Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

My first thread was deleted, appologies for any rules broken?

Are things that expensive in Australia now? What are your thoughts? This is quite worrying news considering things in Australia are different to the UK? Maybe not hey?

Four in ten Australians living on the edge

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business

A survey has found that four out of ten Australians have no more than a month's worth of living expenses in savings.

In a climate where unemployment continues to rise, albeit more slowly than was generally forecast, the new figures are further evidence that many Australians are living close to the edge of financial oblivion if they lose their job and cannot immediately find another one.

The figures were worse for the young and those on average incomes: 51 per cent of those earning between $30,000-69,999 said they would only last up to 30 days on their savings, and only around half of respondents aged between 18 and 34 said they would be able to last out more than a month with no income.

The Dunn and Bradstreet Consumer Credit Expectations Survey focuses on savings, credit use, spending and debt performance over the September quarter.

Credit card reliant

The survey of 1,200 people also found that more than a third of people (38 per cent) anticipate they will be forced to use their credit card to cover household expenses in the months ahead.

It also found that 14 per cent expect to apply for a credit limit increase on their credit cards in coming months.

The credit card figures stand in contrast to recent official personal finance data that show a decline in credit card use after the financial crisis took hold.

However, Dunn and Bradstreet's chief executive, Christine Christian, says the economic climate is making it increasingly difficult for certain demographics to manage their budgets.

"Australians are feeling challenged by the current economic conditions," she said.

"It's mainly in the middle income household segment, that is people earning between $30,000 and $69,000 a year, they are feeling it particularly hard."

However, there is some good news for retailers - 32 per cent of those surveyed said they intend to make a 'major purchase' during the three months to September.

Last edited by brendarover; Jul 14th 2009 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:27 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

I really don't see how this is situation is unique to Australia. Does every person in the UK have savings of more than a months worth of expenses ? Do they heck. Google credit card debt and the UK.

Having just been to the UK myself last week if anyone wants to see dire economic outlook feelings from the general public it is there. Facts remain that Australia has weathered the economy better than any other westernised nation to date and has not slipped into recession (although you don't call it that in the UK - its impolite, you call it a credit crunch).

I think the abc is short on decent news today.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:03 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Originally Posted by Centurion
I really don't see how this is situation is unique to Australia. Does every person in the UK have savings of more than a months worth of expenses ? Do they heck. Google credit card debt and the UK.

Having just been to the UK myself last week if anyone wants to see dire economic outlook feelings from the general public it is there. Facts remain that Australia has weathered the economy better than any other westernised nation to date and has not slipped into recession (although you don't call it that in the UK - its impolite, you call it a credit crunch).

I think the abc is short on decent news today.

Good to see you have managed to adopt the "sun always shines approach relatively quickly"? Oz is in a far worse position than the UK, its just swept under the tree house for now, the Oz dollar is so overvalued realtive to the UK pound, give it time me friend, your optimism is very Australian, but the truth always shines through, like the sun. It ain't no different in Oz. You like to state so, but it ain't, you have an economy the size of London, yet you have faired better, ok, right, we will see, no vi there then?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:17 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
Good to see you have managed to adopt the "sun always shines approach relatively quickly"? Oz is in a far worse position than the UK, its just swept under the tree house for now, the Oz dollar is so overvalued realtive to the UK pound, give it time me friend, your optimism is very Australian, but the truth always shines through, like the sun. It ain't no different in Oz. You like to state so, but it ain't, you have an economy the size of London, yet you have faired better, ok, right, we will see, no vi there then?
Why is it that someone who disagrees with your view is deemed as "sun always shines"?

You didn't start this thread to create a flaming row did you

As it happens, I also think Australia has fared better than UK overall however no one is stupid enough to realise it hasn't affected everyday people in a big way. Whenever cash is short and companies stop giving annual wage rises and there is an increase in the cost of living - this results in everyday people living in debt. This happens in UK and Aus - doesn't mean they are stupid it means they are surviving the best way they can. This is generally speaking as there will always be the exception to the norm.

It's tough right now and most people are feeling it. That's in UK and in Aus.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously Australia faces massive uphill economic challenges as the rest of the world does. But never let facts get in the way of a decent Australia bagging.

Actually now you mention it the sun has come up and my optimism is brimming over. Time for a morning run.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No we do not but I think if I think back to when we had young children at home and were buying our first home and even though we both worked it was not all easy street. If its easy street for you then you are lucky. Most people find it hard to save when buying homes, running cars, having children etc.

