Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Supermarkets & Cake / Coffee type shops

Oz Supermarkets & Cake / Coffee type shops

Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz Supermarkets & Cake / Coffee type shops

any one know why Oz supermarkets & butchers pile the meat so high?

they seem to pile anything they sell as high as they can get it, eg bacon over a foot & 1/2 high, same with the chicken, then it starts to dry out, but no one seems to be bothered by it.

they also have the same person serve cooked meats, raw chicken, fish cheese etc. bit that hacks me off is if you ask for raw chicken then ham and they dont change their gloves, i have had to ask a few to change their gloves when going from raw chicken to cooked meat.

same with the cakes as the end of the day they cover them up ready for sale the next day, i used to buy some hard crispy cakes then one day they were soft, then i found out that they were not day fresh, just bought in and displayed until sold, which seems to be the norm here.

another stange thing, it may say offer $0.99 each or two for $2 if paying by card cost's $0.02 more, normally if you buy more its cheaper i thought.

James
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Supermarkets & Cake / Coffee type shops

I hardly ever buy anything from the deli in the supermarket but the one near us does not touch the food they use gloves and different tongs.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

yes ive noticed that too,and unless you remember to ask for them seperate they also pack the raw meat and cooked meats together at the supermarket in the same bag and more often than not the blood from the meat has leaked out.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:51 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet
any one know why Oz supermarkets & butchers pile the meat so high?

they seem to pile anything they sell as high as they can get it, eg bacon over a foot & 1/2 high, same with the chicken, then it starts to dry out, but no one seems to be bothered by it.

they also have the same person serve cooked meats, raw chicken, fish cheese etc. bit that hacks me off is if you ask for raw chicken then ham and they dont change their gloves, i have had to ask a few to change their gloves when going from raw chicken to cooked meat.

same with the cakes as the end of the day they cover them up ready for sale the next day, i used to buy some hard crispy cakes then one day they were soft, then i found out that they were not day fresh, just bought in and displayed until sold, which seems to be the norm here.

another stange thing, it may say offer $0.99 each or two for $2 if paying by card cost's $0.02 more, normally if you buy more its cheaper i thought.

James
If paying by cash you would still end up paying a dollar each or 2 dollars for 2 as they would round the amount up. Just they way they do it in Australia. They don't have 1 or 2 cent coins in OZ.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
I hardly ever buy anything from the deli in the supermarket but the one near us does not touch the food they use gloves and different tongs.
The one that The Bloke uses (I refuse to eat the stuff from it) has the glass doors oipen all the time. Last year the glass on the front was broken for months, held together with a bit of tape and you could see the flies finding their way in.
The cooked meat is always so slimey too, its disgusting. I'll only buy the prepacked stuff over here, I can't face the deli cuts.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The one that The Bloke uses (I refuse to eat the stuff from it) has the glass doors oipen all the time. Last year the glass on the front was broken for months, held together with a bit of tape and you could see the flies finding their way in.
The cooked meat is always so slimey too, its disgusting. I'll only buy the prepacked stuff over here, I can't face the deli cuts.
Yes, there always seems to be lots of flies over everything
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BAY
If paying by cash you would still end up paying a dollar each or 2 dollars for 2 as they would round the amount up. Just they way they do it in Australia. They don't have 1 or 2 cent coins in OZ.
My point was if you are paying by Card, there is no rounding, the price you see is the price you pay, thus all those 2cents to the shop will add up to a good sum over the year.

Cakes here also seem to cost the earth.

James
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet
My point was if you are paying by Card, there is no rounding, the price you see is the price you pay, thus all those 2cents to the shop will add up to a good sum over the year.

Cakes here also seem to cost the earth.

James
may i suggest you buy your meat from an independant butcher (my local one is very good, hygenic etc etc), your cold meat from a small independant supermarket or deli (our IGA cuts the meat for you, rather than from a pre cut pile) and cakes from a local, reputable bakery. Also, get your fish from the seafood place and fruit and vege from farmers markets or direct form the grower

Supermarket fresh stuff is usually crap.