Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Financial Advice...

Financial Advice...

Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Advice...

I have a Perm Res visa (granted 04/04) and plan to move to Oz in late 2005/early 2006 (delay for personal reasons).

I'm looking for a Tax/Financial advisor/lawyer who can advise us on, ahem, transfering (or not) our assets to Oz.

Can anyone suggest a KNOWN TRUSTWORTHY advisor? (btw, I live in Woking).

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:15 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Financial Advice...

Originally Posted by berndbrot
I have a Perm Res visa (granted 04/04) and plan to move to Oz in late 2005/early 2006 (delay for personal reasons).

I'm looking for a Tax/Financial advisor/lawyer who can advise us on, ahem, transfering (or not) our assets to Oz.

Can anyone suggest a KNOWN TRUSTWORTHY advisor? (btw, I live in Woking).

thanks in advance.
We are doing all ours when we got to oz as every person we contacted here wanted to charge an arm and a leg just to talk to us ...
so we will do it when we get there
Just use someone like www.Tranzfers.com to move the money across (no i don't work for them but i do use them)
Where abouts in woking ? used to live on Goldsworth park (brother still lives there, Knaphill actually)
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:36 am
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Speak to the Commonwealth Bank in London, they transferred our money over to Oz and had our account all ready when we got here, Cards and everything, were very good, and didn't charge for the transfer and conversion of currency.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:44 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

If you call 0800 085 3250 (IFA promotions) they can give you a list of IFAs in your area and 'voucher' for free 30 min consultation for one on the list.

Personally I would want to know more on an advisor and their business before commiting to them, and would want a FOC meeting to establish what they can offer, if we get on etc although not expecting free advice.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:10 am
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replies so far. appreciated.
I guess what i need to know is...'what are the tax implecations for transferring money (such as house sale etc) to Oz outside considering it will be later than six months from Visa receipt?'
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:33 am
ABCDiamond

thanks for the replies so far. appreciated.
I guess what i need to know is...'what are the tax implecations for transferring money (such as house sale etc) to Oz outside considering it will be later than six months from Visa receipt?'
It's not visa receipt that is relevant, its the date you become Australian Resident, and I am sure leeway is allowed in house sale circumstances.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Alan Collett of 'Go Matilda' is a qualified accountant who provides financial advice for those moving to Oz. Ho posts on this forum quite a lot and provides some sound advice. I have attached the web address of his company.

Hope this helps

Mark

http://www.gomatilda.com/
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you've taken (or are planning to take) a holiday in Australia before the 'first entry date' on the visa?

Jeremy