Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ BANKING CLEARANCE TIMES?

OZ BANKING CLEARANCE TIMES?

Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:42 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default OZ BANKING CLEARANCE TIMES?

Hi Can anyone tell me the clearance times from when money enters an Oz bank account (I am with Westpac) until when it's available.

I had an Ozforex transfer go in last Friday 23rd and it is showing in my balance column online. I thought it would als show as being available today (3 working days after entry as in UK) but it is still showing as $0 available

Annoying as I want to transfer it across to my Westpac savings account and start earning interest..

Thx for any info
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:04 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Re: OZ BANKING CLEARANCE TIMES?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=482492&page=2

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Just a thought?

In the UK we have direct debits, standing orders.

Also BACS and CHAPS payment options.

If say you have $000.00 in an account at say Westpac, and you want to withdraw the full amount and move it all to HSBC, what optioins do you have in Austalia, and at what cost? How long do the options take?

In the UK,

BACS = Free = day 1 instruct, day 2 process, day 3 cleared paying interest.

CHAPS = Around £30.00 cost = Same day clear, no loss of interest.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
It's much quicker than that here. When I have transferred money between accounts in the past, the entire transfer is usually complete within 24 hours of the instruction. It can take longer over weekends and public holidays, but generally you can rely on the money having touched down in the target account within 24 hours. This is between HSBC and Commonwealth and back again.

S

That's all i found out in the past? Hope it helps?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:12 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks -it's just odd that Ozforex paid my money in last Friday and actually it's been showing as in my online account since last Friday but still cant be used Even if Ozforex used bacs not chaps wouldn't have thought it would take longer than 3 days..

Oh well guess I'll have to wait 'til tmrw and call the bank
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:17 pm
South Yarra Sheila

Basically on my Wetpac online balance sheet it says something like:

A/C No:*******
Date Paid In Balance Available to spend
23 November $20,000 $0.00

Why after 3 working days i.e. Friday 23 to Wednesday 28) is it still not available to spend??
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:28 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Basically on my Wetpac online balance sheet it says something like:

A/C No:*******
Date Paid In Balance Available to spend
23 November $20,000 $0.00

Why after 3 working days i.e. Friday 23 to Wednesday 28) is it still not available to spend??

You cannot spend it because you have not validated who you are with regards to your Westpac account? I am guessing now?

BTW http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496533

Originally Posted by midwife2be
No probs

When you open a westpac account online it gives you the option of opening the maxi account, a letter arrived a few days later with both account details on it. We have to pay in some funds within 30 days, they recommend $3500 then you dont pay the monthly charge!

You cant transfer money from one account to the other until its activated in oz so I think we'll put some in the current account and then the majority in the maxi - i think this will mean paying twice though to send it over as its to two different accounts

This banking lark is complicated innit
You could activate your Westpac in London, you can open and activate here in London.

Westpac's London switchboard: (020) 7621 7000

There is also an email address:
[email protected]

Postal address:
Migrant Banking, Level 2
63 St Mary Axe
London EC3A 8LE

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Nov 28th 2007 at 4:42 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:40 pm
South Yarra Sheila

You cannot spend it because you have not validated who you are with regards to your Westpac account? I am guessing now?

BTW http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496533

You could activate your Westpac in London, you can open and activate here in London.

Westpac's London switchboard: (020) 7621 7000

There is also an email address:
[email protected]

Postal address:
Migrant Banking, Level 2
63 St Mary Axe
London EC3A 8LE
Dont atually want to spend it-just transfer online to my savings account-gonna call them tmrw
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Dont atually want to spend it-just transfer online to my savings account-gonna call them tmrw
It doesn't matter - you can't transfer ANY money out of your account (even to another account in your name) until you have presented yourself at a branch of Westpac. You could have just paid the money into the savings account, but that's not much help to you now I'm afraid.

You can do the paperwork at the London city office but even then it takes a while as they simply send the paperwork on to Oz.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:59 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding from the blurb on their website is that until you have activated your account, you can only view your online accounts and cannot even transfer between your own accounts.

Due to this I only transferred a small amount to my Choice account and will be transferring the rest to the Maxi (Savings) account.

By the way it's actually pointless transferring the minimum amount required ($3,000) to your Choice account so that you aren't charged the monthly $5.00 fee - you'll receive about $150 a year worth of interest if you put it in your Maxi account instead! Just put a nominal amount in your Choice account within 30 days of opening your account.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by louie
It doesn't matter - you can't transfer ANY money out of your account (even to another account in your name) until you have presented yourself at a branch of Westpac. You could have just paid the money into the savings account, but that's not much help to you now I'm afraid.

You can do the paperwork at the London city office but even then it takes a while as they simply send the paperwork on to Oz.
A very easy mistake to make though, as now you could have a substantial amount of cash sitting in your current account with Westpac not working very hard with regards to interest earned and it is stuck there until you validate you account either in person in London or in OZ?

Should be a Sticky really with a financial health warning on it!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kalenge
My understanding from the blurb on their website is that until you have activated your account, you can only view your online accounts and cannot even transfer between your own accounts.

Due to this I only transferred a small amount to my Choice account and will be transferring the rest to the Maxi (Savings) account.

By the way it's actually pointless transferring the minimum amount required ($3,000) to your Choice account so that you aren't charged the monthly $5.00 fee - you'll receive about $150 a year worth of interest if you put it in your Maxi account instead! Just put a nominal amount in your Choice account within 30 days of opening your account.

Good shout, i suppose put the $3000.00 in your maxi savings account, earn the greater interest rate, which will offset the cost of the charge you incurr on you current account?

$3000.00 = $157.50 per year before tax in your Maxi savings account.

$5.00 a month charge for use of your current account with Westpac will cost you $60.00 per year, so even after tax deduction from your $157.50 interest payment you are still quids in?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:11 pm
South Yarra Sheila

Will have to do that then-we're in London area so not so bad. They could have warned me though when I spoke to them:curse:
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

$3000.00 = $157.50 per year before tax in your Maxi savings account.
The tax is quite a large element though, we were horrified after our first year just how much they took off us becuase we'd earned some nice interest.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:25 am

mgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of lightmgilmour is a glorious beacon of light

I think this must be right as we transfer cleared funds into accounts in all cases.

Regards,
Matt Gilmour
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:02 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mgilmour
I think this must be right as we transfer cleared funds into accounts in all cases.

Regards,
Matt Gilmour
Makes sense to me too. We were able to access our money as soon as we got it from Ozforex. But at that time we were already in Australia and had opened our bank account in person.

I seem to remember reading about this before though. That you can put money in but then can't touch it at all until your can confirm your identify to the bank in some way.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:49 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by comet555
Makes sense to me too. We were able to access our money as soon as we got it from Ozforex. But at that time we were already in Australia and had opened our bank account in person.

I seem to remember reading about this before though. That you can put money in but then can't touch it at all until your can confirm your identify to the bank in some way.
Could understand this if i was trying to make a payment or even transfer my funds to another bank but a bit daft as all i want to do is transfer between my 2 linked westpac accounts. Seems like everything is designed to diddle a person or make things as annoying as possible..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.