Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Owner/Builder license

Owner/Builder license

Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:09 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Owner/Builder license

Can anyone give me advice on the Owner/Builder license?
What does it entitle you to do?
Exactly whats involved in obtaining the license and how much it all costs?
Also how long does it take to get and do you need any other prior qualifications to gain this license?

tia
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owner/Builder license

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Also how long does it take to get and do you need any other prior qualifications to gain this license?

tia
Start with Tafe colleges, over in QLD you need to do a short course to get the permit. Be very aware of the restrictions it will put on the house for 6/7 years regarding selling it. Please do as I suggested, get some aussie quotes before you go down this path, I really dont think you will come in anywhere near $108,000, get the quotes it will soon become very clear why I am saying this. And bear in mind owner builders will still have to use aus registered tradesmen for many things anyway. If you dont know the aus regulations this could be an absolute minefield of hassle things are very regualted here. Good luck anyway do you know what size the house is?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MaggieNoodles is an unknown quantity at this point

tia

Try this link.....

BRB Perth

Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

MaggieNoodles.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:40 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You can borrow some excellent books on self building from local libraries. That won't help until you get here though. The short course at TAFE is really easy.
You could also struggle to insure the house itself unless you pay extra for engineers inspections along the way.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:37 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Start with Tafe colleges, over in QLD you need to do a short course to get the permit. Be very aware of the restrictions it will put on the house for 6/7 years regarding selling it. Please do as I suggested, get some aussie quotes before you go down this path, I really dont think you will come in anywhere near $108,000, get the quotes it will soon become very clear why I am saying this. And bear in mind owner builders will still have to use aus registered tradesmen for many things anyway. If you dont know the aus regulations this could be an absolute minefield of hassle things are very regualted here. Good luck anyway do you know what size the house is?
Actually its not to do with building my own house (well not yet anyway) Its to do with a property renovation. I read in a property magazine about a guy who bought a house to renovate himself, but before he could start taking walls down etc he needed to obtain an 'Owner Builder License'.
I plan to do this sort of thing as its what I do here, but I do know that Australia has all sorts of restrictions on renovations.
A lot of tradesman complain on here about having to obtain licenses etc before they can work in Aus, so I wanted to be prepared.
Obviously in the UK anyone can call themselves a builder but in Aus things appear to be very different.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:44 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I must say I am glad I build here is WA than Qld as there does seem shit loads more red tape over there than here, but having said that owner/builder could save someone very savy a few thousand but could also blow out the costs aswell.

The price a tradesman will give for a private person as to a builder will be dramatically different. Most builders will give regular work to good subbies, so therefore they dont have to go wasting their time looking for work. As the trademan that will work privately will charge more cos they dont know when the next job may be. Also there is just no way you will be able to buy materials at the same price builders can.

But it is possible, just have to be very careful.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:18 am
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road

tia
Hi there

We've been looking at this also and found this site

www.ownerbuild.com.au

We found it really usefull, it depends on what you intend doing.