Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:04 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Having set up our Oz bank accounts we're getting closer to transferring our money across.

I've now read the "client agreements" of both Ozforex and HiFX and discovered one important difference between the two (well, important to me anyway).

Ozforex's small print says they don't hold "client funds on trust or in segregated accounts". HiFX however *do* hold client monies in their client trust bank account which is seperately identifiable from HiFX's own funds. This means that our funds are held separately from company funds, protecting them from creditors.

What this means is that if Ozforex were to go bust, we would just be one in a possibly long line of creditors amd may lose all our money they are holding at the time. If HiFX were to go bust, we would get all our money back.

Ozforex would probably say there is no chance of them ever going bust. But we are in our 40s and transferring our life savings. However small/unlikely the risk - we can't risk it.

So, we'll go for HiFX for the "big" transfer and with Ozforex (tranzfers) for the little ones. (HiFX don't do little transfers.)

If you think I am being over cautious that's fine, but someone may find the above helpful.

Gina
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Having set up our Oz bank accounts we're getting closer to transferring our money across.

I've now read the "client agreements" of both Ozforex and HiFX and discovered one important difference between the two (well, important to me anyway).

Ozforex's small print says they don't hold "client funds on trust or in segregated accounts". HiFX however *do* hold client monies in their client trust bank account which is seperately identifiable from HiFX's own funds. This means that our funds are held separately from company funds, protecting them from creditors.

What this means is that if Ozforex were to go bust, we would just be one in a possibly long line of creditors amd may lose all our money they are holding at the time. If HiFX were to go bust, we would get all our money back.

Ozforex would probably say there is no chance of them ever going bust. But we are in our 40s and transferring our life savings. However small/unlikely the risk - we can't risk it.

So, we'll go for HiFX for the "big" transfer and with Ozforex (tranzfers) for the little ones. (HiFX don't do little transfers.)

If you think I am being over cautious that's fine, but someone may find the above helpful.

Gina
Well spotted and noted, cheers

Dave
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:27 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

After the christmas hamper saga on the news, this is very useful info due to the amounts people transfer. Good thinking, really useful!
J x
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Famous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to allFamous Five is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
After the christmas hamper saga on the news, this is very useful info due to the amounts people transfer. Good thinking, really useful!
J x
Very Very useful advice. Thanks for that.
You never know in this day and age.

Its takes a lifetime to save your hard earned cash but only a moment to loose it. How any times do we hear these sort of stories with large multi nationals going bust and innocent people loosing their life savings????
Heart breaking.

FF.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:26 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Gina
Hmm... OZForex have an account on here so it will be interesting to see what they have to say... I thought that they were a licensed deposit taker and that there's some sort of guarantee (BoE?) that goes with that...? No doubt we'll find out later on...
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:00 pm

mgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rodders39
Hmm... OZForex have an account on here so it will be interesting to see what they have to say... I thought that they were a licensed deposit taker and that there's some sort of guarantee (BoE?) that goes with that...? No doubt we'll find out later on...

Naturally we are keen to respond and highlight the safety of using OzForex. The comments below with repect to the UK are general in nature.

:: Regulation:

Australia is fully regulated for foregn exchange where the UK is not. In the UK absolutely anybody can open a forex business without any financial regulatory oversight.

The UK has the FSA which is equivalent to ASIC in Australia. As far as I know none of brokers in the UK are regulated by the FSA. The HMRC in the UK (which UK operators must register with) only checks money laundering compliance and does not police financial security, training, insurance, etc.

ASIC in Australia requires that we meet minimum captial requirements like a bank, requires that we submit audited financials, ensure staff undergo significant and ongoing training among many other requirements. It's extremely onerous to comply with which is why there are very few independent forex providers in Australia, where in the UK there are literally 100s.

So if you choose a UK provider they are not regulated (except for money laundering), if you choose an Australian provider they are fully regulated. If a UK provider has an Australian office, that office may be regulated but the parent company is probably not.

:: Insurance:

OzForex carries very high levels of insurance for "Professional Indemnity" and "Crime". This protects our company (and your funds) against fraud and many other risks. This is not required in the UK (because its not regulated) but is required in Australia.

:: Ownership:

There will be announcement later today about OzForex that will make even the most cautious BE member feel OzForex is by far the safest of non-bank providers. I will post a part two to this response ASAP.

I know HIFX to be reputable so I am not saying they are unsafe, I am just saying we are safe as well even though the businesses run in different regulatory environments. Thanks for listening and happy to respond to any questions.

