Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Aussie Equivalent

Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Aussie Equivalent

Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Aussie Equivalent

Anybody know whether there is an Aussie equivalent of the (UK) Duke of Edinburgh's Award?

I'm led to believe the DoE Award involves lots of walking and organised, structured outdoor activities, although I never participated myself. I was always too busy recovering from hangovers etc to get involved in that kind of nonsense

I'd like to be able to get the kids away from the XBOX's and encourage them to enjoy the 'great outdoors' if I can

Cheers
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Aussie Equivalent

Originally Posted by tictac
Anybody know whether there is an Aussie equivalent of the (UK) Duke of Edinburgh's Award?
Yes, there is. It's the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Australia.
http://www.dukeofed.org.au/

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie equivalent is the Duke of Edinburgh's award :
http://www.dukeofed.org.au/

My kids both did their bronze at school.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm led to believe the DoE Award involves lots of walking and organised, structured outdoor activities, although I never participated myself. I was always too busy recovering from hangovers etc to get involved in that kind of nonsense

I'd like to be able to get the kids away from the XBOX's and encourage them to enjoy the 'great outdoors' if I can

Cheers
I think DoE is done in Australia?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Might be able to get you some contact details tomorrow - you're in Brisbane, aren't you? We deal with some Award stuff for the SES cadets, so I'll see if I can find you a contactif you like
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info all

Pollyana, yes we're in Brisbane - northside, a 'cockstride' from yourself as it happens

I've always wondered whether the DoE award is done through the schools, or via some external club or other

Just what is the SES cadets? (jumps quickly onto google)

Last edited by tictac; Dec 4th 2007 at 11:03 am. Reason: missed a bit
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info all

Pollyana, yes we're in Brisbane - northside, a 'cockstride' from yourself as it happens

I've always wondered whether the DoE award is done through the schools, or via some external club or other

Just what is the SES cadets? (jumps quickly onto google)
12-18 year olds, they do map reading skills, boat skills, leadership, all that sort of stuff.
http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/cade...ing/cadets.asp
They don't have a unit on the northside though, the nearest is south-west Brisbane. The stuff on the net is a bit dated but basically accurate. A lot of them go on to join the SES, which at present they can do once they are 16. Again, if you're interested I can find you some contacts, either in the SES or Cadets. The Cadets don't do "live" operational stuff, so you won't see them on rooves or cutting up trees, its all very safe!!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:13 am
Home and Happy

The Duke Of Edinburgh stuff I think is organised through the Dept of Communities, but I've not been dealing with the Cadets long so I'd have to check that. A couple of the Groups do the DofE courses, I think Ipswich is the closest, but its quite possibly also available through schools. I'll check it out for you tomorrow

PM me your email address if you like, then if I find anything electronically I can send it to you Anything of general interest I'll put on here as well though, in case anyone else is interested.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Duke Of Edinburgh stuff I think is organised through the Dept of Communities, but I've not been dealing with the Cadets long so I'd have to check that. A couple of the Groups do the DofE courses, I think Ipswich is the closest, but its quite possibly also available through schools. I'll check it out for you tomorrow

PM me your email address if you like, then if I find anything electronically I can send it to you Anything of general interest I'll put on here as well though, in case anyone else is interested.
Much appreciated, thanks

Karma and PM sent
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:38 pm
Home and Happy

Much appreciated, thanks

Karma and PM sent
I'll be in touch tomorrow
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll be in touch tomorrow
Polly, could you send me the info aswell. Our lad was very disappointed not being able to do it and it would make his day if I tell he can still take part
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:42 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Polly, could you send me the info aswell. Our lad was very disappointed not being able to do it and it would make his day if I tell he can still take part
Yep, no problem, pm me with an email address. Not sure if you are back here yet? But either way let me know whereabouts in Queensland and then I'll try and get you local contact details.