Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Originally Posted by JayneS
Meemo has to be the worst

and thongs took some getting used to especially when walking into a pub and seeing a sign saying 'NO THONGS' and I'm thinking my god do they actually look up your skirt and check your knickers.

And my god do they love their abbreviations over here - if its got more than 3 letters they'll abbreviate it.

oh and 'crack the shits' - that's a mental one too.
A couple of years ago I was in a lift in Canberra (yep, they do have 3 of them) and overhead two Australians of Chinese ancestry talking about someone and saying "He gives me the Jimmy Brits". They hopped out of the lift and it continued on its merry way. A few of the people in the lift asked "What were they saying, was it Chinese?" I burst out laughing.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:26 pm
blossom

Mine was always Chips instead of Crisps.

Answering other responses, I am fairly certain that Manchester, is derived from the fact that the fabrics that make up the towels and bed linens originally came from the cotton mills of Manchester.

Blossom

Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Top thread !

Looking forward to all these new words etc. Not sure I'll have the confidence to use them myself for a long while after I get there.

I like Esky myself.

Cadman
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Runners for trainers, the funny thing is I grew up in Ireland and they were known as runners there and also we said yo-gurt. When I moved to London I learned to call them trainers and yogurt and now have to try and remember to revert back to the irish/australian way again. The other thing that always gets me is I keep referring to capsicums as peppers and get some funny looks.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:02 am
blossom

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
To those that complained about the use of words like 'Wogs' and "pakis' After a long while in this country, I'm going to strongly complain about your attitude to these words. Can you see by complaining about these words, It is you and not the people that use these words innocently and without malice in this country that are actually 'importing racist attitudes'

Just a thought

Italians and Greeks and turks quite happily use the wogs to describe themselves here.

Pakistanis have been known to complain about the use of the word, especially those that have spent more time in England rather than Pakistan. I've seen this debate before many times, basically they get the response "wake up idiot"

Do not import rascist overtones from England Please !!!

I agree with these sentiments. In fact, there was a programme on tv last week about the use of the word Pakki. Basically this Pakistani chap is trying to change attitudes within his own race/culture here in UK, and says there is absolutely nothing racial about being called a Pakki. And most younger people of Pakistani origin feel the same, it is the older generation who have objected to all this, and he is now trying to turn the tide on all this political correctness. I say good for him, and how forward thinking this chap is, surely this will go a long way in promoting racial equality, if he succeeds!

Blossom

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:08 am
blossom

To those that complained about the use of words like 'Wogs' and "pakis' After a long while in this country, I'm going to strongly complain about your attitude to these words. Can you see by complaining about these words, It is you and not the people that use these words innocently and without malice in this country that are actually 'importing racist attitudes'

Just a thought

Italians and Greeks and turks quite happily use the wogs to describe themselves here.

Pakistanis have been known to complain about the use of the word, especially those that have spent more time in England rather than Pakistan. I've seen this debate before many times, basically they get the response "wake up idiot"

Do not import rascist overtones from England Please !!!

I agree with these sentiments. In fact, there was a programme on tv last week about the use of the word Pakki. Basically this Pakistani chap is trying to change attitudes within his own race/culture here in UK, and says there is absolutely nothing racial about being called a Pakki. And most younger people of Pakistani origin feel the same, it is the older generation who have objected to all this, and he is now trying to turn the tide on all this political correctness. I say good for him, and how forward thinking this chap is, surely this will go a long way in promoting racial equality, if he succeeds!

Blossom

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:10 am
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Can't wait to get back and start using some of these again:
'far out'
'gutless wonder'
'up himself'
'she'll be right'
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:18 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

"Cool Bananas" is an old favorite. "pigs ass" and "on'ya" are regulars too!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by the thread title I would say Aussie took Un-Co the longest to get used to. Apologies if anyone else has mentioned it - not going to trawl through 4 pages!

Just above Pakki is mentioned. You wouldn't think it should cause a problem because Aussie to Australia is exactly the same as Pakki to Pakistani. The important thing is the way in which the word is used. If a shaven headed National Front member sporting a Union Jack used the term it would be interpreted in different way to most other people using it.

OzTennis
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:56 am

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

Last time i was in Bali i heard some Auzzies talking and one of them asked the other "what's the go?" I found that one really strange!!

Also the Capsicums one gets me everytime, especially when in Subway!!! On my last visit to Auz the guy there looked at me like i was an alien when i asked for peppers!!

