Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our update A Year in Perth

Our update A Year in Perth

Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our update A Year in Perth

Well done! We have been here for 3 months and love it (I know it's early days etc etc). So far we've not been homesick, just missing friends sometimes. Like you we spend our weekends travelling around national parks and state forests and have been amazed by the wildlife.

We have both just got jobs, but we know that my husband's job is not fulfilling him, but this will work itself out given time.

If someone told me that I needed to go back to the UK now I would be devastated. We love this country. Immigration (and emigration) can be successful.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jill,

Great post,

We are heading over to Perth next year and you have worked hard for the quality of life that we are hoping to achieve.

Good luck

Mark
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jill, great reading your positive post. Sorry to be nosy but I'm curious to now what you meant about your bad experience with Banana Diary. Do we have to be very careful with what we write incase there's a looney out there reading it?

Fingers crossed we get to Perth too.

Take care
Marina
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

This is going to sound so twee, but I woke up this morning feeling very down about the whole process (things for us just seem to have come to a halt and it has been very frustrating) and when I read your post I almost felt like crying. I feel very uplifted after reading it and know that in the end it will all be worth it (Actually after reading it, I wondered if we should go to Perth instead of Melbourne where we plan to go ).

It is really great to hear that you and your family are doing so well - it gives us peeps stuck here in the UK hope and trust that we are doing the right thing. I have family in Melbourne and they too say that the friend network they have built up has surpassed anywhere else that they have lived, so we are looking forward to that.

Good luck to you all and thank you for a lovely post.

Sarah
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:37 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate House Flies
I am back on the site, but not in the form I was (now this is gonna sound really mad) something died in me when I went through all that Banana Diary business (still makes me shudder) . I have been pm-ing peeps if I can help with advice and generally keeping a low profile.

I lost the ability to be totally open with my writing (on site, not with friends). I now have to think very hard before I post and I will never forget how utterly poo it made me feel.

I sit for ages thinking should I write this or that and then chicken out. I know I shouldn't have let it get to me, but I am what I am. I can't even read the Banana Diaries yet and I printed it off as a momento, it has just totally ruined it for me.

Now I wanted to do a yearly update, cos there will be alot on the site who have no idea about the past diaries and may or may not be interested in how things have worked out for us, but it is very difficult to compose without wanting to say something really catty like "I'm not going to apologise for it working out for us etc"

Sorry just had to get that off my chest before I update, as it's probably going to make really boring reading.

We keep pinching ourselves as things are going so well. The ever so British optimism in me keeps a little voice in the back of my head alive, which pops up every now and again saying "Don't take this for granted - things change"
I can assure each and everyone of you that we don't take any of our good fortune for granted, it was a long time coming, we've had bad times and we are grateful for every single second we breathe in this beautiful place.

It's not been without it's mini dramas, but in the whole scheme of things they have been nothing more than blips.

We arrived here a year ago today, but Warren had to go back two weeks later, as the house sale had fell through three times. In total we were apart 3 1/2 months, which was hard at first, especially when I bought Imogen the dog and he and I cried for two days! - that was fun? at the time it felt awful, but you just get on with it. I discovered ME again and although it wasn't ideal, I learned I can cope without a man around, just LOL.

The day the house sold was probably one of the best bits of news I had heard in years, the relief was immense.

Imogen settled into her knew life extremely easily and having the web cam made all the difference when talking to her Dad. I have come to the conclusion that Imogen is more like me than I care to admit. She seems to very good at thinking about the positive in every situation and didn't seem at all phased about leaving the UK, or being away from her Dad. She just got on with it, shrugged her shoulders and just said "Well he'll be here soon"

She had a bit of a shaky start at school (not emotionally - thank God - but just with the work being at a different stage from her) and she ended up being moved up a year. This is quite common and it is just because the UK system teaches differently. Her confidence has soared in all aspects of her life. She continues to do well in gymnastics, horse riding and her swimming ability stuns me. She is a very happy little girl with a fab social life and is about to celebrate her eighth birthday.

The dog continues to think he rules the house and licks everyone to death, but we all love him dearly and spoil him rotten. He loves it when the girls come round as he is definitely a boob man (he's deprived with me you see).

