Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz public being ripped off for flights

Oz public being ripped off for flights

Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:13 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz public being ripped off for flights

Originally Posted by martin1978
I am currently searching for a return flight back to the UK in June. Other than Cathay pacific who are about $1500 return all the rest of the major airlines are over $2000. However when you compare the exact same flights from the british end ie. lon-syd return they are coming up less than £550($1200ish). Why is this and how is it fair that we are subsidising brits travelling here for holidays.
Maybe cos the UK taxes are higher than the OZ taxes
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:30 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Maybe cos the UK taxes are higher than the OZ taxes
If each major airline charges about the same for the same departure point then the departure point with the highest fare would have the highest charges (or taxes). No?

Comparing BA & QA, both charge the about same for the same route but if the first departure point is Sydney then both BA & QA's fares are about $500 higher (at low season for both). That suggests that charges are higher at Sydney or the airlines are both subsidized at London. No?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:48 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
If each major airline charges about the same for the same departure point then the departure point with the highest fare would have the highest charges (or taxes). No?

Comparing BA & QA, both charge the about same for the same route but if the first departure point is Sydney then both BA & QA's fares are about $500 higher (at low season for both). That suggests that charges are higher at Sydney or the airlines are both subsidized at London. No?
Is this relevant?:

UK Taxpayers are effectively subsidising airlines to the tune of £300 per person every year

Revealed: airlines' £10bn government fuel subsidy

UK wanting to raising fuel levy rather than applying excise and VAT?:
US threatens Britain with legal action over airline taxes

Last edited by WillBlack; Apr 24th 2009 at 7:26 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Am I the only person to think that the prevailing exchange rate has more to
do with such discrepancies than charging policy.
Depends which rate you use...and/or when you use it.
I wonder what the difference would be between when you got 1.8 dollars
to the pound and when you got 2.6 dollars to the pound....I can't be bothered
to work it out...just finished night shift....
HKA
x
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Smaller market here, less competition because the Government subsidise QANTAS and have a tighter control as to who can fly into which airport and when. Added to that they don't actually care a great deal about the customers . Not sure about the subsidising Brits (not just British people coming here for holidays), more a case of fleecing the locals.
The above quote applies to every type of shop or store here!

Customer service ends right after.. g,day can I help you?....

Complaining on the the phone to Harvey Norman- furniture department.
"you said delivery would be 6 - 8 weeks..its now 13 weeks....etc,."

Responce from the "manager"... "Sorry about that mate... hope its not as bad for you as the guy who got his stuff delivered yerday 16 weeks after order!

I kid you not.... reason for delays.. the franchise holder packed it in and left....the staff did not know how safe their jobs were and did'nt give a toss about "our " problems!

But the petrol is cheaper - Tuesday and Wednesday!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Am I the only person to think that the prevailing exchange rate has more to
do with such discrepancies than charging policy.
Depends which rate you use...and/or when you use it.
I wonder what the difference would be between when you got 1.8 dollars
to the pound and when you got 2.6 dollars to the pound....I can't be bothered
to work it out...just finished night shift....
HKA
x
Both BA and QA flights (itineries) first departing from Sydney (or anywhere in Aus) are charged in $A.

Both BA and QA flights first departing from London are charged in £UK.

The exchange rate is currently $A2.03 / £UK1.00.

The price of each airline's equivalent flights is about the same. $A1,500 (£UK740) from London. $A2,000 (£UK985) from Sydney. (october low season)

The price of both BA and QA flights is lower for first departures from London by $A500.

Q: If the difference in fares is entirely due to exchange rate movements, what would the exchange rate have to be to make the fares equal?
A: 2.03 * (2,000 / 1,500) = $A2.707 / £UK1.00

The last time the exchange rate was about $A2.7 / £UK1.00 was briefly in 2008/October. £UK Exchange rate history

I do think slowness to adjust fares to exchange rate changes explain some of the difference but not all.

Last edited by WillBlack; Apr 24th 2009 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:43 pm
Banned

I do think slowness to adjust fares to exchange rate changes explain some of the difference but not all.
About $A1,500 Sydney-London return:
Cheap Flights (Aus)

About £UK500 from London-Sydney return:
Cheap Flights (UK)

First departing from London appears to be cheaper by about the same $500 even comparing the cheapest fares from London to the cheapest fares from Sydney.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It's really a simple case of the price matching what the local market is prepared to pay, hence also the reason the 'same' flight departing on 18th December is a heck of a lot more expensive than one departing on say, 18th October for exactly the same product.