When i was there in Jan this year i also found the whole scooner/ midi thing hard to remember!! And a friend i was with drinks martini, which we were reliably informed, by an Auzzie was dry vermouth!! Nobody knew what this was either!! She had to drink beer all holiday!!!
Tough life hey!!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road

............right then boyo's, which one of you then called me a TAFF like?,

........now, some people would say that being called a taff is racist,
most of those work in middle government and have sacked friends for the use of the word. others just like receiving money from councils for being called by a word that affectionally highlights their origin.

personally I find it great when you can walk into a pub, ask for a pint and have someone shout 'alright taff', usually starts a conversation in a strange place and provides a few pints!

mind you, i can understand why some english fellas would take a disliking to being called by the 'endearing' term for an english person............w@nker
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:46 am

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

its all getting a little heated in here. I think the thing to remember is that in Auz these terms of endearmetn are commonly used and don't have the same effect as they do in the uk. I think as long as you take these things with a pinch of salt what harm are people doing? It's just good old auzzie banter!! Being a scouser i get banter wherever i go and can give as good as i get!! I personally think (as our good friend the taff said!!) it's often a good conversation strted and if you havn't got a sense of humour what have you got????

Lighten up!!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not importing anything. The OP question was "which ozzie words took you the longest to get used to" I expressed WOG as mine.

You can "strongly complain" all you like but the fact is that "I" find the term hard to get used to as i would never call anyone a wog because where "I" come from its very wrong. I would never choose to express this opinion to an Aussie but as it was asked on a british forum i feel i have the right to say that i find it uncomfortable and would never use the term myself.

Just because you have lived somewhere longer than someone else this doesn't make their opioninons any less valid than yours.

I was expressing something that i find uncomfortable to me. I have no problem with being called a pom though and do not need to lighten up I was just stating something i feel.

Oh and i hate the word "dayboo" insted of debut, sounds stupid

Last edited by hevs; Mar 31st 2005 at 12:51 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:02 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A question ... If the Italian, Greeks etc use the word Wog, to publicly describe themselves, including creating films, and theatre, using the name in the title etc. then surely it is without malice in those situations.

Obviously if it is said with malice then it can be taken as it is intended.

Australia and England have different meanings on the word WOG itself, let alone its interpretation.
As JulesandChris said, WOG = Western Oriental Gentlemen, and that's how I always thought of it, but then I came here and was well and truly confused, as it actually describes the Greeks & Italians etc I personally don't like the word, but "wog" friends that I had used the term a lot.

With the term Paki, in the UK we have our own meaning for it, and it's not nice, but here it seems to be just a shortened version of Pakistani, in the same way Aussie to Australian, Brit to British, etc etc.
Obviously it does depend on who says it, and with a new migrant from the UK who says it in a degrading way it would tend to be an insult. I still don't like or use the word myself, because of my upbringing and the way I always think of the word.

But... This is a different country, and if the these words mean something other than what the British are used to, then WE must get used to it, and not turn it into something else, as ozzieeagle was saying.
I have an Italian friend ( born here in Aus to Italian parents), bloke who works with me - and he will tell you he absoultely hates the word Wog!. Actually try calling him a Wog and see what you will get . His words "stupid Aussie W*nkers can't they get anything right" ( and he is an Aussie, born and bred here but to two Italian parents) for a start a wog is a black man in Europe terms, it is only the aussies who can't get it straight. A lot of Greeks and Italians are actually offended by this word, not all of them here like it, or use it, like that stupid actor "Wog boy"

As for Paki - no it's not the same as Aussie. If Paki is acceptable here ( which it is to white Aussies - have they asked the Pakistanis if they find it accepatable to them?) to Australians why is Abo not?? - after all abo is a shortened term for Aborigine. like Paki is for Pakistani - one rule for some here another rule for others.

None of these terms I use - Paki is derogative, always has been, so is wog, so is Abo. Even on Cricket matches here in Aus the white Aussie commentators will use the term Paki. Perhaps they would like to ask the people in question and not other white Aussies. And for the Life of me I can not understand it is acceptable for them to shorten Pakistani when it isn't acceptable to shorten the Aborigine word in this country. One rule for one, another rule for others.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 31st 2005 at 1:27 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:25 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

apparently, it always used to be called 'manchester' in the uk too, many many years ago

Originally Posted by Un-Co
You really are a fountain of information ABCDiamond!!! Noone else has been able to tell me that before and I've been here nearly 3 years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.