Warren just totally loves his new job. He never relented in his pursuit, he went to 35 interviews and it took about 4 months for him to actually be in employment. In the end the agencies couldn't help him and he applied for one in the paper and got the position above the one he applied for. The agencies advised him to dumb down his UK experience as it was scaring employers off, but in the end he went with his gut instinct.

He has been to some fab places in Asia, Holland, Israel and is off to Sweden. You may think we haven't achieved our goal of spending more family time together, but you would be wrong. He leaves the house at a reasonable hour and is home at an equally reasonable hour compared to the horrendous daily travelling he did in the UK (shudder), he rarely saw daylight!! I quite enjoy him being away if that doesn't sound too awful, it gives us a healthy balance and Imogen and I have a great laugh together. It's also building up the air miles quite nicely which gives us a chance to accompany him. He may be off to New Zealand next year and he's on his orders "Not without us" LOL

He is back into his badminton and has been asked to coach and play in a State tournament. He plays golf with the boys (when the weather warms up a bit) and generally loves his life here more than he could have hoped for.

Now then there's me, the loon of the bunch. I can count on one hand the days when I have felt homesick, but they have passed pretty quickly and I have just got on with it. It's usually when I am tired to be honest. Sleep deprivation does mad things with ya head, so all make sure you get plenty of sleep, OK. After being here about 8 months things just started to fall into place and it just feels right.

The house is finished in 4 weeks and it has been a fantastic experience, which I am hoping in the new year will lead to a new career direction. It would have been impossible to have kept on top of things had I been working, so my advice is don't take this on lightly.

Hand on heart the best thing about Perth are my FANTASTIC friends who I love dearly. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be so lucky as to meet such an amazingly warm and funny group of girls. I feel very privileged to know them and would do anything for them.

Needless to say it's not just Imogen's social life that has improved, which has not helped my waistline at all. So if there is one negative out of all this I have piled on the pounds and I just know what my mother is going to say to me, when I pick her up from the airport in 8 weeks !! can't wait Seriously it will be just awesome seeing my Mum again, get the tissues ready.

Coming here has really changed me as a person, something I wasn't expecting at all. I have become alot more tolerant of other people and their opinions and alot more laid back.

Our weekends are just fab. We have been exploring WA have driven out to the hills, down to Margaret River, up North a bit and have so much more still left to do. The wildlife fascinates us (Warren has a picture gallery to prove it)and the countryside has been a very pleasant surprise. Perth is just beautiful and the city skyline still makes me feel very honoured to be allowed to live here.

Now as another wise poster said we are seeing this through our eyes, with our experiences and we are very happy with it, not everyone will share in that, but this is our opinion and we are not telling everyone they should love it, just telling you that we do.

I haven't mentioned once about our financial status, so don't go jumping on me please. We are happy with our little lot and can relax like we never could in the UK - without doing something this drastic.

This whole process does change you. It changes your view of the world. We didn't leave the UK cos we hated it, we just wanted to change how we lived day to day and that's exactly what we have done. It does give you itchy feet to see it all, but we just have to be patient and save !!

The very best of luck to all who are waiting and I just hope and pray that through any bad times you may have that you will come out the other side just half as happy as we are.

Jill, Warren, Imogen and Smudge
An excellent, emotional and funny post. You must must must continue to keep us updated. Karma sent xx
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

I am back on the site, but not in the form I was (now this is gonna sound really mad) something died in me when I went through all that Banana Diary business (still makes me shudder) . I have been pm-ing peeps if I can help with advice and generally keeping a low profile.

I lost the ability to be totally open with my writing (on site, not with friends). I now have to think very hard before I post and I will never forget how utterly poo it made me feel.

I sit for ages thinking should I write this or that and then chicken out. I know I shouldn't have let it get to me, but I am what I am. I can't even read the Banana Diaries yet and I printed it off as a momento, it has just totally ruined it for me.

Now I wanted to do a yearly update, cos there will be alot on the site who have no idea about the past diaries and may or may not be interested in how things have worked out for us, but it is very difficult to compose without wanting to say something really catty like "I'm not going to apologise for it working out for us etc"

Sorry just had to get that off my chest before I update, as it's probably going to make really boring reading.

We keep pinching ourselves as things are going so well. The ever so British optimism in me keeps a little voice in the back of my head alive, which pops up every now and again saying "Don't take this for granted - things change"
I can assure each and everyone of you that we don't take any of our good fortune for granted, it was a long time coming, we've had bad times and we are grateful for every single second we breathe in this beautiful place.