Kind regards,
Matt Gilmour
Managing Director

Last edited by mgilmour; Jun 14th 2007 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I have found OzForex and Tranzfers to be very proactive and helpful: I use them each month to bring my pension across.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A number of years ago, an FX broker company (Exchange Direct plc) went bust and although they had client accounts, it transpired that these accounts had been emptied (fraudulently) to support the operating business. I don't know if those who lost their funds in transit ever got their money back.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:19 am
Banned

maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
FWIW I have found OzForex and Tranzfers to be very proactive and helpful: I use them each month to bring my pension across.
I too have found ozforex to be better than hifx. In my experience ozforex give a better rate. Also I have had problems with hifx trying to recover bank charges imposed by Australian banks on hifx transfers.

Rgds
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:24 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxim
I too have found ozforex to be better than hifx. In my experience ozforex give a better rate. Also I have had problems with hifx trying to recover bank charges imposed by Australian banks on hifx transfers.

Rgds
Ozforex seem to be only interested in those based in the UK. Even though I have a large amount of money to transfer, they have not got back to me both times I have set up accounts : (
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:55 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

When I set up my Ozforex account I got a reminder email from HIFX the next day asking if I wanted to remain on their list.

Just a pure coincidence.

Or very suspicious...
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:20 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

i have to say

that i have had no problems transfering 2 large amounts (well large to us) with Ozforex

I have found them to be helpful in both the UK and since being here in Oz!

I would recommend them everytime,
I have heard a few stories regarding HIFX, but then i suppose there are stories regarding Ozforex as well

I can only speak from personal experience and thier customer service is one of the best that i have ever had to deal with
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Eltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alan and sam
i have to say

that i have had no problems transfering 2 large amounts (well large to us) with Ozforex

I have found them to be helpful in both the UK and since being here in Oz!

I would recommend them everytime,
I have heard a few stories regarding HIFX, but then i suppose there are stories regarding Ozforex as well

I can only speak from personal experience and thier customer service is one of the best that i have ever had to deal with
Yes, thumbs up from us too for Ozforex, we have done three transfers and had 100% excellent service every time.

Just wish the B****y rate would go :curse:up so that we can use them again
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:22 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

I've used both. Both were just as helpful and had similar rates, but i switched from HiFX to OzForex as even though I did all the laundering checks in the UK I had to repeat them all again once i had migrated to Oz. Annoyed me in having to do that, and as a result perfect excuse to switch and try OzForex.

After using both, I find OzForex alot simpler to use online and trade, but it does lack a bit of personal touch that HiFX has in their not-so automated systems. Personally i prefer Ozforex.

Both unfortunately cant/wont give advice or at least give a speculative opinion as to where rates are possibly going with the forcasted news on the horizon. They all refer you to charts which we all know are historical and no indication of what will happen. A little more off the cuff "information" would be nice - and yes put some clause that we wont sue you for getting it wrong....!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mgilmour
Naturally we are keen to respond and highlight the safety of using OzForex. The comments below with repect to the UK are general in nature.

:: Regulation:

Australia is fully regulated for foregn exchange where the UK is not. In the UK absolutely anybody can open a forex business without any financial regulatory oversight.

The UK has the FSA which is equivalent to ASIC in Australia. As far as I know none of brokers in the UK are regulated by the FSA. The HMRC in the UK (which UK operators must register with) only checks money laundering compliance and does not police financial security, training, insurance, etc.

ASIC in Australia requires that we meet minimum captial requirements like a bank, requires that we submit audited financials, ensure staff undergo significant and ongoing training among many other requirements. It's extremely onerous to comply with which is why there are very few independent forex providers in Australia, where in the UK there are literally 100s.

So if you choose a UK provider they are not regulated (except for money laundering), if you choose an Australian provider they are fully regulated. If a UK provider has an Australian office, that office may be regulated but the parent company is probably not.

:: Insurance:

OzForex carries very high levels of insurance for "Professional Indemnity" and "Crime". This protects our company (and your funds) against fraud and many other risks. This is not required in the UK (because its not regulated) but is required in Australia.

:: Ownership:

There will be announcement later today about OzForex that will make even the most cautious BE member feel OzForex is by far the safest of non-bank providers. I will post a part two to this response ASAP.

I know HIFX to be reputable so I am not saying they are unsafe, I am just saying we are safe as well even though the businesses run in different regulatory environments. Thanks for listening and happy to respond to any questions.

Kind regards,
Matt Gilmour
Managing Director
Hi all,

I used Hifx on my way out to Oz and had no problems. We are now using Ozforex as we are back in the UK and I have done a number of transfers with them now in the last few months to and from Oz and they have been brilliant. Even when I accidently transferred $20k to them because I was testing my bank account and didn't think it would allow me to transfer that much and it did, I just rang up and they sent it straight back! Just wanted to put in a good word.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.