Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozhappy's House-build with APG

Ozhappy's House-build with APG

Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ozhappy's House-build with APG

Well, for some time I’ve been dithering as to whether to do a thread of our house-build, thinking nobody will be interested. But recently a few people wrote how they enjoy reading these threads. And I certainly enjoyed other people’s threads prior to us coming out to Australia. So, here goes ….

We are building in Perth, northern suburbsz. We looked at land in December 2007, made an offer on a block in January 2008. Land already had title and settled early February 2008. We then spent a few months in shock Oh my God, what have we done. We know nothing about building! Looked at loads and loads of display homes. Trawled builder’s websites and their plans.

A few things crystallised in our minds: We wanted an upstairs bedroom and retreat for us. And we wanted a design where the kitchen was NOT directly in the living room. And we couldn’t afford to instruct an architect and builder. We’d have to go with a project builder and adapt one of their designs.

More looking at house plans. We couldn’t find one that matched what we wanted. But we made a short list of plans that “had potential”. Looked at more show houses and interviewed sales agents.

We then struck gold with the sales agent for an APG house. He saw no reason why we couldn’t change everything, as long as we kept the shape of the slab. And we wanted European-style double-glazing (from our chosen supplier), cavity wall insulation, R6.0 ceiling insulation, solar hot water (our supplier), a rainwater tank (our supplier). “No problem”, he said. (We found out much later that our changes caused him enormous problems with head office, but he stuck to his guns and we got everything we wanted.)

Once the above “extras” had been agreed in writing, we signed up with them at the end of July 2008. For some reason that has never been explained to us, getting the contract documentation took until just before Christmas! I really am clueless why it took so long; we made no changes, just sat and waited and waited and waited some more (got told it was out of their control – but no idea “why”).

Contracts finally arrived just before Christmas. Pre-start meeting was booked for end of January 2009.

In February 2009 the pool shell was dug (Aquability Pools – Scossie is a BE member).

In early March, the building licence for the house arrived. Beginning of April the site was pegged and on 18 April the slab was poured. Now it’s the 3rd week of the brickies on site and the walls are going up.

Over the intervening months we had lots of problems. Nerves of steel are needed for this house-building lark – and in the absence of those I had a few sleepless nights. Maybe I’ll write about that some other time.

Below are some photos:
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozhappy's House-build with APG

Here are the standard plans of the builder (pdf) and our changed version (jpegs). You can see I wasn't kidding when I said we've changed everything
Attached Thumbnails Ozhappy's House-build with APG-ground-floor.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-upper-floor.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
drysdale-floorplan.pdf (684.6 KB, 137 views)
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Our block in January 2008 before the developer put the back fence up. The Indian Ocean is 800m from our back fence.

1st pic is from the street. 2nd pic half-way down our block.
Attached Thumbnails Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg0978_cimg0978.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg0983_cimg0983.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

The digger turns up for the pool. And a few weeks later the concrete shell was put in.
Attached Thumbnails Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1763_cimg1763.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1853_cimg1853.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Early April 2009 the site was pegged. From left to right is bed 2, study, porch, laundry.

Because the garage doesn't get a slab, the finished house will come forward left to right rather than go backwards (see the plans).

Then the porta-potty arrived! According to the building licence, construction work cannot be started until this convenience has been installed - therefore a major milestone

And then the soakwells arrived.
Attached Thumbnails Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1962_cimg1962.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1967_cimg1967.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1986_cimg1986.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

We have a slab.

Slab gets its termite treatment (at least I think that's what it is). This pic was taken from roughly the same position as the one when the slab was pegged.

And the slab gets loaded for the brickie.
Attached Thumbnails Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1977_cimg1977.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1991_cimg1991.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg1993_cimg1993.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Two weeks ago, we had some heavy rains and storms. Our plastic potty fell over and the site supervisor requested this sturdier version .

The brickies make a start.

Theatre room with cavitiy wall insulation sticking out

This morning we had a site meeting and the brickies have done loads more. Tomorrow I'll take some more photos when they've gone home.
Attached Thumbnails Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg2013_cimg2013.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg2004_cimg2004.jpg   Ozhappy's House-build with APG-100-cimg2021_cimg2021.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Looks great! You will have fantastic sea views from there!

Your much more informative than me! You can tell I have no idea what I'm doing!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Looks great! You will have fantastic sea views from there!

Your much more informative than me! You can tell I have no idea what I'm doing!!
Thanks for replying! There is land between us and the sea that will eventually get built on. But it is 2.7m lower than our block and we raised our slab by 4 courses. We are keeping fingers and toes crossed that we'll keep the view from upstairs (we have a sea-facing balcony).

Last edited by ozhappy981; Jun 4th 2009 at 9:56 am.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You were being overmodest in saying that no-one would be interested!

(Grand Designs is one of the UK's best selling TV series internationally - most people have a great deal of interest in how others build and their various designs.)

Keep the photos coming - and thanks for reducing them <g>.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Keep the photos coming - and thanks for reducing them <g>.
Thanks for replying, Wol. Yes, I think it was you who put me on to "PixResizer" months and months ago. Really useful utility.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:01 am
Recession Surfing 2006 -&amp;gt;

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I like your design oz and the block is lovely, I really liked the idea of the upstairs retreat. The wife reckons you would not hear the kids ...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

So far so good.keep them coming.You seem to know what you are talking about.Some of us can only dream.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - lovely house and views!! I am envious
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:46 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Thanks for replying, Wol. Yes, I think it was you who put me on to "PixResizer" months and months ago. Really useful utility.
No, someone else - I use Oscar's JPEG Thumbmaker - but PixResiser looks good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.