Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Overseas Roaming (TravelSim)

Overseas Roaming (TravelSim)

Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overseas Roaming (TravelSim)

Does anyone have any experience of TravelSim or know of any alternatives to this for overseas roaming? I dread the cost of taking my contract phone overseas and switching it on.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Overseas Roaming (TravelSim)

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Does anyone have any experience of TravelSim or know of any alternatives to this for overseas roaming? I dread the cost of taking my contract phone overseas and switching it on.
get your phone unlocked, if it's not already, and purchase a local sim when you get to your destination - always works for me.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I used TravelSim earlier this year and didn't have any problems with it. I think it is meant to be one of the better ones, but probably depends which country/countries you are travelling too - I didn't spend much time looking into the different options though - was a bit of a rushed trip. One thing is that if you don't use it for a while it lapses (I think after 6 months?).
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I eventually went for the new Optus Turbo Cap Plus prepaid. It is about the only Australian prepaid service that allows you to roam. I looked at the GoTalk offering and you get a UK mobile phone number which is OK if you are going to the UK I suppose but not much use in New Zealand.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnye
get your phone unlocked, if it's not already, and purchase a local sim when you get to your destination - always works for me.
We are travelling to Canada in a few weeks and when I spoke to Telstra the guy told me not to even bring the phone and then said if I bring it ... not to turn it on ... because it is something like $4.50 a minute for roaming. He said to get a local sim card when we get there....so thats our plan! He said the phone is unlocked, but I'm gonna go in again and double and triple check that it is!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paularn
We are travelling to Canada in a few weeks and when I spoke to Telstra the guy told me not to even bring the phone and then said if I bring it ... not to turn it on ... because it is something like $4.50 a minute for roaming. He said to get a local sim card when we get there....so thats our plan! He said the phone is unlocked, but I'm gonna go in again and double and triple check that it is!
you can check that its unlocked simply by putting in another aus sim card. Yeah rom charges are horrendous
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paularn
I turn mine off on departure and it does not get turned on again until I have a local sim card. Friends of mine had their account disabled after unknowingly having run up a bill of $1500 after only 2 weeks of holiday. They were only using it infrequently too.