It's not been without it's mini dramas, but in the whole scheme of things they have been nothing more than blips.

We arrived here a year ago today, but Warren had to go back two weeks later, as the house sale had fell through three times. In total we were apart 3 1/2 months, which was hard at first, especially when I bought Imogen the dog and he and I cried for two days! - that was fun? at the time it felt awful, but you just get on with it. I discovered ME again and although it wasn't ideal, I learned I can cope without a man around, just LOL.

The day the house sold was probably one of the best bits of news I had heard in years, the relief was immense.

Imogen settled into her knew life extremely easily and having the web cam made all the difference when talking to her Dad. I have come to the conclusion that Imogen is more like me than I care to admit. She seems to very good at thinking about the positive in every situation and didn't seem at all phased about leaving the UK, or being away from her Dad. She just got on with it, shrugged her shoulders and just said "Well he'll be here soon"

She had a bit of a shaky start at school (not emotionally - thank God - but just with the work being at a different stage from her) and she ended up being moved up a year. This is quite common and it is just because the UK system teaches differently. Her confidence has soared in all aspects of her life. She continues to do well in gymnastics, horse riding and her swimming ability stuns me. She is a very happy little girl with a fab social life and is about to celebrate her eighth birthday.

The dog continues to think he rules the house and licks everyone to death, but we all love him dearly and spoil him rotten. He loves it when the girls come round as he is definitely a boob man (he's deprived with me you see).

Warren just totally loves his new job. He never relented in his pursuit, he went to 35 interviews and it took about 4 months for him to actually be in employment. In the end the agencies couldn't help him and he applied for one in the paper and got the position above the one he applied for. The agencies advised him to dumb down his UK experience as it was scaring employers off, but in the end he went with his gut instinct.

He has been to some fab places in Asia, Holland, Israel and is off to Sweden. You may think we haven't achieved our goal of spending more family time together, but you would be wrong. He leaves the house at a reasonable hour and is home at an equally reasonable hour compared to the horrendous daily travelling he did in the UK (shudder), he rarely saw daylight!! I quite enjoy him being away if that doesn't sound too awful, it gives us a healthy balance and Imogen and I have a great laugh together. It's also building up the air miles quite nicely which gives us a chance to accompany him. He may be off to New Zealand next year and he's on his orders "Not without us" LOL

He is back into his badminton and has been asked to coach and play in a State tournament. He plays golf with the boys (when the weather warms up a bit) and generally loves his life here more than he could have hoped for.

Now then there's me, the loon of the bunch. I can count on one hand the days when I have felt homesick, but they have passed pretty quickly and I have just got on with it. It's usually when I am tired to be honest. Sleep deprivation does mad things with ya head, so all make sure you get plenty of sleep, OK. After being here about 8 months things just started to fall into place and it just feels right.

The house is finished in 4 weeks and it has been a fantastic experience, which I am hoping in the new year will lead to a new career direction. It would have been impossible to have kept on top of things had I been working, so my advice is don't take this on lightly.

Hand on heart the best thing about Perth are my FANTASTIC friends who I love dearly. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be so lucky as to meet such an amazingly warm and funny group of girls. I feel very privileged to know them and would do anything for them.

Needless to say it's not just Imogen's social life that has improved, which has not helped my waistline at all. So if there is one negative out of all this I have piled on the pounds and I just know what my mother is going to say to me, when I pick her up from the airport in 8 weeks !! can't wait Seriously it will be just awesome seeing my Mum again, get the tissues ready.

Coming here has really changed me as a person, something I wasn't expecting at all. I have become alot more tolerant of other people and their opinions and alot more laid back.

Our weekends are just fab. We have been exploring WA have driven out to the hills, down to Margaret River, up North a bit and have so much more still left to do. The wildlife fascinates us (Warren has a picture gallery to prove it)and the countryside has been a very pleasant surprise. Perth is just beautiful and the city skyline still makes me feel very honoured to be allowed to live here.

Now as another wise poster said we are seeing this through our eyes, with our experiences and we are very happy with it, not everyone will share in that, but this is our opinion and we are not telling everyone they should love it, just telling you that we do.