Everyone would save if they could.

Now that houses have risen so much in price and people have to take our very large home loans and the average wage has not risen much I completely understand and I am sure its the same all over the western world.

If you want to tell us you are rich I am not interested.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:53 pm
Banned

Police are out in force this morning? Hello hello, what we got here then? Makes me laugh, are we in the early stages of an Orwellian forum? Defend Oz at all costs, do not allow free speech by way of posts? Why have two forum moderators jumped all over and on this thread? Turning the Authoritarianism screw maybe? Power is something which once held is difficult not to over enforce? A good moderator will always not allow his or her own opinion muddy the debate of an open forum? Have i broken another rule, questioned a moderator? Rules rules, in the UK and in Oz rules, they will kill society stone dead. Brown is a dictator, been described as a mafioso boss, do we really need this kind of society, nope. I just hope Rudd does not try to mimc Brown, if he does, well god help us all, remember i am an Ozzy now.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

Four in ten people living in Australia are not actually "Ozzies".

Maybe the 4 in 10 people they are talking about are recent arrivals struggling to establish themselves in a new country?

Seems a bit harsh to brand Ozzies as stupid when you dont know the demographic of the sample that was polled.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:07 pm
Banned

Oz is struggling, fair better than the UK, not a chance, i admit, i am concerned, because if the US can go through what it is, now the UK is on its knee's, Oz does not stand a chance, it is so outrageously expensive realative to wages, but is it acknowledged on here, no way, the sun is shining?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Police are out in force this morning? Hello hello, what we got here then? Makes me laugh, are we in the early stages of an Orwellian forum? Defend Oz at all costs, do not allow free speech by way of posts? Why have two forum moderators jumped all over and on this thread? Turning the Authoritarianism screw maybe? Power is something which once held is difficult not to over enforce? A good moderator will always not allow his or her own opinion muddy the debate of an open forum? Have i broken another rule, questioned a moderator? Rules rules, in the UK and in Oz rules, they will kill society stone dead. Brown is a dictator, been described as a mafioso boss, do we really need this kind of society, nope. I just hope Rudd does not try to mimc Brown, if he does, well god help us all, remember i am an Ozzy now.
Moderators are quite at liberty to post their own opinions, just the same as anyone else, and as far as I can see thats what they've done!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Moderators are quite at liberty to post their own opinions, just the same as anyone else, and as far as I can see thats what they've done!
Sorry Polly, i do have a soft spot for you, i know, i am b@ckside l!cking, but i do genuinely like you, even though we have never k!ssed!

Sirover
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:31 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Are you smoking something funny

I am up, just about to go to work so that I'm not in debt...and I replied to your nonsensical post which incidentally is also very derogatory to anyone who is struggling and in debt for whatever reason. The fact you called all Australian's stupid because of some of them going into debt [for whatever reason]made no sense to me. And now you don't like the reasoning, you chose to state all moderators are out in force

It seems you don't reason very well nor do you look at facts to substantiate your spurious claims. Thank god you don't moderate is all I can say

If you can see anywhere else that either myself or Centurion have "jumped all over a tread" then go knock yourself out and prove it. Whether you like it or not moderators have their own brains, own opinions and own views on life.

How about you reason with a sensible thread and sensible debate and you might find yourself learning something for a change instead of jumping to conclusions mate
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Polly, i do have a soft spot for you, i know, i am b@ckside l!cking, but i do genuinely like you, even though we have never k!ssed!

Sirover
Well it seems there is a queue both for backside licking, and for kissing, these days, so you may have to wait your turn
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well it seems there is a queue both for backside licking, and for kissing, these days, so you may have to wait your turn
All the patience in the world Polly, i will wait my turn, but believe me, once you have had the kiss and been kissed by Monsieur Rover, the master of the buttock, the king of the kiss, then your days of super duper moderator will be over, and you will be mine, together forever, your Oz fella will be history and i will repatriate you, in my arms, we will fly North on your broom stick, to warmer climates, and breed little Polly's, to watch over the naughty people, in Oz?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:48 pm
Home and Happy

All the patience in the world Polly, i will wait my turn, but believe me, once you have had the kiss and been kissed by Monsieur Rover, the master of the buttock, the king of the kiss, then your days of super duper moderator will be over, and you will be mine, together forever, your Oz fella will be history and i will repatriate you, in my arms, we will fly North on your broom stick, to warmer climates, and breed little Polly's, to watch over the naughty people, in Oz?
BREED?!!! Not on your nelly! Even I have my limits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.