Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz public being ripped off for flights

Oz public being ripped off for flights

Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of
Default Oz public being ripped off for flights

I am currently searching for a return flight back to the UK in June. Other than Cathay pacific who are about $1500 return all the rest of the major airlines are over $2000. However when you compare the exact same flights from the british end ie. lon-syd return they are coming up less than £550($1200ish). Why is this and how is it fair that we are subsidising brits travelling here for holidays.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oz public being ripped off for flights

Originally Posted by martin1978
I am currently searching for a return flight back to the UK in June. Other than Cathay pacific who are about $1500 return all the rest of the major airlines are over $2000. However when you compare the exact same flights from the british end ie. lon-syd return they are coming up less than £550($1200ish). Why is this and how is it fair that we are subsidising brits travelling here for holidays.

one way ?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

no, returns.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

sent you pm....because its top secret. ha ha
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

[SYD & LHR $2.03 / £]

Qantas: Sydney - London - Sydney; 2009-Oct-27 - 2009-Nov-27; $2069
Qantas: London - Sydney - London; 2009-Oct-27 - 2009-Nov-27; $1539 (£758)

BA: Sydney - London - Sydney; 2009-Oct-27 - 2009-Nov-27; $2,070
BA: London - Sydney - London; 2009-Oct-27 - 2009-Nov-27; $1640 (£807.70)

Leaving from Aus is more expensive by:
Qantas: +$530
BA: +$430
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painter in aus
sent you pm....because its top secret. ha ha
I know the handshake, can I get in too?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Smaller market here, less competition because the Government subsidise QANTAS and have a tighter control as to who can fly into which airport and when. Added to that they don't actually care a great deal about the customers . Not sure about the subsidising Brits (not just British people coming here for holidays), more a case of fleecing the locals.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:42 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Smaller market here, less competition because the Government subsidise QANTAS and have a tighter control as to who can fly into which airport and when. Added to that they don't actually care a great deal about the customers . Not sure about the subsidising Brits (not just British people coming here for holidays), more a case of fleecing the locals.
surely they wouldnt do that pen?
i know the cost of petrol goes up during the weekend and higher again on public holidays but thats simply because ........
erm thats because ...........
you know i`m buggered if i know why
it just always has
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:44 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
surely they wouldnt do that pen?
i know the cost of petrol goes up during the weekend and higher again on public holidays but thats simply because ........
erm thats because ...........
you know i`m buggered if i know why
it just always has
the oil companies up the price at weekends and public holidays to try and stop people from fueling up on those days and therefore the poor servo employees don't have to work as much. They're just being nice really, we all just fail to see it that way
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

found any yet ?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:05 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
If a government subsidized an airline then wouldn't that make it cheaper (ie not more expensive)?

The fares for BA and Qantas are close for return trips starting from the same destination. So if the airlines are in reciept of subsidies then each recieves about the same. But is either airline subsidized?

The big difference is that, for example, departing from London is ~$480 cheaper than departing from Sydney.

If there are subsidies (or lower charges), fare prices indicate that they occur at London.

If there are higher charges, fare prices indicate that they occur at Sydney.

Is it subsidies (or lower charges) at London or higher charges at Sydney which result in higher fares when departing from Sydney relative to London?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

nope not found anything yet. the cathay pacific price has just gone down to $1433 if I change one of my flights by 2 days so probably going to book that. It just infuriates me that doing the opposit journey would be cheaper.

The BA ones I found going the other way were £287 each way INCLUSIVE of all fees and taxes. :curse:

Although I have just heard a rumour that flight centre have just bought a bulk load of malaysian air seats and are selling them very cheap.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

wow, think i just paid alot for my flights in comparison then, just paid over $4000 for return to dubai for me and my 4 year old on emirates!!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

nope not found anything yet. the cathay pacific price has just gone down to $1433 if I change one of my flights by 2 days so probably going to book that. It just infuriates me that doing the opposit journey would be cheaper.

The BA ones I found going the other way were £287 each way INCLUSIVE of all fees and taxes. :curse:

Although I have just heard a rumour that flight centre have just bought a bulk load of malaysian air seats and are selling them very cheap.
With the airfare wars currently on, you can spend all day chopping around air fares. As one offer expires, another takes its place. You should probably just take solice that $1433 IS a darn good fare and your not going to find much better and just take it.

Take solice in the fact that the Malaysian flight operates SYD to KL via BNE on the outbound sector too, which would be a pain.

CX is a good airline and certainly rates very high in my list of airlines I am prepared to fly with.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 6:08 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not possible to book the flights from a UK travel operator? I've always wondered this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.