I haven't mentioned once about our financial status, so don't go jumping on me please. We are happy with our little lot and can relax like we never could in the UK - without doing something this drastic.

This whole process does change you. It changes your view of the world. We didn't leave the UK cos we hated it, we just wanted to change how we lived day to day and that's exactly what we have done. It does give you itchy feet to see it all, but we just have to be patient and save !!

The very best of luck to all who are waiting and I just hope and pray that through any bad times you may have that you will come out the other side just half as happy as we are.

Jill, Warren, Imogen and Smudge
Great post Jill, glad you're back online - I used to enjoy your diaries and this post is just what I enjoy to hear. We are moving for the same reasons although to Sydney and not Perth, so I'm hoping and believing that our experiences will be similar to yours and that quality of life will improve significantly
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:05 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

I lost the ability to be totally open with my writing (on site, not with friends). I now have to think very hard before I post and I will never forget how utterly poo it made me feel......
Good going Jill.

Great to read of your progress and how settled you all feel after just a year in that wonderful country. As with so many others, reading this really lifted my spirit this morning. Thank you.

Please feel free to write from the heart - you do it so naturally. You are doing a lot of good for a lot of people by sharing so openly.

Thanks again.
God bless you and yours,
RT.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:23 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Happy aniversary to you Jill...and Warren.... and Imogin.... and the pooch

Loved your post and it's great to hear everything is panning out for you all, especially as you also went through a terrible time of being seperated from Warren as you came to Aus due to house falling through etc.

It takes some guts to do what you did coming here to get things settled, sorting all those things that most of us find difficult enough to do in couples...and then the house building supervision here in Aus.

I'm knackered just thinking about it

I'm also sorry to hear you've stopped posting the Banana diaries Jill.

I must have missed what happened and all I can say is it's a shame. I always loved your diaries, in fact they were a source of fun and inspiration to many on this site and I've no idea what's upset the applecart but I guess there will be more people upset at you not doing the diary than anyone who didn't like it [I guess this is what happened].

On a lighter note;when reading your diaries....I realised if you were normal...then I'm glad I'm bonkers

Joking apart, I loved "Jill's world". You brought a smile to lots on here so don't forget that

Anyways, just wanted to say "good on ya Sheila" for being positive and always seeing the best in everyone and everything ....especially when things were going pear shaped. And to wish you, Warren and Imogen many,many, many more happy years in Aus. You deserve it

Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

Dear Jill

Really wonderful to read your post.

I have sent you an Email...maybe you'd let me know if you don't get it!! Can't seem to track it anywhere!!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by debilloyd
We are moving for the same reasons although to Sydney and not Perth, so I'm hoping and believing that our experiences will be similar to yours and that quality of life will improve significantly
I think that this excellent post, together with the one by Phoenixuk2oz, shown below, show it can be just as good almost anywhere you go, if you approach with the right attitude

One year on in Aus
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313692

Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:48 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Jill !!

loved reading it, ive always wanted to do a post on what we've been doing since we arrived, but never quite know what to say !!!! but you seem really natural at it !!

anyway, hope to read more posts from you soon

fee
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:54 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

A big thankyou to everyone for all their kind words and all the Karma.

In a rush as going out to celebrate the year, will chat more soon, as have a very very hectic weekend.

Jill
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:15 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Happy first anniversary to you Jill, Warren, Imogen and smudge the mutt.

Great to have your update, people really appreciate hearing how folk are doing, for one thing I know that it helped me through my 'will it ever happen for me times' it gave me something to visualise and help me keep my enthusiasm alive. Now my visa has been granted to gave me a great sense of satisfaction reading your year update as I thought 'that will be me soon, I will be able to write a similar themed post'. It is brilliant that you and others write these insights it helps so much, I remember you describing the infrequent but obviously quite devastating bout of homesickness, and I have filed that away so you have forewarned me that they can happen, and I will be ready, so please when ever the urge takes you put your experiences/thoughts down as they DO help.

Good luck with the next year

Nicky
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Jill

I have sent you a private e-mail too. Cannot find it on my 'sent messages' so could you see of you received it when you have time.

Many thanks
Suzy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Bananas,

Your year has been so eventful.....and very fulfilling for you all.

You have honoured us by sharing the experiences and for that I am really greatful.

Thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.