Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our update A Year in Perth

Our update A Year in Perth

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:45 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our update A Year in Perth

We're new to this site, so not read the 'banana diaries', but as I've said in Phoenixuk2oz's similar theme thread, it is balanced, open-minded posts like this one that bring us back to BE again and again.

Thank you for your update. An inspiration.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:51 pm
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

A lovely refreshing post - thank you Jill. I, like another poster was feeling a bit deflated recently, but reading your experiences and great attitude to life was like a breath of fresh air again. We will all have different experiences in Australia, as we do in our everyday lives in UK, but it's how you adjust and react to them and how you go about life in general that makes the difference. You sound like a really warm, positive person with a great sense of humour and it's unsurprising you've found some good friends. Carry on enjoying your lives and good luck with the rest of it! I'll be looking forward to reading more of your posts so please do put some on. Whoever upset you in the past has made the rest of us miss out on a lovely read! Enjoy your anniversary celebrations & I can't wait to be doing the same. Best wishes & karma sent!
Sharon
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:20 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough

Nice post, and great to hear you are back.

Whilst people's opinions, thoughts and comments may often offend, it is people like you that are willing to share their experiences that make this forum worth while.

I guess the lesson for all is people should be a little more mindfull of others, and express their opinions in a way as not to offend.

Sending you some karma....Welcome back....
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:02 pm
FIZZBOT5

fizzbot5 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Our update A Year in Perth

Amazing post - totally inspiring - I just had to reply to this as we fly out to Adelaide in just over a week and I am suffering from the biggest case of cold feet ever. Reading this post has renewed my enthusiasm, thankyou so much

Fizzbot5
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear Jill. Don't let the ignorant gag you, write from the heart, it always reads better that way Heres to the next year!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:05 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Good post Jill, you have a fab way with words unlike me as we all know.

Just goes to show if you have the right attitude anythings possible.

Jenny
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jill, Welcome back,good to have you back on board. We are so thrilled that your new life is working out well for you all. We wish you all the best for whatever your future brings you. Don't forget to tell us when the house is completed , so we can all crack open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate with you. This was a great post. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:30 pm
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Desperate House Flies
I am back on the site, but not in the form I was (now this is gonna sound really mad) something died in me when I went through all that Banana Diary business (still makes me shudder) . I have been pm-ing peeps if I can help with advice and generally keeping a low profile.

I lost the ability to be totally open with my writing (on site, not with friends). I now have to think very hard before I post and I will never forget how utterly poo it made me feel.

I sit for ages thinking should I write this or that and then chicken out. I know I shouldn't have let it get to me, but I am what I am. I can't even read the Banana Diaries yet and I printed it off as a momento, it has just totally ruined it for me.

Now I wanted to do a yearly update, cos there will be alot on the site who have no idea about the past diaries and may or may not be interested in how things have worked out for us, but it is very difficult to compose without wanting to say something really catty like "I'm not going to apologise for it working out for us etc"

Sorry just had to get that off my chest before I update, as it's probably going to make really boring reading.

We keep pinching ourselves as things are going so well. The ever so British optimism in me keeps a little voice in the back of my head alive, which pops up every now and again saying "Don't take this for granted - things change"
I can assure each and everyone of you that we don't take any of our good fortune for granted, it was a long time coming, we've had bad times and we are grateful for every single second we breathe in this beautiful place.

It's not been without it's mini dramas, but in the whole scheme of things they have been nothing more than blips.

We arrived here a year ago today, but Warren had to go back two weeks later, as the house sale had fell through three times. In total we were apart 3 1/2 months, which was hard at first, especially when I bought Imogen the dog and he and I cried for two days! - that was fun? at the time it felt awful, but you just get on with it. I discovered ME again and although it wasn't ideal, I learned I can cope without a man around, just LOL.

The day the house sold was probably one of the best bits of news I had heard in years, the relief was immense.

Imogen settled into her knew life extremely easily and having the web cam made all the difference when talking to her Dad. I have come to the conclusion that Imogen is more like me than I care to admit. She seems to very good at thinking about the positive in every situation and didn't seem at all phased about leaving the UK, or being away from her Dad. She just got on with it, shrugged her shoulders and just said "Well he'll be here soon"

She had a bit of a shaky start at school (not emotionally - thank God - but just with the work being at a different stage from her) and she ended up being moved up a year. This is quite common and it is just because the UK system teaches differently. Her confidence has soared in all aspects of her life. She continues to do well in gymnastics, horse riding and her swimming ability stuns me. She is a very happy little girl with a fab social life and is about to celebrate her eighth birthday.

