Oz+nz

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Oz+nz

Recently my agent told me under my Oz visa i will be eligible to live in both NZ and Oz after my first 2 years are up, i'm being sponsered by the state of Victoria so i have remain a residant there for 2 years.
Surley this is too good to be true, can she be right, by the way i do have faith in my agent it's just i would like to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure others with more experience will answer this eventually mate!
As far as I'm aware, what you say is correct, you can go to NZ if you have an Oz visa. You can then either stay there for good and get your NZ citizenship or return to OZ before the 5 year visa expires.
You can't do it the other way round i.e. get into NZ then go to OZ on your visa.
This is relevant to me as I've applied to OZ (skilled sponsored designated area) but am thinking about NZ as well.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:33 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

As far as I am aware you can work in NZ once you gain PR for OZ. However, this only entitles you to a work permit to start with - you'd have to go down the usual channels to gain PR - i.e points score inc relevant job offer, otherwise there would be a time limit on the work visa. I believe NZ residents can also do this for OZ, again for a long stay there would need to be a PR qualification process or you'd have to return to the original country once the visa was up.

Rich.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
As far as I am aware you can work in NZ once you gain PR for OZ. However, this only entitles you to a work permit to start with - you'd have to go down the usual channels to gain PR - i.e points score inc relevant job offer, otherwise there would be a time limit on the work visa. I believe NZ residents can also do this for OZ, again for a long stay there would need to be a PR qualification process or you'd have to return to the original country once the visa was up.

Rich.
No, the aussies have got it easy! Once you hold Oz PR you can live/work indefinately in NZ without even applying for PR. It's not so easy the other way round, as Cadman says.

There is, however, a stumbling block. It states on the NZIS site that -
"Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents must be of good character."

This is obviously a 'get out' clause thus making it virtually impossible!

Gra..
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers Gra, that's exactly what I wanted to hear (and had suspected) !

I see you've opted for NZ, my I ask why?

Originally posted by Gra.B
No, the aussies have got it easy! Once you hold Oz PR you can live/work indefinately in NZ without even applying for PR. It's not so easy the other way round, as Cadman says.

There is, however, a stumbling block. It states on the NZIS site that -
"Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents must be of good character."

This is obviously a 'get out' clause thus making it virtually impossible!

Gra..
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz+nz

Thanks for the reply guys thats a big help.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cadman
I see you've opted for NZ, my I ask why?
Hi,
My wife has family there & none here. That's it really! I doubt I'd have given it any thought otherwise. Having said that I'm probably more excited than she is!

Gra..