Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think the chance of the Aus Gov letting Comm Bank fail is less than zero.
You're probably right, we'd all have to bail them out with our taxes, but in the meantime they could well freeze everyone's accounts.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coolshadows
The Australian economy has done well out of the 'Building the Education Revolution' and 'First Home Owners Boost' economic stimulus plans. But the effects of these will begin to wane.

I'm sure as the building projects in schools come to an end, and the current boom in new house building beings to drop, there could be a bit of a dip.
It has done well but do you think the money has been spent in the right areas. In the uk all the banks were bailed out. Were they bailed out here? If not do you think it would have been wise to do so. I know people say its wrong and i would agree. Reckless lending has got them into trouble but they are the backbone of economy and greed drives capatalism.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
All mines in the CBA in london. Would i still loose it?
I don't know. Does the UK still have the bank deposit guarantee? and are CBA in London a UK subsidiary? if yes and yes then you'd be covered by the UK guarantee. I'd be checking to make sure though.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:17 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I don't know. Does the UK still have the bank deposit guarantee? and are CBA in London a UK subsidiary? if yes and yes then you'd be covered by the UK guarantee. I'd be checking to make sure though.
Up to £50,000 I think.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably right, we'd all have to bail them out with our taxes,
Just like the USA, UK and now Europe, and all of the money printing will lead to high (hyper?) inflation.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:24 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by freebo
Just like the USA, UK and now Europe, and all of the money printing will lead to high (hyper?) inflation.
The only people left standing at the end of it all will be those who were already poor and those with gold/silver or possibly USD until the latter stages, before they too are wiped out.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

The only people left standing at the end of it all will be those who were already poor and those with gold/silver or possibly USD until the latter stages, before they too are wiped out.
We're on the same page, and in the same metals by the sounds of things.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:35 am
(It's not my real name)

A couple of nutters.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I think the chance of the Aus Gov letting Comm Bank fail is less than zero.
Yes, they won't let any bank fail but in the process the A$ (which is reported to be overvalued by as much as 35% against the US$) will tank.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

What you all seem to be forgetting is that 'it's different here'!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of nutters.
Last time I saw shops appearing, offering to buy scrap gold off people, was back in the late 1970's when gold hit $800 an ounce. I seem to remember it tanked not long after that.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
What you all seem to be forgetting is that 'it's different here'!
My oh got a lecture just the other day along the lines of "you better buy your house now as prices will never go down and in fact prices double every 7 years...prices here are simply zooming"
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Last time I saw shops appearing, offering to buy scrap gold off people, was back in the late 1970's when gold hit $800 an ounce. I seem to remember it tanked not long after that.
And it could do so again, the reason it dropped that time (having run up from $35 per oz in 8 years), is the govt raised interest rates to about 15% to combat inflation and restore a balanced budget. if that happens again I'll be selling my gold and investing the money in a flying pig farm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:54 am
(It's not my real name)

We'll see. We all have to do what we think is right at the time. If gold prices tank it means the global economic situation is all good again - so that's a big bonus, everything back to normal. Can't see this happening for many years.

Also if gold prices tank listen out for the "beep beep beep!" - what's that? Its the sound of me backing up da truck to load up.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

And it could do so again, the reason it dropped that time (having run up from $35 per oz in 8 years), is the govt raised interest rates to about 15% to combat inflation and restore a balanced budget. if that happens again I'll be selling my gold and investing the money in a flying pig farm.
We'll see. We all have to do what we think is right at the time. If gold prices tank it means the global economic situation is all good again - so that's a big bonus, everything back to normal. Can't see this happening for many years.

Also if gold prices tank listen out for the "beep beep beep!" - what's that? Its the sound of me backing up da truck to load up.
...and you could both be right. I don't have a crystal ball and I sure as Hell don't watch metals prices as much as you guys... but from the outside looking in, you both sound as Bullish about this as people who say house prices can only go one way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.