The dog continues to think he rules the house and licks everyone to death, but we all love him dearly and spoil him rotten. He loves it when the girls come round as he is definitely a boob man (he's deprived with me you see).

Warren just totally loves his new job. He never relented in his pursuit, he went to 35 interviews and it took about 4 months for him to actually be in employment. In the end the agencies couldn't help him and he applied for one in the paper and got the position above the one he applied for. The agencies advised him to dumb down his UK experience as it was scaring employers off, but in the end he went with his gut instinct.

He has been to some fab places in Asia, Holland, Israel and is off to Sweden. You may think we haven't achieved our goal of spending more family time together, but you would be wrong. He leaves the house at a reasonable hour and is home at an equally reasonable hour compared to the horrendous daily travelling he did in the UK (shudder), he rarely saw daylight!! I quite enjoy him being away if that doesn't sound too awful, it gives us a healthy balance and Imogen and I have a great laugh together. It's also building up the air miles quite nicely which gives us a chance to accompany him. He may be off to New Zealand next year and he's on his orders "Not without us" LOL

He is back into his badminton and has been asked to coach and play in a State tournament. He plays golf with the boys (when the weather warms up a bit) and generally loves his life here more than he could have hoped for.

Now then there's me, the loon of the bunch. I can count on one hand the days when I have felt homesick, but they have passed pretty quickly and I have just got on with it. It's usually when I am tired to be honest. Sleep deprivation does mad things with ya head, so all make sure you get plenty of sleep, OK. After being here about 8 months things just started to fall into place and it just feels right.

The house is finished in 4 weeks and it has been a fantastic experience, which I am hoping in the new year will lead to a new career direction. It would have been impossible to have kept on top of things had I been working, so my advice is don't take this on lightly.

Hand on heart the best thing about Perth are my FANTASTIC friends who I love dearly. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be so lucky as to meet such an amazingly warm and funny group of girls. I feel very privileged to know them and would do anything for them.

Needless to say it's not just Imogen's social life that has improved, which has not helped my waistline at all. So if there is one negative out of all this I have piled on the pounds and I just know what my mother is going to say to me, when I pick her up from the airport in 8 weeks !! can't wait Seriously it will be just awesome seeing my Mum again, get the tissues ready.

Coming here has really changed me as a person, something I wasn't expecting at all. I have become alot more tolerant of other people and their opinions and alot more laid back.

Our weekends are just fab. We have been exploring WA have driven out to the hills, down to Margaret River, up North a bit and have so much more still left to do. The wildlife fascinates us (Warren has a picture gallery to prove it)and the countryside has been a very pleasant surprise. Perth is just beautiful and the city skyline still makes me feel very honoured to be allowed to live here.

Now as another wise poster said we are seeing this through our eyes, with our experiences and we are very happy with it, not everyone will share in that, but this is our opinion and we are not telling everyone they should love it, just telling you that we do.

I haven't mentioned once about our financial status, so don't go jumping on me please. We are happy with our little lot and can relax like we never could in the UK - without doing something this drastic.

This whole process does change you. It changes your view of the world. We didn't leave the UK cos we hated it, we just wanted to change how we lived day to day and that's exactly what we have done. It does give you itchy feet to see it all, but we just have to be patient and save !!

The very best of luck to all who are waiting and I just hope and pray that through any bad times you may have that you will come out the other side just half as happy as we are.

Jill, Warren, Imogen and Smudge

Jill,

Thank you for a great post! I hope can do the same next year.

We arrive in Perth on 17.8.05.

Same ideas, we do not hate the Uk, I love my Scotland and adore Ireland, where hubby comes from.

Just want a better, easier way of life and more quality time.

Hope I am as lucky with the friends as you have been.

Thanks again.

Margie
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:09 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

The house is finished in 4 weeks and it has been a fantastic experience, which I am hoping in the new year will lead to a new career direction.
Mmmmm. This is interesting, keep us posted. I will be needing an interior designer ....

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Jill
Haven't been on here for a while but it was great to find and read your update. I hope the house completion goes well over the next few weeks and that you have a fab time with your mum.
Take care and best wishes to Imogen, Wonder Wozzy and Smudge
x x
Larissa
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mum, Are we there yet?!! is on a distinguished road

I am back on the site, ......The very best of luck to all who are waiting and I just hope and pray that through any bad times you may have that you will come out the other side just half as happy as we are.