Point in case the buying frenzy on here for the recent Singapore Airlines $1400 fares. If at the same time the flights were nearly £700 ex London there wouldn't be nearly so much demand for them.

Does a loaf of bread cost the same in the UK and Aus? A litre of milk? Petrol? A Ford Focus? No....why should flights be any different?

Last edited by bcworld; Apr 24th 2009 at 9:58 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's really a simple case of the price matching what the local market is prepared to pay, hence also the reason the 'same' flight departing on 18th December is a heck of a lot more expensive than one departing on say, 18th October for exactly the same product.

Point in case the buying frenzy on here for the recent Singapore Airlines $1400 fares. If at the same time the flights were nearly £700 ex London there wouldn't be nearly so much demand for them.

Does a loaf of bread cost the same in the UK and Aus? A litre of milk? Petrol? A Ford Focus? No....why should flights be any different?
Have you succeeded in buying a ticket at UK prices in £'s from Aus? More particularly one where you depart Aus before departing the UK? I don't think they will sell you one. Can you buy a one-way ticket with in the UK with £s from Aus departing from Aus while in Aus?

That is how flights are different to a litre of milk; you could order a litre of milk from the UK, pay for it with £ from an Aus card and have it delivered in Aus. Not so flights, I believe.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The discussion on why aussies get ripped off on airfares goes waaaay back.

Uk is more competitive on pricing on many things.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:19 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Have you succeeded in buying a ticket at UK prices in £'s from Aus? More particularly one where you depart Aus before departing the UK? I don't think they will sell you one. Can you buy a one-way ticket with in the UK with £s from Aus departing from Aus while in Aus?

That is how flights are different to a litre of milk; you could order a litre of milk from the UK, pay for it with £ from an Aus card and have it delivered in Aus. Not so flights, I believe.
Can you buy a loaf of bread, litre of milk or petrol or Ford Focus in Australia with pounds? No. Why would they be priced in pounds?

A travel agent or airline reservations in the UK can sell you a ticket Aus - UK - Aus and that will be charged to your credit card in Australian dollars - I can't see the problem with that.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

Can you buy a loaf of bread, litre of milk or petrol or Ford Focus in Australia with pounds? No. Why would they be priced in pounds?
I think you passed over the important point that one can order books, as an example, from the UK, pay in pounds using an Aus card (the currency exchange being "automated") and have them delivered to Aus. Best I know, purchase of airline tickets from the UK by a person in Aus is "resisted".

Have you ordered airline tickets from the UK and had them delivered to Aus and successfully used them? Electronic ticket delivery would seem to make this easy.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

I think you passed over the important point that one can order books, as an example, from the UK, pay in pounds using an Aus card (the currency exchange being "automated") and have them delivered to Aus. Best I know, purchase of airline tickets from the UK by a person in Aus is "resisted".
It's not resisted at all. You can happily call up Trailfinders in the UK and ask them to book you Aus-UK-Aus - they'll have no problem. However you'll pay the price for airfares departing Australia (the Australian market) - if that's what you want to book. The airfares for each market are set such that the airline optimises the number of seats sold in each market, and provides the best availability for people in each market along the way. Therefore you buy the tickets according to the market in which you originate.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The discussion on why aussies get ripped off on airfares goes waaaay back.

Uk is more competitive on pricing on many things.
Yes it is cheaper but is it cheaper merely because it is more competitive or are the UK taxpayers subsidizing the airlines (by £10 billion or £166 per capita each year) through exempting the airlines of fuel excise and VAT as reported above?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:53 pm
Banned

It's not resisted at all. You can happily call up Trailfinders in the UK and ask them to book you Aus-UK-Aus - they'll have no problem. However you'll pay the price for airfares departing Australia (the Australian market) - if that's what you want to book. The airfares for each market are set such that the airline optimises the number of seats sold in each market, and provides the best availability for people in each market along the way. Therefore you buy the tickets according to the market in which you originate.
Thanks. As I thought, I can not buy a ticket from a UK vendor with £s with a first departure from Aus and have it "shipped" to me in Aus. I see that as different to buying books or milk.

Cheaper through competition or through subsidy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.