Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-UK, Oz backward, Canada

Wikiposts

Oz-UK, Oz backward, Canada

Old Aug 25th 2003, 3:30 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
Ginkgo Biloba is sometimes described as a "living fossil". What does that mean?
A timely discovery by you here Megalunia. When used with the correct dosage, and with awareness of the possible side effects, Ginkgo will provide you an excellent supplement to your Salvia Divinorum intake.

All the best,
A well intentioned Chippy.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:29 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent most of my life in Canada (upto the age of 21) and have lived in the UK for 10 years now. Travelled around Australia for a year and am now in the long winded process of immigrating to Australia. Why when I could easily go back to Canada? I hear you ask.

Well, for starters, Canada is FAR TOO CLOSE to the States for me. Also, Canada is COLD and has lots of SNOW - 2 things which I really, REALLY hate. So, Australia, for me, has much, much more appeal. There is NO SNOW in Queensland.

I do think the two countries are very much the same though. They are both kinda new (to the white man anyways) and laid out very much the same. The attitudes of the people are very much the same (laid back, friendly), their attitudes towards their natives are pretty much the same (which is pretty dire from what I've read) and they are both multi-cultural countries (except out in the sticks/boonies where the majority of people are still WASPs).

I'm not really into politics so can't comment too much on the politics of each country but they are both part of the Commonwealth and both countries seem to have *almost* a 50-50 divide on wanting to seperate from Mother England.

Both countries (like so many in the "Western World") are becomming very Americanised which is troubling. Canada is just that much closer and gets more of it's TV and adverts.

But the main reason for me moving to Australia and not back to Canada is mainly because of the lack of SNOW in Qld!!! HAHA

V
Old Aug 26th 2003, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
electric sockets near the sink.... I don't know why they put them there but they do. when we were designing our home we moved them on the plan The original plan had a socket by the sink).. we moved one to the far wall away from the sink, and the light switch to the outside of the bathroom. In Britain having a normal light switch (without the cable/ceiling pull ones) on the inside of a bathroom is illegal. The sparky who wired up our house kept asking why do you want the lightswitch on the outside wall.. we had to explain to him because electric and water ... bang!..

cheers

This is clearly a Brit thing, the safety aspect of bathrooms and electricity! Here in Florida I have become so used to electrical sockets next to the sink I never think about it and, in fact, have used my hairdryer over the sink due to lack of a dressing table! Luckily I lived to tell the tale!

Wannabe Wallaby