Reload this Page >

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Old May 9th 2010, 11:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Originally Posted by coolshadows
From that article:
many first-home buyers didn't invest wisely.

Despite a bleak forecast for southwest Sydney, dozens of people are still applying for loans out of their reach, according to mortgage brokers.

many people were seeking to borrow more than they could afford.

"We get a lot of inquiry that we struggle to convert because people are wanting to borrow more than they can afford,"

Old May 9th 2010, 11:17 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From that article:
many first-home buyers didn't invest wisely.

Despite a bleak forecast for southwest Sydney, dozens of people are still applying for loans out of their reach, according to mortgage brokers.

many people were seeking to borrow more than they could afford.

"We get a lot of inquiry that we struggle to convert because people are wanting to borrow more than they can afford,"
yet I'm sure I heard that people that invested in Australia's property market were financially astute.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:20 am
ABCDiamond

Mortgages soak up 40% of first home buyers' pay

"First home buyers in Sydney are being forced to fork out a record 40.6 per cent of average incomes to pay for a typical mortgage, as spiralling home prices make gaining a foothold in the city's booming property market more difficult than ever."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...244563019.html

July 29 2003
Do times really change much ?

Old May 9th 2010, 11:22 am
ABCDiamond

yet I'm sure I heard that people that invested in Australia's property market were financially astute.
Far from it for a number it would seem. I can't fathom how some people thought that interest rates would stay so low !
There was plenty in the news about how they had to rise again.

Old May 9th 2010, 11:24 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Do times really change much ?
No, the only remarkable thing about the Australian property market is the bubble has been going since 2003.

Can you find a similar article prior to 2003? (genuine question)
Old May 9th 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Could be partly true but only in recent years have I seen dozens of people queued outside a fairly standard rental property, all trying to get their feet in the door. Surely with a 'big Australia' in the pipeline and the Govt releasing land for sale in dribs and drabs, their holding us all to ransom, buyers included.
Totally different rental market now, to this time last year, a lot easier to get one, no more people in recent months that I've heard about, offering estate agents more money than the asking rate, which was almost the norm last year.

Also I can confirm that things have definitely gone of the boil in the Inner North in Melbourne. Properties passed in that definitely wouldnt have been 3 months ago.

People have suddenly turned cautious, and I beleive the Chinese have stopped buying at all costs.

Friends place got passed in yesterday, they were hoping for 900k didnt get above 800k... Missed out by 3 months once more. They will probably manage 840k this week I would say.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...west-106503722
Old May 9th 2010, 11:26 am
Pie Eater

Far from it for a number it would seem. I can't fathom how some people thought that interest rates would stay so low !
There was plenty in the news about how they had to rise again.
To be fair, I think 'they' expected rate rises, just that they got 'caught out' by the speed and number of rises.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Totally different rental market now, to this time last year, a lot easier to get one, no more people in recent months that I've heard about, offering estate agents more money than the asking rate, which was almost the norm last year.
I arrived in June 08 to Sydney and it had already gone off the boil. Some agents tried to spin a rental crisis. Others admitted it was pure spin.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I arrived in June 08 to Sydney and it had already gone off the boil. Some agents tried to spin a rental crisis. Others admitted it was pure spin.
I would say there is a rental crisis.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I would say there is a rental crisis.
Where do you think there is one? How does it manifest itself?

I'm talking in terms of availability, not price. I don't consider rentals expensive compared to supposed capital values.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the thing with Australia, whats happening in one state might not be the case in the other but how do you explain the house I once rented for $180 per week now being $270 in 4 years if demand isnt outstripping supply?

I also havent seen houses/units lying empty either.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm talking in terms of availability, not price. I don't consider rentals expensive compared to supposed capital values.

Influx of new arrivals buying/renting and not enough houses being built to compensate. Puts prices at a premium wouldnt you think?
Old May 9th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats the thing with Australia, whats happening in one state might not be the case in the other but how do you explain the house I once rented for $180 per week now being $270 in 4 years if demand isnt outstripping supply?

I also havent seen houses/units lying empty either.
The funny thing with rents is that as crazy as capital values get, rents are to a much greater extent attached to reality. There's a lot more rationality in how much of a persons salary they will devote to housing when they are not chasing capital gain or rather competing with others who are chasing capital gain. I don't know how much median wages have gone up by in that particular area or whether there have been other changes such as development of amenities or transport links. The only thing for sure is that in this irrational market the rents will not have increased in line with capital values. Negative gearing has caused investors to ignore yields. If Henry/Rudd had any balls they would have stopped the shift to people using this safety net as a cushion.
Influx of new arrivals buying/renting and not enough houses being built to compensate. Puts prices at a premium wouldnt you think?
I see no evidence of a shortage. I always assumed there was vast swathes of empty stock knocking around, they're now beginning to come out of the woodwork in the mainstream media. Call them 'holiday homes' or rental voids if you want, but to me they're empties.

Last edited by Steve2009; May 9th 2010 at 11:57 am.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:46 pm
ABCDiamond

No, the only remarkable thing about the Australian property market is the bubble has been going since 2003.

Can you find a similar article prior to 2003? (genuine question)
Best I can do so far is this recent one that quotes 1996
Nationally, first home buyers are now spending 31.7 per cent of their total income on mortgage repayments – up from 17.9 per cent in 1996
http://www.australmortgage.com.au/ne...r-account.html
Which, if all three rates are accurate, show the following trend
1996 17.9% of income for mortgage payment
2003 40.0%
2009 31.7%

Old May 9th 2010, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm not going to hold my breath for a crash. I have been here since 2006, and every couple of months this gets trotted out. I would like to see a crash, so that I can buy in, but based on my experience of the last 4 years, certainly here in the inner west of Sydney, prices just don't seem to fall by any substantial margin.

They may well not increase for a number of years, but they just don't seem to fall.

S

Don't hold your breath and wait. The same in the thing was said in the UK. House prices aren't much lower, if anything, than a few years ago.

Maybe remote areas had a mini crash, but prices here are still fairly strong, well certainly where we are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.