Jill,

What a great read. I remember reading something called banana diaries but wasn't aware of any 'problems' - anyway I'm glad you've desided to give another great post! Like your name is it showing in Perth?

We arrive in Perth on 18.8.05.

Same ideas, we do not hate the Uk, we just want something different for us and little one whos 2 - a better, easier way of life and more quality time.
I agree it is friends who count and I hope I'm as lucky as you are with your friends.

Thanks again.

Anna
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:27 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

Said I wasn't going to do this anymore, but the day I have had, I need to let off some steam

Got to the house this morning and the guy laying the wood flooring at the back of the house put a nail through a water pipe and we had a gushing geezer in the kitchen area. Don't ask (it's the pipe for the ice-maker in the fridge). The plummer, an elusive chap, has yet to make an appearance and fix the problem or explain why the bloody hell we have a pipe in the floor in the first place.

I suspect that the building supervisor is now totally sick of me and has flushed his mobile down the loo as I have been trying to contact him for the last 3 hours and it's switched off. We had such a beautiful friendship ....

For the rest of the day I have been trying (with desperation in my eyes) to get a quote for limestone walling, that isn't the equivalent of the debt of a third world nation. Coupled with trying to find out what type of brick/block we like and which ones are suitable to retain a garden bed or not, it has been rather a arrrggghhh type of day. I was that mad at one place I demanded a cup of tea and they were too scared to say no, I was on the edge.

Perhaps I actually have had a breakdown as I am convinced someone has come into our rental and placed their and the rest of the streets ironing on top of mine and expects me to do it by the morning. I swear it's multiplied ten fold while I have been out.

Apart from that this Desperate House wife has a had an excellent weekend with party after party in a row and a very nice afternoon at Cirque Du Soleil on Sunday. Meeting Bordy and his wife was lovely and thanks to Scossie for organising a great night.

A big thank you to Maggy for looking after the dog all weekend and I do hope you and Mark feel better soon Mairi should never have uttered the words "I have a bottle of Jack Daniels I'll never drink, you are welcome to it......" BIG MISTAKE LOL

Oh and Imogen has been selected for the gym team and is doing trials for the State comps (that's a boast I don't give a stuff if I am slagged off for )

That's it for now, thanks for all the karma and the kind wishes

Jill
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am back on the site, but not in the form I was (now this is gonna sound really mad) something died in me when I went through all that Banana Diary business (still makes me shudder) . I have been pm-ing peeps if I can help with advice and generally keeping a low profile.

I lost the ability to be totally open with my writing (on site, not with friends). I now have to think very hard before I post and I will never forget how utterly poo it made me feel.

I sit for ages thinking should I write this or that and then chicken out. I know I shouldn't have let it get to me, but I am what I am. I can't even read the Banana Diaries yet and I printed it off as a momento, it has just totally ruined it for me.

Now I wanted to do a yearly update, cos there will be alot on the site who have no idea about the past diaries and may or may not be interested in how things have worked out for us, but it is very difficult to compose without wanting to say something really catty like "I'm not going to apologise for it working out for us etc"

Sorry just had to get that off my chest before I update, as it's probably going to make really boring reading.

We keep pinching ourselves as things are going so well. The ever so British optimism in me keeps a little voice in the back of my head alive, which pops up every now and again saying "Don't take this for granted - things change"
I can assure each and everyone of you that we don't take any of our good fortune for granted, it was a long time coming, we've had bad times and we are grateful for every single second we breathe in this beautiful place.

It's not been without it's mini dramas, but in the whole scheme of things they have been nothing more than blips.

We arrived here a year ago today, but Warren had to go back two weeks later, as the house sale had fell through three times. In total we were apart 3 1/2 months, which was hard at first, especially when I bought Imogen the dog and he and I cried for two days! - that was fun? at the time it felt awful, but you just get on with it. I discovered ME again and although it wasn't ideal, I learned I can cope without a man around, just LOL.

The day the house sold was probably one of the best bits of news I had heard in years, the relief was immense.

