Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:53 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all
Default Re: Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Originally Posted by Wol
Be aware that many banks only allow a small transfer each day from the UK account - it could mean transferring a few thousand a day for months!
We did a CHAP's transfer to avoid that problem. Before we left the UK we got my dad to be an authorised signatory on our account so he went into our bank yesterday and organised it. I e-mailed him all the details; the CHAP's transfer cost £30.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
One thing people should consider is whether Ozforex is giving you the best rate. I assumed they would be better than the UK bank and we opened an account, however when we came to transfer the proceeds of a house sale and asked both the bank and Ozforex what rate they would give us the bank was considerably better... just something to bear in mind, don't always assume Ozforex or HiFX will be better..

Cheers

Chris
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:49 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Be aware that many banks only allow a small transfer each day from the UK account - it could mean transferring a few thousand a day for months!
I thought I'd give some examples of the above:

NatWest Current Account: Only allow you to transfer up to £10,000 out of your account per day. [You'll do the maths how many days it'll take you to transfer your life savings.]

Nationwide FlexAccount: Allow you to transfer up to £10,000 per transaction. You can have as many transactions per day as you like (and that includes as many transactions to the same person - they mention that specifically).

Halifax Variable Websaver Account: You can transfer up to £2 million per day (but they reserve the right to stop you in your tracks if they suspect criminal activity or if the amount transferred out interferes with their business activities).

Nationwide are the only one of the above who actually explain this on their web site. The other two don't mention it - not even in the terms and conditions for the account .

As someone else has said, some accounts allow you to do a CHAPS transfer. But you need to be in the UK to make that happen or have someone as an authorised signatory on the account who can then make that happen while you're in Oz. (If your account is entirely web-based, i.e. the only way to get money in or out is via internet banking, then you usually can't do a CHAPS transfer.)

Gina
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

boyz119 will become famous soon enoughboyz119 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GinaUK

NatWest Current Account: Only allow you to transfer up to £10,000 out of your account per day. [You'll do the maths how many days it'll take you to transfer your life savings.]

Nationwide FlexAccount: Allow you to transfer up to £10,000 per transaction. You can have as many transactions per day as you like (and that includes as many transactions to the same person - they mention that specifically).

Halifax Variable Websaver Account: You can transfer up to £2 million per day (but they reserve the right to stop you in your tracks if they suspect criminal activity or if the amount transferred out interferes with their business activities).

Nationwide are the only one of the above who actually explain this on their web site. The other two don't mention it - not even in the terms and conditions for the account .

As someone else has said, some accounts allow you to do a CHAPS transfer. But you need to be in the UK to make that happen or have someone as an authorised signatory on the account who can then make that happen while you're in Oz. (If your account is entirely web-based, i.e. the only way to get money in or out is via internet banking, then you usually can't do a CHAPS transfer.)

Gina
Morning folks,

We have a Cahoot account which is totally online. I have confirmed with them that we will be able to organise a transfer whilst in Oz. Apparently no problem (although still in the UK and haven't actually tried this as yet). We are able to do this in one of two ways, ie online via BACS (no cost, but will take 4-5 working days to transfer) or via CHAPS, (same day transfer, cost £25, slight problem you have to phone them direct between 9am and 11am to organise a CHAPS and get a same day transfer).

Also no monetary limits to the transfers.

Last edited by boyz119; Jun 19th 2007 at 8:04 am. Reason: Add details
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thats really interesting reading and definately something to bear in mind when the time comes for us to transfer money.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:09 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Halifax and able to do a chaps transfer without being in the UK [up to 50,000 pounds, and they had to be notified by 2pm so the transfer would be made to the other account by 5pm on the same day] online with Halifax you can do a transfer of 15,000 pounds per day free of charge, but it takes 3-4 days for the money to reach the other account. My BF is with NatWest and able to do a chaps transfer also, but had to send a letter confirming it first.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
First direct allow you to transfer as much money with as many nougts on as you want when you want to what ever account you want by telephone.. and they gave a better rate than Ozforex..