Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Banks, Cheapest + The Best?

Oz Banks, Cheapest + The Best?

Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Ruptured gonad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz Banks, Cheapest + The Best?

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
I agree totally with you and moved repeatedly in th UK but the Oz banks are a different kettle of fish. It's fine if you have about 20/30 k Oz dollars as then they'll waive the charges but we don't.

Find me a bank with zero charges and I'll join it tomorrow. From what we've seen, there's not one so how are we going to negotiate?
John

Citibank

No need to negotiate.

Cheers
Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ruptured gonad
Citibank

No need to negotiate.

Cheers
Which account with Citibank would you recommend ?

I looked quickly and saw:

The Online Cash Manager is a great way to make the most of your spare cash. Whether you are saving, investing or simply parking your funds, Online Cash Manager will give you:

* High interest rate - 5.40% p.a.* at call, calculated daily and paid monthly
* 24x7 access to your money via CitiPhone Banking or Internet Banking
* No monthly account-keeping or minimum balance fees^
* No minimum opening balance
* Monthly electronic statement
Important Notes:
*Interest rate effective 02/04/2004 and subject to change at any time. Current interest rates are available at www.citibank.com.au.
^Citibank is permitted by the terms and conditions to introduce account-keeping and other fees. Fees for general banking services apply, for example, when requesting a bank cheque. A full copy of the Schedule of Fees and Charges is available on request.
- Chequebook and over the counter deposit and withdrawal facilities are not available.
- Two free withdrawals per month, subsequent withdrawals $2.00 per withdrawal.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Dec 7th 2004 at 1:38 am.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Before you consider St George, try their website: it's a shambles! Takes sometimes five minutes to load, has bits all over each other, the account information is an incomprehensible mess ....nedd I go on?

We have closed down our current account after 16 years and are doing the same with a couple of term deposits as they become mature. Just standing for 20 minutes in line at the branches talking to other customers makes you realise that we're not alone in thinking they need a bomb up the backside!
I've just just been on to the St George website, checked three of our accounts, and copied transactions to my spreadsheet, and the whole thing took just 2 minutes.
What branch do you use ? 20 minutes in the queue sounds a long time. We used to use the Penrith and St Marys branches in NSW, but now just use the Carindale branch in QLD, ( but rarely have to go there) these branches were normally pretty quick, but I do recall Mt Druitt was bad a few times, with about 20 people in front of us.

PS: I just saw this on the website
We're Updating our Website
St.George will shortly be launching a revised look for the website. The changes will make it quicker to view the pages.
So it looks like it may sometimes have had problems.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Dec 7th 2004 at 8:29 am.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Ruptured gonad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which account with Citibank would you recommend ?

I looked quickly and saw:

The Online Cash Manager is a great way to make the most of your spare cash. Whether you are saving, investing or simply parking your funds, Online Cash Manager will give you:

* High interest rate - 5.40% p.a.* at call, calculated daily and paid monthly
* 24x7 access to your money via CitiPhone Banking or Internet Banking
* No monthly account-keeping or minimum balance fees^
* No minimum opening balance
* Monthly electronic statement
Important Notes:
*Interest rate effective 02/04/2004 and subject to change at any time. Current interest rates are available at www.citibank.com.au.
^Citibank is permitted by the terms and conditions to introduce account-keeping and other fees. Fees for general banking services apply, for example, when requesting a bank cheque. A full copy of the Schedule of Fees and Charges is available on request.
- Chequebook and over the counter deposit and withdrawal facilities are not available.
- Two free withdrawals per month, subsequent withdrawals $2.00 per withdrawal.

This is the account I have. They also offer a traditional account which has 5 free withdrawals & cheque book but pays little interest and has a minimum balance requirement. Just need to be disiplined to one ATM visit every two weeks. I intend to compliment the account with a Visa card.

Citibank are great for international banking if you need it as well.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:26 pm
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough

I understand the banks charge if you make too many withdrawals, but do you get charged for using switch?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

waltham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Granger
I understand the banks charge if you make too many withdrawals, but do you get charged for using switch?
you get charged for everything here,but they do not take out tax.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:08 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

St George will give you a "multi-access card", which is a Visa debit card. You can put all your transactions through as credit (rather than debit) transactions when you pay & not get charged. Not sure about other banks though!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by waltham
you get charged for everything here,but they do not take out tax.
My November Bank Account Transactions:

Transaction account
8 Transactions out, 6 Transactions in

Credit Card
51 Transactions out, 1 transfer from Transaction account to pay card in full

Total Bank Charges = NIL, with no monthly fee either.

Interest received on savings is not taxed at source but IS TAXED at the end of the year.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Switch = EFTPOS here it counts as a transaction towards your monthly allowance (if you have one). Getting cash-out when paying by EFTPOS is a way to reduce your transactions & therefore account fees.