Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:48 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Are you smoking something funny

I am up, just about to go to work so that I'm not in debt...and I replied to your nonsensical post which incidentally is also very derogatory to anyone who is struggling and in debt for whatever reason. The fact you called all Australian's stupid because of some of them going into debt [for whatever reason]made no sense to me. And now you don't like the reasoning, you chose to state all moderators are out in force

It seems you don't reason very well nor do you look at facts to substantiate your spurious claims. Thank god you don't moderate is all I can say

If you can see anywhere else that either myself or Centurion have "jumped all over a tread" then go knock yourself out and prove it. Whether you like it or not moderators have their own brains, own opinions and own views on life.

How about you reason with a sensible thread and sensible debate and you might find yourself learning something for a change instead of jumping to conclusions mate

Well at least you never banned me, i will give you the benefit of my doubt, i never called one Ozzy "stupid" i posted a link, you are quoting a link, not me?

But chill man, you have work, do not tire yourself with flaming me? Have a nice day, enjoy, be happy, smile, be positive, but most of all, you are alive, enjoy! Sonofwalter? I had an uncle called Walter, was not his falt though, father hated him.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:51 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are the Ozzy's really that stupid to rely on credit just to live daily?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BREED?!!! Not on your nelly! Even I have my limits

You have not seen me, you might like the look of me? Early forties hunk, i tell yeh, you could do worse. Thinning a bit on top, but all working down stairs. No problems there, i fake nowt!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
You have not seen me, you might like the look of me? Early forties hunk, i tell yeh, you could do worse. Thinning a bit on top, but all working down stairs. No problems there, i fake nowt!
Its the word "breed" which causes terror........one Polly around the place is enough thanks
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its the word "breed" which causes terror........one Polly around the place is enough thanks
My guess is you are around my age early to mid forties, graft hard, say what you think, no kids, married to an Ozzy, miss the UK, but you stand by your man? He respects your views, but you love him, you take no sh!te, he gives you none, you are a pretty strong person, character wise i mean?

Guessing i know, but fun?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:27 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We don't have a weeks worth of savings, never mind a months!!!

Having recently moved to Oz from UK, I'd def say they are in a worse position than an us.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:36 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly don't think Aussies have any more of a credit card problem than in the UK.

What I do think Aussies have an addiction to though is much larger scale debt through property investment & margin lending (to invest in the markets). It must leave great swathes of people very susceptible to rises in interest rates. Othen than those who have fallen victim to margin calls over the last year, most people have been OK due to lower interest rates.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had woken up in Bizarro land after reading this thread.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:48 am
ABCDiamond

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business

The survey of 1,200 people ...

The credit card figures stand in contrast to recent official personal finance data that show a decline in credit card use after the financial crisis took hold.
Interesting to look at those two statements....

The results of that survey, of 1200 people, is different to the official one using all bank data, for effectively the Australian population, rather than just 1200 people...

It is interesting to compare Australia to the UK on this;

•UK
The average Scot owes £6598 on credit cards and loans - up £1649 (33%) since April 2009. Scotland has the third highest average level of credit-card debt in the UK, after the north-west of England on £7417 (about 12 weeks average wages) and the east of England on £6608
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-21464100/

• Australia
April 16, 2009
Australian credit card debt grew 1.7 per cent to a record $45.4 billion, equating to an average debt of $3,149 (about 3 weeks average wages) for every cardholder in the country.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/m...015840,00.html

Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Interesting to look at those two statements....
I was rather hoping that you would contribute to this one

My post's point was that comparatively speaking the credit card situation in Australia would be the same as anywhere else, such as the UK. I must confess I didn't think that it would actually be worse in the UK by such a margin
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
I was rather hoping that you would contribute to this one

My post's point was that comparatively speaking the credit card situation in Australia would be the same as anywhere else, such as the UK. I must confess I didn't think that it would actually be worse in the UK by such a margin
Nor did I.. I expected them to be reasonably similar, and had to check a few sources in case I was getting it wrong.

I admit I am still not 100% sure how it could be right, but until I see contrary to that, it does appear to be the case.

Another interesting article seems to show that most debt is held by the richer class, and therefore throws the averages out.
"Most Australian households hold relatively little debt and, among those that do, the evidence suggest the burden is mostly within the income earning capacity." The HILDA data reveals that, pre-crisis, less than 10 per cent of Australian households had debt levels that could be considered excessive.
Few of us living beyond our means

Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

the Oz dollar is so overvalued realtive to the UK pound
Can you explain that with definitive economic reasons or are you just basing it anecdotally on the fact the pound used to be stronger and that you aren't getting the exchange rates you used to get?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:13 am
ABCDiamond

What are your thoughts?
I think the answer to your question is No.

But I do agree with your question, in general, on the stupidity of using more credit than a person can afford.

I wonder how many Ozzys now think it is OK to ask "Are the British that stupid to have so much credit card debt?"

Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Can you explain that with definitive economic reasons or are you just basing it anecdotally on the fact the pound used to be stronger and that you aren't getting the exchange rates you used to get?
IMO the stength of a currency is not always the best indicator of that country's overall economy. A weaker currency can often be a huge benefit to a nation, especially a nation that exports a lot - like Australia. South Africa has gained huge benefits from having a relatively weak currency - most of it's recent growth has been based on it. SA's large car export sector now makes more money for the country than gold does.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:20 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think the answer to your question is No.

But I do agree with your question, in general, on the stupidity of using more credit than a person can afford.

I wonder how many Ozzys now think it is OK to ask "Are the British that stupid to have so much credit card debt?"
Put it another way, would you rather be a bank in Australia or in the UK?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sr71
In case no one else has the info...

During the last 2 years the:
British £ has dropped by 24.9% compared to the US Dollar
Aus Dollar has dropped by 10.4% compared to the US Dollar

As has been said, this reduced value of the £ will help the UK export market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.