Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA driver's licence?

WA driver's licence?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:24 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default WA driver's licence?

Just had a look at http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/ to see what we have to bring with us to the licencing centre to get our Oz driving licence.

As far as I can see, it doesn't mention anything about bringing passport photos with you when you apply. Is there no photo on a WA driving licence? Or do they take their own photos?

If anyone has done this recently in Perth, can they please enlighten me. Thanks.

Gina
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:04 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA driver's licence?

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Just had a look at http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/ to see what we have to bring with us to the licencing centre to get our Oz driving licence.

As far as I can see, it doesn't mention anything about bringing passport photos with you when you apply. Is there no photo on a WA driving licence? Or do they take their own photos?

If anyone has done this recently in Perth, can they please enlighten me. Thanks.

Gina
They take one there on the spot.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:18 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
They take one there on the spot.
Yep. Don't forget to take your UK licence and also proof of Aussie address (we did) or you will have to go back for it. Someone suggested a while back waiting until you get a fixed address but the licence is such a good proof of id it is invaluable so get it straight away.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:47 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
Yep. Don't forget to take your UK licence and also proof of Aussie address (we did) or you will have to go back for it. Someone suggested a while back waiting until you get a fixed address but the licence is such a good proof of id it is invaluable so get it straight away.
Definitely agree about waiting to get a fixed address, even wait until you buy if possible (although I know you can only wait 3 months). When got our WA licences we were renting but moved a couple of months later. You have your address on the front of the licence and when you change to a new address you don't get a new card, they send a sticker with your new address which goes on the back of your card. So you're stuck with your old address on the front of your card for 10 years.

Not really a problem but funnily enough when buying medicine at the chemist yesterday I had to show ID which they wrote down including my old address and I had to point out the new address on the back.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:53 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Yeah. That's why I looked on their website to make sure we bring everything they want to see (don't fancy going back for more docs).

And like you say, we plan to get it on our first day after arrival so we then have it as proof of id. Not worried about getting a sticker with new address later.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Gina
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Yeah. That's why I looked on their website to make sure we bring everything they want to see (don't fancy going back for more docs).

And like you say, we plan to get it on our first day after arrival so we then have it as proof of id. Not worried about getting a sticker with new address later.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Gina
The have this "100 point" thing for credit ratings etc. Drivers licence and passport get you most of the way there I think.