage "holiday" and increase my debts.
The new bank measures, which include capitalising interest, increase the risk of negative equity which has been a major problem overseas. People who take on these options will end up with a greater debt and higher repayments at the end of the day.
The savings threshold, (Liquid assets) for benefit is:
$5,500 if you are single
$11,000 if you are a couple, or single with dependants
If your liquid assets are above this amount, there will be a liquid assets waiting period, which can vary from 1-13 weeks.
There are exemptions from the liquid assets waiting period, that many people are able to opt for...

The normal asset test, after the liquid asset test period, is $178,000 for a single person full benefit or $500,000 part benefit, (not including your own house).
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ts/chartab.htm

Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Originally Posted by kar-kier
We don't have a weeks worth of savings, never mind a months!!!

Having recently moved to Oz from UK, I'd def say they are in a worse position than an us.
For the moment would agree but wait there is every chance the worst is yet to hit Australia. Hope i am wrong but next year may well see a decline in confidence and all that entails as the recession bites.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Those mortgage holidays are not interest free though, so the debt just gets bigger. I would still rather be prudent, and reduce my debts, than take a mortgage "holiday" and increase my debts.

The savings threshold, (Liquid assets) for benefit is:
$5,500 if you are single
$11,000 if you are a couple, or single with dependants
If your liquid assets are above this amount, there will be a liquid assets waiting period, which can vary from 1-13 weeks.
There are exemptions from the liquid assets waiting period, that many people are able to opt for...

The normal asset test, after the liquid asset test period, is $178,000 for a single person full benefit or $500,000 part benefit, (not including your own house).
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ts/chartab.htm
Thanks for the link ABC. Something I'm going to have a look at, just in case.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the troubadour
For the moment would agree but wait there is every chance the worst is yet to hit Australia. Hope i am wrong but next year may well see a decline in confidence and all that entails as the recession bites.
Agree 100% troubadour. That's why I'm preparing the worst, forewarned is forarmed.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
These people had around 10...and another on the way. The jist of the story was that they couldn't fit into their existing (free) house and would like another one thank you very much. Sound familiar? Of course it could've just been sensationalist journalism to bait the masses into a reaction - they didn't think of the asylum seeker angle though. Hmmm.
I guess how it's reported makes it better or worse. For example, I know in the UK that some families have given larger houses by the authorities and it just so happens that these houses are now in affluent areas - so if it was potentially worth 2,500 pounds a month in rent (on the free market) you could technically say they are getting 30,000 in benefits for they house alone.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You say that but the NAB just only today have revised its estimates on interest rates to hold now at the lowest and then go up again toward 2010. Interesting times.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
You say that but the NAB just only today have revised its estimates on interest rates to hold now at the lowest and then go up again toward 2010. Interesting times.
Westpac have said similar:
"The annualised growth rate has now been negative for eight consecutive months but the low point appears to have been reached after just five months," he wrote in the report.

"That compares with the last two recessions we have had in this country when the annualised growth rate remained negative for 20 months (1989/1991) and 16 months (1981/83). In those episodes it took 12 (1990/92) and 11 (1983/84) months before the growth rate reached its low point."

He says the figures indicate that Australia can expect a quicker recovery than previous recessions.

"Certainly recent economic data supports a stronger and earlier recovery than we had previously expected," he commented.
and
Westpac's chief economist, Bill Evans also says the positive effects of the RBA cutting official interest rates to 3 per cent may mean rates do not fall any further.
I heard the CBA this morning saying the next expected move for interest rates will be upwards, but not for about 6 months or so.

Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Nor did I.. I expected them to be reasonably similar, and had to check a few sources in case I was getting it wrong.

I admit I am still not 100% sure how it could be right, but until I see contrary to that, it does appear to be the case.

Another interesting article seems to show that most debt is held by the richer class, and therefore throws the averages out.
Few of us living beyond our means
The Australian credit card industry is much more tightly regulated than the UK, but was heading in the same direction. You could say it is lucky that the world went into a financial crisis meltdown.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:51 am
Account Closed

I think the answer to your question is No.

But I do agree with your question, in general, on the stupidity of using more credit than a person can afford.

I wonder how many Ozzys now think it is OK to ask "Are the British that stupid to have so much credit card debt?"
You should really blame the credit card companies for that in the UK. They would dole out credit cards like it is going out of fashion, whereas in Australia a lot of people would be declined.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Burbage
Put it another way, would you rather be a bank in Australia or in the UK?
The Aussie banks make more money.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sr71
But exchange rates are complex and subject to many factors. Just because one has dropped by 24% vs 10% it doesn't mean that there is a 'normal' level that they will return to.

If indeed you are able to predict currencies so accurately then you would be extremely rich.

What exactly does the UK export these days?
Not a lot. The UK economy is mainly geared around financial services now.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
Police are out in force this morning? Hello hello, what we got here then? Makes me laugh, are we in the early stages of an Orwellian forum? Defend Oz at all costs, do not allow free speech by way of posts? Why have two forum moderators jumped all over and on this thread? Turning the Authoritarianism screw maybe? Power is something which once held is difficult not to over enforce? A good moderator will always not allow his or her own opinion muddy the debate of an open forum? Have i broken another rule, questioned a moderator? Rules rules, in the UK and in Oz rules, they will kill society stone dead. Brown is a dictator, been described as a mafioso boss, do we really need this kind of society, nope. I just hope Rudd does not try to mimc Brown, if he does, well god help us all, remember i am an Ozzy now.
Sweetpea, I think a good therapy session might be in good order! You sound slightly unhinged!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I really don't see how this is situation is unique to Australia. Does every person in the UK have savings of more than a months worth of expenses ? Do they heck. Google credit card debt and the UK.

Having just been to the UK myself last week if anyone wants to see dire economic outlook feelings from the general public it is there. Facts remain that Australia has weathered the economy better than any other westernised nation to date and has not slipped into recession (although you don't call it that in the UK - its impolite, you call it a credit crunch).

I think the abc is short on decent news today.
I live in uk & have savings which would let me live quite comfortable for a few years let alone months & most of my friends have similar so your ( do they heck) answer in some areas is yes we do.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:31 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I am always skint. I can't think of the last time I had a months saving in the bank.

It was probably when I was last in the UK.

but hey, I'm happy. and I have a nice swimming pool and am getting stupider by the minute.

vivienne
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:24 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viviennef
but hey, I'm happy. and I have a nice swimming pool and am getting stupider by the minute.

vivienne
That the main thing, you cant take it with you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.