Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

outgrowing friends left behind!

outgrowing friends left behind!

Old May 8th 2005, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: outgrowing friends left behind!

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I don't think its to do with jealousy or bitterness or anything. As a previous poster wrote, I too have been moving around since I left uni 13 years ago. I make friends in each environment I'm in, I leave, I keep in touch, the contact becomes less and less, and finally dies.

Its just life. We have nothing in common anymore. And looking from their side, they have nothing in common with me. Its sad but its a fact of life I guess. They're not jealous of me, but they have their own lives in Germany, Belgium or wherever, groups of friends etc, whats the point of writing to a guy in Oz anymore.

And as another poster said, its the ones you don't expect, or didn't really consider your friends who really 'keep in touch'. Which is scary. My German language tutor still writes to me regularly :scared: even though we argued during every lesson. She's a scary woman

Cheers,
JTL
French teachers were always the pick of the bunch. I had to do German too and all I can remember is "How do I get to the trainstation?" and "All good things come in threes".

And that's two more phrases of German than I've ever needed ... ah, well, better than the alternative option that I coulda picked "Russian" ...

Proposed Ozzie-themed courses with sample questions:
Teams 101
- Who are the Roosters?
- What do they play?
- Are they any good?

Barbies
- You have 30 people coming around for a chow-down and 4 are veggies, when should you start cooking and how much will it cost?

Spiders
- Multiple-choice "Which One's Will Kill Me?"

Utes
- When is an exhaust just too big?

Sun Protection and Fashion
- Denim shorts age/length guidelines

Measures
Schooners? Pots? Glasses? Where are the pitchers?

blah, blah, blah ... sorry, I ramble ...

On topic? Friends? Oh yeh, well, I had some come over recently and they were very nice and positive about coming back. I also had a couple that ducked-out of the whole thing and have gone to ground ... so, I guess that tells you something ... probably ... I mean, if you analysed it properly and all that ...
Old May 8th 2005, 9:08 pm
Badge

Default Re: outgrowing friends left behind!

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
IMHO this thread just shows the difference between people who've lived in other places prior to emigrating and those who haven't. Anyone who has lived away from "home" for any length of time knows that close friends tend not to keep in touch much and accept it.

My advice is not to expect too much of friends. They have their own lives to get on with and, after all, if you emigrate it's you who are leaving them so I'd say the obligation is on you to keep in touch.

I have a friends who I don't see for years at a time. I still count them as friends because when we do get together it's as if we are still seeing each other regularly.
so true, this has been the pattern for me for many, many years - over half my life. You meet up once in a while to compare waistlines, dress sense etc. (People always comment on how little mine has changed lol). WHat amazes me and my wife is the way all the groups are so different, there's the nerdy lot, the sporty lot etc..I think she wonders how I can know so many weirdos.

Having said that, if I spent less time on Expats, maybe I would have more time to keep in contat with old friends who I could be sending an email. My wife is excellent at keeping in contact - I am not. I wrote a "Hi I am in Aus" to send to everyone - say a few hundred people 15 months ago and I still haven't got around to sending it. I keep opening it, and having to update it as a result- half is useless as it has time expired. Eg what was "just arrived, bought a car and renting", became "now I married", then it was "bought a house" , now it's "I am having a kid too"..

by the time it is updated, its war and peace, so I have to edit it... then I am too buggered to send it - I'll tell you why...

in hotmail you can only send to 50 people at a time and so to make it easier I have everyone in blocks like school, college, peopleIhate, peopleImetonthegrapegrazing, matesfromschoolnottobeincludedonthemainschoollist, armymatesfromregt1 etc as I know this is flawed system I know my mother is going to be missed off and will get it first hand from my brother...the job gets too long and I dread all the cut and pasting and management...and it goes on the back burner - again..

there will be people who still do not know I am in Australia.

The mind really boggles, truly it does.

Badge