Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our moving & set up costs

Our moving & set up costs

Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:12 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Our moving & set up costs

I know everyone is always interested in this so here's our costs.

A little background:

We moved from Canada and did not have jobs or any accomadation lined up when we arrived. We just figured we would find something on arrival, and we did. We did not ship anything with us so we arrived with only 5 suitcases/bags and our carry ons. We would have brought more but were concerned it wouldn't fit in the car. Everything just fit in our Nissan X-Trail so it's a good thing we didn't bring any more.

The moving company in Canada had quoted us $15,000 to move our things. We did have some nice things, but some of it we didn't care about anyway. Our intention was only to come to Australia for about 3 years or so, so we decided we would just buy new stuff when we arrived and sell it when we left. We estimated that it would take about $15,000 to buy everything again here (about right too).

The first month in Australia we spent in hotels, travelling about while my husband had interviews. We spent about 3-4 days in Sydney and then a few weeks around Newcastle, Hunter Valley area. We also made a trip up to Brisbane and back to Newcastle once in that month. At the end of our first month here we moved up to Brisbane where my husband had found a job.

So, that about covers it. Here's our spreadsheet of costs. Note the different tabs at the bottom so you can see our cost while travelling the first month here, and then a separate tab for our setting up house costs. I've tried to make it as detailed and as user friendly as possible.

The excel file is from the newest version, so had to save in an older version in order to upload. Looks like it should still work ok though.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice
Default Re: Our moving & set up costs

Hi

Useful information! you didnt mention kids in your post but I see baby things in the list? How many kids do you have?

Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by honeybee
Hi

Useful information! you didnt mention kids in your post but I see baby things in the list? How many kids do you have?

Thanks
Oh yah, forgot to mention that!

We have two kids. My daughter is almost 4 and my son is 14 months right now. I put the kids items in a separate column because I know not everyone will have those expenses. Although I suspect that column would be replaced with school related expenses like uniforms.

So for us to set up again required 2 car seats, a highchair and a cot unfortunately. It sucked to buy everything again because we had great stuff in Canada.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a really great file H.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

I guess at their age (kids) they think its one big adventure?

Good for you guys!

Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:12 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by honeybee
I guess at their age (kids) they think its one big adventure?

Good for you guys!

Yah, they didn't completely understand though. The baby was easy, he was only 8 months when we moved so it's just a different bed as far as he's concerned!

My 3 year old thought we were moving to a "beach party". She understood that we were moving, or at least she did when she saw all the boxes and moving truck She was quite good about it actually, we just kept telling her we'd go shopping for new stuff. She really liked that idea! She gets that we've moved and have a new house, car, stuff, etc, but she doesn't really get that we're in a new country.

She does know that her family and friends are really far away and that she can't see them all the time, unless we take a couple of planes. So she's getting there, but I think world geography is a bit beyond her grasp!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:53 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
I know everyone is always interested in this so here's our costs.

A little background:

We moved from Canada and did not have jobs or any accomadation lined up when we arrived. We just figured we would find something on arrival, and we did. We did not ship anything with us so we arrived with only 5 suitcases/bags and our carry ons. We would have brought more but were concerned it wouldn't fit in the car. Everything just fit in our Nissan X-Trail so it's a good thing we didn't bring any more.

The moving company in Canada had quoted us $15,000 to move our things. We did have some nice things, but some of it we didn't care about anyway. Our intention was only to come to Australia for about 3 years or so, so we decided we would just buy new stuff when we arrived and sell it when we left. We estimated that it would take about $15,000 to buy everything again here (about right too).

The first month in Australia we spent in hotels, travelling about while my husband had interviews. We spent about 3-4 days in Sydney and then a few weeks around Newcastle, Hunter Valley area. We also made a trip up to Brisbane and back to Newcastle once in that month. At the end of our first month here we moved up to Brisbane where my husband had found a job.

So, that about covers it. Here's our spreadsheet of costs. Note the different tabs at the bottom so you can see our cost while travelling the first month here, and then a separate tab for our setting up house costs. I've tried to make it as detailed and as user friendly as possible.

The excel file is from the newest version, so had to save in an older version in order to upload. Looks like it should still work ok though.
Fantastic post, thankyou very much!

If anyone else would be kind enough to share their same information or data, and maybe even make it a sticky, updated every six months, i am sure that it could and would help alot of people out and make the move considerably less stressfull, as the cost burden is sometimes the worst part as it is completely an unknown.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

nice post x
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Glad you all like it. I was just hoping someone might find it useful.

I know our case was a bit different because we had to buy an entire house full of new stuff. Although if we had shipped it the cost would have been the same.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:59 am
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Excellent post - thanks for taking the time to do this very helpful for budgeting set up costs. We're also not bringing much with us as we'd rather spend the money on new gear rather than take old stuff!