Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Old May 7th 2010, 11:59 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

First suggestion that rates might actually FALL!!!...

"There is now a small bias for a decrease in June," ASX derivatives markets manager Kristye van de Geer said yesterday.
Should the euro zone woes worsen "there would be the potential that we would see quarter-on-quarter falls at the end of the year", Mr Christopher said yesterday.

Residex CEO John Edwards also said price growth would moderate. He forecasts 5-8 per cent overall.

The top end of the market would do best, while some cheaper areas of southwestern Sydney were already going backwards.

"We have seen a fall in the value of assets in the assets in those markets of up to 3 per cent this year," Mr Edwards said.

"And the rate of that fall has been accelerating."
Rates to fall along with value of homes

I wonder if we'll see signs of 'profit taking', like we do with shares?
Old May 8th 2010, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Originally Posted by coolshadows

Rates to fall along with value of homes

I wonder if we'll see signs of 'profit taking', like we do with shares?
Can't see rates falling anytime soon. Unless China takes a hit...
Old May 8th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Rates won't fall unless Europe as a whole gets into trouble or China stalls.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

And then there's this:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...push-up-rates/

Really, no one knows what's going to happen. The day before the dollar was hit and started it's decline to .62 USD, I read an article saying it will hit parity in the next month. I've come to conclusion that even 'experts' can't say what's going to happen.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:36 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Yeha I remember about 2 months back when one analysit predicted more than aprity.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
Yeha I remember about 2 months back when one analysit predicted more than aprity.
When a what predicted what?
Old May 8th 2010, 6:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
No way, especially with inflation is being unruly at present. The point of interest rates rising is to bring home prices under control amongst other things. It seems to be somehow ingrained in the Australian subconscious that house prices should go up quarterly or the sky will fall down.

It kinda shits me that so many people in this country have been brainwashed into thinking property property property. I don't think I know anyone who just owns one house
Old May 8th 2010, 6:52 am
Banned

aussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Originally Posted by Centurion
No way, especially with inflation is being unruly at present. The point of interest rates rising is to bring home prices under control amongst other things. It seems to be somehow ingrained in the Australian subconscious that house prices should go up quarterly or the sky will fall down.

It kinda shits me that so many people in this country have been brainwashed into thinking property property property. I don't think I know anyone who just owns one house
Economic boom is just like a roller coaster, there comes the top (height) and ultimately everything quickly drops Same happend over in UK and USA...
Old May 8th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Centurion
Exactly the same thing happend in Ireland, everyone wanted to jump on the property bandwagon, (All the banks were telling them to BUY, BUY, BUY!!) and then look what happened, everyone was too greedy and it couldn't go on forever. I know people like that too Centurion, even some who have 3/4/5 properties and they are now f**ked!!!!!!!! I predict property prices will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??

Last edited by soulrebel; May 8th 2010 at 7:41 am.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
I predict it will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??
Do you have any other great predictions?
Old May 8th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Do you have any other great predictions?
Yeah you get caught in the end!! Sorry!
Old May 8th 2010, 7:44 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

The housing boom won't end unless OZ goes into recession and that won't happen while China continues to buy up OZ's massive natural resources.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:46 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Exactly the same thing happend in Ireland, everyone wanted to jump on the property bandwagon, (All the banks were telling them to BUY, BUY, BUY!!) and then look what happened, everyone was too greedy and it couldn't go on forever. I know people like that too Centurion, even some who have 3/4/5 properties and they are now f**ked!!!!!!!! I predict property prices will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??
Ireland doesn't have OZ's massive natural resources to keep its economy out of recession or large numbers of immigrants all wanting to buy houses. Unless China goes into recession l doubt OZ's property prices will collapse.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Rates won't fall unless Europe as a whole gets into trouble or China stalls.
Err, it is - bigtime.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I know people like that too Centurion, even some who have 3/4/5 properties and they are now f**ked!!!!!!!! I predict property prices will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??
Yes, my sis-in-law has three properties, they bought two in 1999-2000. They have paid off one (they paid 250k for a 4 bed 2 bath - now worth over 600k renting for 400 pw), second one is a town house (paid 300k worth probably 500k now - interest only mortgage; renting for 400 pw). The third is brand new and a lovely house which they bought 2 years ago and live in (they bought the land really cheap and then built the house - total cost around 400k). He can easily cover the mortgage as he was paying much higher rates 2 years ago. I think they should be fine even if the market falls provided they don't invest any more money in RE I couldn't be happier for them

Last edited by IndieG; May 8th 2010 at 8:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.