Imogen settled into her knew life extremely easily and having the web cam made all the difference when talking to her Dad. I have come to the conclusion that Imogen is more like me than I care to admit. She seems to very good at thinking about the positive in every situation and didn't seem at all phased about leaving the UK, or being away from her Dad. She just got on with it, shrugged her shoulders and just said "Well he'll be here soon"

She had a bit of a shaky start at school (not emotionally - thank God - but just with the work being at a different stage from her) and she ended up being moved up a year. This is quite common and it is just because the UK system teaches differently. Her confidence has soared in all aspects of her life. She continues to do well in gymnastics, horse riding and her swimming ability stuns me. She is a very happy little girl with a fab social life and is about to celebrate her eighth birthday.

The dog continues to think he rules the house and licks everyone to death, but we all love him dearly and spoil him rotten. He loves it when the girls come round as he is definitely a boob man (he's deprived with me you see).

Warren just totally loves his new job. He never relented in his pursuit, he went to 35 interviews and it took about 4 months for him to actually be in employment. In the end the agencies couldn't help him and he applied for one in the paper and got the position above the one he applied for. The agencies advised him to dumb down his UK experience as it was scaring employers off, but in the end he went with his gut instinct.

He has been to some fab places in Asia, Holland, Israel and is off to Sweden. You may think we haven't achieved our goal of spending more family time together, but you would be wrong. He leaves the house at a reasonable hour and is home at an equally reasonable hour compared to the horrendous daily travelling he did in the UK (shudder), he rarely saw daylight!! I quite enjoy him being away if that doesn't sound too awful, it gives us a healthy balance and Imogen and I have a great laugh together. It's also building up the air miles quite nicely which gives us a chance to accompany him. He may be off to New Zealand next year and he's on his orders "Not without us" LOL

He is back into his badminton and has been asked to coach and play in a State tournament. He plays golf with the boys (when the weather warms up a bit) and generally loves his life here more than he could have hoped for.

Now then there's me, the loon of the bunch. I can count on one hand the days when I have felt homesick, but they have passed pretty quickly and I have just got on with it. It's usually when I am tired to be honest. Sleep deprivation does mad things with ya head, so all make sure you get plenty of sleep, OK. After being here about 8 months things just started to fall into place and it just feels right.

The house is finished in 4 weeks and it has been a fantastic experience, which I am hoping in the new year will lead to a new career direction. It would have been impossible to have kept on top of things had I been working, so my advice is don't take this on lightly.

Hand on heart the best thing about Perth are my FANTASTIC friends who I love dearly. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be so lucky as to meet such an amazingly warm and funny group of girls. I feel very privileged to know them and would do anything for them.

Needless to say it's not just Imogen's social life that has improved, which has not helped my waistline at all. So if there is one negative out of all this I have piled on the pounds and I just know what my mother is going to say to me, when I pick her up from the airport in 8 weeks !! can't wait Seriously it will be just awesome seeing my Mum again, get the tissues ready.

Coming here has really changed me as a person, something I wasn't expecting at all. I have become alot more tolerant of other people and their opinions and alot more laid back.

Our weekends are just fab. We have been exploring WA have driven out to the hills, down to Margaret River, up North a bit and have so much more still left to do. The wildlife fascinates us (Warren has a picture gallery to prove it)and the countryside has been a very pleasant surprise. Perth is just beautiful and the city skyline still makes me feel very honoured to be allowed to live here.

Now as another wise poster said we are seeing this through our eyes, with our experiences and we are very happy with it, not everyone will share in that, but this is our opinion and we are not telling everyone they should love it, just telling you that we do.

I haven't mentioned once about our financial status, so don't go jumping on me please. We are happy with our little lot and can relax like we never could in the UK - without doing something this drastic.

This whole process does change you. It changes your view of the world. We didn't leave the UK cos we hated it, we just wanted to change how we lived day to day and that's exactly what we have done. It does give you itchy feet to see it all, but we just have to be patient and save !!

The very best of luck to all who are waiting and I just hope and pray that through any bad times you may have that you will come out the other side just half as happy as we are.

Fan-bloody-tastic Jill and I am so glad you are back - i didnt realise it was you until i read this thread!! d'uh!!!

Keep it coming - its the best!!
Jacs x
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice
Smile Re: Our update A Year in Perth

I am so glad that you and your family are happy. Life is not a rehearsal and I am really happy for you that you have got things just as you want them.

That is exactly what I want for me and my family

Continued happiness !!!!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jill,

Its nice to read how things are going for you all.

I used to really enjoy reading the original 'Banana Diary', it was just so human, down to earth and gave me damn good giggle - I dont know what happened to stop you writing it, I can hazzard a guess though as its probably for the self same reason that I rarely post on here myself nowadays.

Glad to see you back writing on here again.

K