Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

outside catchment area for school, help!!

outside catchment area for school, help!!

Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:42 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default outside catchment area for school, help!!

Hi all, can anyone suggest a way of getting round the catchment area ruling for schools here in Perth, do they ever make an exception? Im desparate to get my Daughter in a school 5 minutes away but im just outside that area!! any help much appreciated as im feeling really miserable about it at the moment if it comes to it I will just have to sell my house and move to Butler. Thanks in advance everyone, please feel free to pm me, xxx

Last edited by Dawn; Oct 27th 2006 at 2:52 am.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: outside catchment area for school, help!!

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all, can anyone suggest a way of getting round the catchment area ruling for schools here in Perth? Im desparate to get my Daughter in a school 5 minutes away but im just outside that area!! any help much appreciated as im feeling really miserable about it at the moment if it comes to it I will just have to sell my house and move to Butler. Thanks in advance everyone. xxx
I don't think you can do anything Dawn I am afraid and I don't mean to be harsh but you should really have thought about this before you bought your house.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:52 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Yes I know, im kicking myself

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't think you can do anything Dawn I am afraid and I don't mean to be harsh but you should really have thought about this before you bought your house.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you want to send her to local school?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:58 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

yes have to agree there...not much you can do about it..it is quite strict over here. My kids wanted to go to Kinross college but we lived in Joondalup at the time, so we had to tell a white lie and said we lived in Kinross with our relatives there. We now live in Carramar but because they already go there it doesn't matter now. Surely the school in your area isn't that bad?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:58 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

She started there this week but I really dont have a good feeling about it, its got a bit of a bad reputation too, if it comes to it she will have to stay there, atleast shes 5 and not 13 I suppose!

Why don't you want to send her to local school?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

She started there this week but I really dont have a good feeling about it, its got a bit of a bad reputation too, if it comes to it she will have to stay there, atleast shes 5 and not 13 I suppose!
Is she in Pre primary then. Do they have space at Butler for year 1, if they have space they will take you.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, can anyone suggest a way of getting round the catchment area ruling for schools here in Perth? Im desparate to get my Daughter in a school 5 minutes away but im just outside that area!! any help much appreciated as im feeling really miserable about it at the moment if it comes to it I will just have to sell my house and move to Butler. Thanks in advance everyone. xxx
Hiya Dawn,

Im not sure if its the same in Perth, but here in NSW, if you tell them your daughter needs to go to that particular school because you rely on someone in that area to pick her up, they will usually allow it. Another way of getting around it is, if you know somebody that lives in the area, use their address
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:02 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Yes pre-primary, no the schools full

Is she in Pre primary then. Do they have space at Butler for year 1, if they have space they will take you.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:04 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Problem is we dont know anyone yet, i may try the lift idea though, thank you

Originally Posted by christinabell
Hiya Dawn,

Im not sure if its the same in Perth, but here in NSW, if you tell them your daughter needs to go to that particular school because you rely on someone in that area to pick her up, they will usually allow it. Another way of getting around it is, if you know somebody that lives in the area, use their address
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dawn,

Have you tried the new school in Butler ? its being built at the moment, due to open in feb 2007. Might be worth ago.

Nicky
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:50 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dawn,
They can let you in from other areas if there are special circumstances.
I was outside the catchment for Ellenbrook primary but when I explanied that I would be working shifts and a friend with children would be picking them up or taking them at times, they changed their minds.
If you can speak to someone with children already in the school and explain, then you might be in with a chance.
It's worth a try! I was about to concede when they said if there were special circumstances they would reconsider.
Good luck,
Tracey
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

What school are you referring to............not Clarkson is it?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:14 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Hi all, just wanted to say thank you for your help, got my daughter into Connolly school which is about ten minutes drive away, ive been to see the school and really impressed, god i feel happier now, thanks again

Last edited by Dawn; Oct 29th 2006 at 12:20 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Hi all, just wanted to say for your help, got my daughter into Connolly school which is about ten minutes drive away, ive been to see the school and really impressed, god i feel happiers now, thanks again
my kids start there after christmas, its a brilliant school.